1976 Ford/Reagan vs. Carter/Udall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:39:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976 Ford/Reagan vs. Carter/Udall
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976 Ford/Reagan vs. Carter/Udall  (Read 681 times)
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:22:23 PM »

Does Reagan give Ford the boost to be re-elected?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:58:57 PM »

Yes, Ford picks up OH, HI and Washington's "faithless elector" to win, 2000-style, 270-268 EV while still narrowly losing the PV.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »

18,489 votes in Ohio and Hawaii was all Ford needed to win 270-268. Probably 20,000 to avoid a recount. Yeah, Reagan would probably flip the election. I think Ford might prevent stagflation, and if it waits until 1979, the Democratic congress could be blamed a la Harry Truman 1948.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:50:32 PM »

Reagan in 1976 was seen by a lot of people as a scary right wing radical war monger. A sort of Goldwater 2.0 who wanted to end social security and Medicaid. Remember how many people were terrified by the idea of Reagan having control of the nuclear arsenal? Reagan could help Ford in the South and West but then hurt him in the Midwest and Northeast. He would not be guaranteed to help Ford win.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »

Reagan in 1976 was seen by a lot of people as a scary right wing radical war monger. A sort of Goldwater 2.0 who wanted to end social security and Medicaid. Remember how many people were terrified by the idea of Reagan having control of the nuclear arsenal? Reagan could help Ford in the South and West but then hurt him in the Midwest and Northeast. He would not be guaranteed to help Ford win.
I sure do remember. Having grown up in conservative blue collar Macomb, MI, I was a fresh 18 y/o voter in Cambridge, MA (MIT) in the fall of '84. Especially having seen the movie "Dreamscape", and being reminded daily of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists' Doomsday clock (four minutes till midnight!), I got the sense from the majority of those around me (Cambridge went 76.2% for Mondale) that a Reagan victory was sure to mean nuclear holocaust, not to mention war on the poor. Most Americans outside my new home city didn't buy it, though, which helped Reagan win a landslide.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies