NE1: Refugee Act of 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 02:27:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Refugee Act of 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NE1: Refugee Act of 2016  (Read 723 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 05:33:34 PM »

I propose this amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 05:36:32 PM »

I propose this amendment:

This amendment is friendly.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »

Should have made it clearer but what is the psych test? Are we going to turn people away for mental health issues?

Again, the issue of immigration is left to the Federal Government. Going on precedent as Griffin said

Now, obviously the Atlasian Refugee Act of 1980 vests all power in quotas for refugee handling exclusively in the executive branch - namely, in this case, the President - with the notion that refugees processed and accepted are admitted based on the definition of "any person who is outside any country of such person nationality or, in the case of a person having no nationality, is outside any country in which such person last habitually resided, and who is unable or unwilling to return to, and is unable or unwilling to avail himself or herself of the protection of, that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion".

Furthermore, since the definition of refugee excludes "any person who ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on ... account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion", the refugee vetting process will handle any possibilities for organized discrimination of groups based on religion and will exclude anyone falling under this definition from qualifying for refugee status.

The White House is willing and looks forward to working with anyone and everyone on this matter in the coming days and weeks. 

I've always been a relative believer in following the rules here-I'm not going to want to sue my own government to stop a Refugee bill that I approve but we need to follow the Constitution. I'm happy to help draft a bill to the Senate-frankly they've been too slow to actually change anything, and that's a massive issue. We should have got something done before-however the lack of Senate activity doesn't give us a right to pass something that we frankly can't enforce
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 06:14:23 PM »

Should have made it clearer but what is the psych test? Are we going to turn people away for mental health issues?

Depends on what said mental health issues are. If it's something completely harmless, then I'm sure we could accept those refugees. If it would endanger the Northeast population, then we have no choice but to send them back, unfortunately.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 06:22:24 PM »

I will still be challenging this in court
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2016, 07:34:06 PM »

If this passes, then I'll see you there.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2016, 08:50:53 PM »

Additionally, I can't see anything relating to immigration within the Constitution - so there's no Constitutional block to prevent us from passing this bill, from what I can see.

Umm...

Quote from: Restricted
pikachu
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2016, 02:17:05 AM »

First, per the SOAP, we do not vote on a redraft as an override vote. An override vote requires a member to motion for it, and then we'll proceed to have a 48 hour vote. If anyone has any interest in proposing a different version of this bill, put in the legislation introduction thread.

On this bill itself, upon further consideration, I don't think we have the power to control immigration and decide which refugees we want to accept and not. I don't think that can be done irl. If we do want to make a better refugee bill, we should try seeing what we can do to help refugees that the federal government is sending to us. Things like focused English education classes, making it easier for kids to be integrated in the public school system, subsidized transit, are more within our purview and could have a real effect on these peoples' lives. Regardless, these things are probably left for a different bill.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »

After thinking this over, I think that doing something illegally is not the right way to do something. I withdraw the bill, and will not support an override vote.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2016, 02:58:31 PM »

Additionally, I can't see anything relating to immigration within the Constitution - so there's no Constitutional block to prevent us from passing this bill, from what I can see.

Umm...

Quote from: Restricted
"Naturalisation is the legal act or process by which a non-citizen in a country may acquire citizenship or nationality of that country."

Citizenship isn't the same as immigration, migrants aren't required to become citizens.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies