Outgoing Ark Gov Mike Huckabee is thinking of a run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:51:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Outgoing Ark Gov Mike Huckabee is thinking of a run
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Outgoing Ark Gov Mike Huckabee is thinking of a run  (Read 3184 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2005, 09:47:40 AM »

www.politics1.com reported today that outgoing Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee is telling friends that he will seek the GOP's nomination in 2008.

This really is somebody that not very many people have thought of for 2008.

He might have a pretty good chance, however, I think just as much as Americans dont want another Bush or Clinton in the White House, they may not want another Arkansan or Texan in there, either.

Let me know what you think about Mikey's chances?
MissCatholic

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 09:52:01 AM »

He took quite a hard stance on gay marriage. So he could have a good shot as the religious right will like his stances on the moral issues that they CHOSE to discuss.

Good shout BushOklahoma.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 10:34:42 AM »

A fair number of people have raised this possibility in the past.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 10:54:13 AM »

He seems like a pretty good guy, much different from most Republicans.

I admire his ability to turn his health around and lose weight, as well as making health care more accessible and affordable to children.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 11:41:10 AM »

Could Huckabee be described as a moderate Republican?

Dave
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 11:46:16 AM »

Dave

I would describe him as a moderate-conservative Republican?  Meaning, he's not far-right, like Rick Santorum, nor is he center-right like Lincoln Chafee.  I think he's just to the right of John McCain by a couple notches.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 12:53:58 PM »

I dunno if Americans can swallow a President Huckabee.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 02:47:17 PM »

His chances are pretty good, but seriously, I would hope to die before I see that day.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 02:49:20 PM »

huckabee has an excellent shot at becoming president.

oh wait....i think i just saw a pig flying outside my window..... Smiley
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 03:01:26 PM »

Dave

I would describe him as a moderate-conservative Republican?  Meaning, he's not far-right, like Rick Santorum, nor is he center-right like Lincoln Chafee.  I think he's just to the right of John McCain by a couple notches.

Santorum is NOT far right. He's a mainstream conservative.

Chafee is NOT center right. He's doesn't have many views that could make him rightwing.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 03:13:58 PM »

wtf?  He described his most liberal aspect as his support for the arts.  That's far right.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 03:17:50 PM »

I agree that he's not a great national candidate, but in some ways that's too bad. He has a tremendous record on health and technology issues, pretty strong on taxes as well. He's legitimately a good executive and good guy in general.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 03:37:10 PM »

I read somewhere he wants to give in-state tuition to illegal immigrants for state universities and colleges.  If that's true he will be totally unacceptable to me and to many other Republican primary voters.  I may *gulp* even consider voting Hillary if he is that wrong on the most important issue of this day.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 03:41:13 PM »

He's a populist, generally.  He's pretty conservative socially, but he's progressive on education and has done a lot of work on health care.

If the race was Kerry vs. Huckabee, or possibly even Hillary vs. Huckabee, there would be a good chance I would vote Huckabee.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 04:40:43 PM »

Dave

Santorum is NOT far right. He's a mainstream conservative.

Thank you. People have to give up that thought that he's a far right winger.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 04:48:12 PM »

Phil,

I wasn't dogging Rick Santorum by calling him far-right.  I think that can be a good thing.  I really like the guy, and I think he's a good Senator for PA and a good Senator for the nation.  We could use his leadership in the Senate like we could use rain in a drought.  He's conservative and conservative is good.

Just had to tell you,

Jeff
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 04:50:35 PM »

Phil,

I wasn't dogging Rick Santorum by calling him far-right.  I think that can be a good thing.  I really like the guy, and I think he's a good Senator for PA and a good Senator for the nation.  We could use his leadership in the Senate like we could use rain in a drought.  He's conservative and conservative is good.

Just had to tell you,

Jeff

Whether you think it's a good thing or not, he's not far right. People buy into that line because the Dems are constantly saying it. In reality, he's your standard conservative.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 04:55:22 PM »

Phil,

Just had to tell you,

Jeff

Whether you think it's a good thing or not, he's not far right. People buy into that line because the Dems are constantly saying it. In reality, he's your standard conservative.

I admit I could have used a better example of far-right, because you're right, Santorum is in the mainstream conservative boat.  I should have used someone like my own freshman senator Tom Coburn.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 05:25:57 PM »

Whether you think it's a good thing or not, he's not far right.

He is most definitely far right, maybe the biggest right-wing loony in the Senate. He's way too far right for the voters of Pennsylvania, and I expect Bob Casey to take his seat next year.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 05:28:57 PM »

Whether you think it's a good thing or not, he's not far right.

He is most definitely far right, maybe the biggest right-wing loony in the Senate. He's way too far right for the voters of Pennsylvania, and I expect Bob Casey to take his seat next year.

Biggest right wing loony in the Senate? Not Jim Bunning?

He's not far right and the people of Pennsylvania like the man. Bob Casey is only likely to win because he's the most popular Democrat in the state. Otherwise, Santorum would win re-election fairly easily.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 05:35:04 PM »

He's not far right and the people of Pennsylvania like the man. Bob Casey is only likely to win because he's the most popular Democrat in the state. Otherwise, Santorum would win re-election fairly easily.

Santorum has truly been exposed for the far right-wing loony he is since Bush has been in office. Any decent Democratic candidate would likely beat him in 2006.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 05:53:03 PM »

Dave

I guess Linc Chafee will be dismayed to hear he is now center-right, especially since he has tried pretty hard to run to the left at every opportunity. 

As for Huckabee, he's a toadie of Tyson Foods, and his immigration policy reflects it.

He will not be the GOP nominee.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 11:48:19 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2005, 01:36:46 AM by FuturePrez R-AZ »

I read somewhere he wants to give in-state tuition to illegal immigrants for state universities and colleges.  If that's true he will be totally unacceptable to me and to many other Republican primary voters.  I may *gulp* even consider voting Hillary if he is that wrong on the most important issue of this day.

As for Huckabee, he's a toadie of Tyson Foods, and his immigration policy reflects it.

So did I hear that correctly about the instate tuition?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 12:38:09 AM »

Santorum isn't as far to the right as Bunning, Coburn, or Inhofe, but he is pretty damn far to the right, fairly close to Demint
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005, 02:47:55 AM »

Santorum isn't as far to the right as Bunning, Coburn, or Inhofe, but he is pretty damn far to the right, fairly close to Demint
Bunning isn't rightwing. He's merely mad as a hatter.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies