Will you run for higher office?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:02:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Will you run for higher office?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Will you run for higher office?  (Read 7487 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2004, 11:40:14 PM »

I don't claim one-hundred percent consistency, but I'm willing to admit that you thought of this separation first, in your W's legacy thread.  But as I said there, I don't think it is that simple.  The moralists (feed the hungry, house the homeless, protect the minority from the 'tyranny' of the majority) will find a home in the Democrat party for some time to come.  The traditionalists (concerned with property rights, low taxes, and suspect of changing mores) will find a home in the GOP for some time to come.  And the two major parties will have to fight over the individualists.  That's not some fundamental change, but rather a continuation of what's already on the table.  Some posters vaguely recognize this phenomenon, apparently, when they suggest CO and AZ as potential targets for Kerry, but what they fail to recognize is that, in order to swing individualist voters there, he would have to take positions which, if repeated in the Philadelphia enquirer (for example), would alienate valuable suburban voters Back East.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2004, 11:45:02 PM »

I don't claim one-hundred percent consistency, but I'm willing to admit that you thought of this separation first, in your W's legacy thread.  

I wasn't responding to you.  I was responding to someone outside the GOP trying to form a wedge between you and me.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2004, 12:28:07 AM »

I do wonder how long it will be before the split between the "religious right" wing of the party and the libertarian wing gets to be too big to reconcile, though. The libertarians, after all, are on the "wrong" side of the culture war in the eyes of the traditionalists, and thus are often, it seems, viewed as no better than liberal Democrats for those Republicans who see social issues as of paramount importance.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2004, 10:07:42 AM »

I think that the GOP will be heading for trouble. I know a lot more about Republicans now then I did before I joined the board. It's hard for me to understand that peopel like you, Don, Andrew, etc can share a party with people like Jmfcst, Brambilla, StatesRights and so on. I mean, there are fundamental differences there.

The fundamental difference is that I choose to be 100% consistent.  I do so by admitting that I don't know more than God.  You, on the other hand, have admitted you have "sense enough" to take positions contrary to the one whom you yourself claim is God.

So, I ask you, who is the extremist:  the one who humbles himself, or the one claiming to know more than God?  

I don't see your point, I'm afraid. I'm not claiming that anyone is more extremist than anyone else, only that an atheist libertarian who's pro-gay rights is a long way from a conservative christian.

And claiming that I'm trying to drive a wedge between you and anyone else, is, I must say, border-line ridiculous. I don't think you Republicans are that easily manipulated, or perhaps I should rather say that my arrogance does not extend that far.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2004, 02:02:36 PM »

Nym, you're making many tacit assumptions.  I'm sure you know that, but I'd like to point out, again, is the fundamental identifying characteristic of the GOP:  overt nationalism (call it wrapping oneself up in the flag or whatever else you like.)  It is and always has been thus.  My point is that "rich guy" or "religious nut" or "gun-toting fool" or "greedy amoral pig" or "entrepreneur" or "orthodox jew" or "evangelical christian" or "sportsman" or "nascar dad" doesn't describe the GOP.  We are all those things.  Some of us are none of those things.  But what we all have in common is unshakable faith in the intrinsic beneficence and wisdom of the Constitution of the United States.

And, for the record, I AM NOT WAGING A CULTURE WAR AGAINST YOU OR JOHN KERRY OR JMFCST OR ANYONE ELSE.  And I know of no one actually waging a culture war against me.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2004, 06:34:27 AM »

rough outline of plan:

Yr. 11 at school
Work on re-election campaign of local Member Michael Danby

Yr. 12 (final year)

First year of Arts/Law degree, at ANU in Canberra. Major in International Law.
Work as staffer at Danby's Canberra office.

Second year, stay as staffer

Third year, staffer

Fourth year, staffer

Fifth and final year, staffer

EITHER
1. Get job running Danby's local office
2. Join a law firm-keep involved in the ALP
3. Join the department of Foreign Affairs and trad, This leads to becoming a diplomat and hopefully getting the post of ambassador to the UK, US or UN Smiley

1. Obviously leads to be preselected to run for the seat once Danby retires, number two is to make a good career and then fight for preselection. Both end with being PM Smiley

Thats the plan, anyway Wink
iowarep

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2004, 08:17:59 PM »

I will run for Mayor of Davenport, and then, perhaps, Governor of Iowa. I don't know if Iowa will accept my conservative policies.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2004, 09:44:29 PM »

PB-when i pretended to be Iowan, I pretended to be from Daenport Smiley

I researched it quite deeply, and it sounds like a great place Smiley

One thing i always had trouble with-whats the fourth quad city? Davenport, Moline, Rock Island, and Bettendorf, i thought, but i'm not sure...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies