Will you run for higher office?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:09:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Will you run for higher office?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Will you run for higher office?  (Read 7486 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2004, 04:51:34 AM »

For all of you now who want to become politicians, answer honestly:

Do you have the oratory skills necessary to become a politician?

Have you taken any part in your school's forensics club/team?

Can you CONNECT with voters of all ages, and not just those of your political ideology?

If you are an extremeist, can you play yourself off as a moderate?

Why should you get the job when there's probably someone more qualified than you also running?

I would say that my oratorical skill is not great however I tend to speak in a conversational way which relies heavily on a series of basic facts that I will attempt to hammer home…

I have been in school debating groups (in what ever guise) a lot and was in one at college and have am now involved in friends university’s here in the UK… I have a 50/50 record of winning… but when I win it’s mostly because before hand I settle on a few facts and stick to them solidly all ways drawing the debates back to these facts and linking other issues with them…

I am fairly good at tailoring my arguments to an audience, common sense (the language of all moderates) is a very potent weapon of mine… I seldom dismiss any but the most extreme arguments or concerns… and am very keen to listen to what ordinary people think and are concerned about rather than what I want them to be concerned about or think they think (an affliction of many conservatives and liberals alike)…

Not being an extremist there is no need to pretend to be a moderate, I am a moderate with some populist tendencies (to the left on trade and to the right on defence and foreign policy)…

There are better speakers and more thoughtful people out there who would make better candidates for most offices than me… however I care a great deal about this nation and its people and want to reflect there views, address their fears and allow them to make real their hopes… and if I ever considered running for office that would be my motivation because I care and because I can do a good job of it…                      
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2004, 05:03:45 AM »

Yes

What's a forensics team? Huh

Can you CONNECT with voters of all ages, and not just those of your political ideology?

Yes

I'm not an extremist. But if I was I could Wink

Why should you get the job when there's probably someone more qualified than you also running?

Because he/she is a carpetbagger and a puppet of big busines/the establishment/The Enemy

forensics team is a debating team Al Wink. Weird Americans.. lol j/k Wink
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2004, 05:30:33 AM »

I think you all should read "Splitting the Difference: Compromise and Integrity in Ethics and Politics." Really good piece of literature.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2004, 03:29:49 PM »

Hmm, some interesting responses so far. I think you'd do well, Don.

Next big issue:

It is a well-known fact that being in politics (especially federal level) requires you to sacrifice some of your ethics to advance, and in some cases, even get the support necessary to re-election. Could you actually sacrifice your personal code of ethics in order to succeed as a politician?

I've get plenty more questions, don't worry. Going to bed now though.

I think this question is one of the big ones, and one of the reason why I don't see myself running for office.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2004, 03:34:38 PM »

Yes

What's a forensics team? Huh

Yes

I'm not an extremist. But if I was I could Wink

Because he/she is a carpetbagger and a puppet of big busines/the establishment/The Enemy

forensics team is a debating team Al Wink. Weird Americans.. lol j/k Wink

Glad you asked.  I must admit I didn't know either.  And I actually was on my high school's debate team.  That was half a lifetime ago...
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2004, 06:06:14 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2004, 06:10:13 PM by HockeyDude »

Yes, I would definetely like to be in public office someday.  I think a congressman in a liberal district at best.  I don't really think the mainstream would appreciate me on social issues, I'm almost uber-left.  Believe me, if I were ever President in a time with a democratic congress and supreme court, republicans would hate me 10,000x more than they ever hated Clinton.  
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2004, 11:09:07 AM »

Yes, I would definetely like to be in public office someday.  I think a congressman in a liberal district at best.  I don't really think the mainstream would appreciate me on social issues, I'm almost uber-left.  Believe me, if I were ever President in a time with a democratic congress and supreme court, republicans would hate me 10,000x more than they ever hated Clinton.  

most probably you will get more moderate as you get older.... it seems to me young people are always more extreme, at my school it is true at least.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2004, 10:44:36 AM »

Situation for all you future politicians: You haven't been able to bring in any money into your district -- the polls show a close race, and someone offers you a big boost for whatever your district/area/whatever needs -- however, you have to vote X on issue Y, despite your objection.

What do you do? Get re-elected, compromise a little ethics? Much easier said than done, especially in a career as vicious as politics.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2004, 06:55:42 PM »

Situation for all you future politicians: You haven't been able to bring in any money into your district -- the polls show a close race, and someone offers you a big boost for whatever your district/area/whatever needs -- however, you have to vote X on issue Y, despite your objection.

What do you do? Get re-elected, compromise a little ethics? Much easier said than done, especially in a career as vicious as politics.

"The first duty of a public servant is to be reelected."
-Mayor Charles W. Brooke, Davenport, Iowa
thepoliticthorp

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2004, 02:59:07 AM »

Hello, Everyone. This is my first post on these forums so if something goofs bear with me :-)

A wise soul once said "Every now and then, an innocent man is sent to the Legislature."

Would I run for higher office. I have, and look forward to doing so again.

Do I feel I have what it takes to connect with the voters?
In just six years my district has moved from a swing R to a swing D district. And when I ran two years ago, I got a late start and, with zero name recognition, ran a severely underfunded campaign. Yet when all was said and done I researched the results of my campaign and found that where I was able to reach the voters my message connected. Based on this I believe that had I been better prepared I would have won or, at worst, lost by a very narrow margin.

Why should I be elected over someone who is more qualified? And what, pray tell, "qualifies" one candidate over another? A long business and social pedigree? Time in grade with the party? Prior elected experience? In my last race, I was asked what I felt qualified me to hold a legislative seat. My response was, and still is, that I am a taxpayer, a father, and a resident of my state who has a burning desire to do something to try to better the lives of the people of the state of Washington. Tell me, am I qualified?

Would I sell out my core beliefs to get elected? This one is easy enough. Never put yourself in a position to have to make that choice. And you do that by understanding that the Founding Fathers never intended for political offices to become second careers. I am not looking to make a career as a politician. So therefore I am able to look past the next election, hold to my core beliefs, and vote my conscience.

Watch for me in 2012 ;-)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2004, 05:33:40 AM »

See the second quote in my signature, courage in this matter is great, but not without direction, without holding an elected position, there is no direction of your actions, so your courage could be seen as worthless.

I am not sure whether I would do this or not..... Depends on what the issue is.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2004, 05:50:44 AM »

Hmm... I'd conduct a vicious smear campaign against my oppenent... (ala the "babies" campaign)... hmm... then I'd get a bit of pork-barreling done I suppose... dunno 'bout compromising ethics though... Maybe a wee bit of ballot stuffing?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2004, 06:42:55 AM »

Hello, Everyone. This is my first post on these forums so if something goofs bear with me :-)

A wise soul once said "Every now and then, an innocent man is sent to the Legislature."

Would I run for higher office. I have, and look forward to doing so again.

Do I feel I have what it takes to connect with the voters?
In just six years my district has moved from a swing R to a swing D district. And when I ran two years ago, I got a late start and, with zero name recognition, ran a severely underfunded campaign. Yet when all was said and done I researched the results of my campaign and found that where I was able to reach the voters my message connected. Based on this I believe that had I been better prepared I would have won or, at worst, lost by a very narrow margin.

Why should I be elected over someone who is more qualified? And what, pray tell, "qualifies" one candidate over another? A long business and social pedigree? Time in grade with the party? Prior elected experience? In my last race, I was asked what I felt qualified me to hold a legislative seat. My response was, and still is, that I am a taxpayer, a father, and a resident of my state who has a burning desire to do something to try to better the lives of the people of the state of Washington. Tell me, am I qualified?

Would I sell out my core beliefs to get elected? This one is easy enough. Never put yourself in a position to have to make that choice. And you do that by understanding that the Founding Fathers never intended for political offices to become second careers. I am not looking to make a career as a politician. So therefore I am able to look past the next election, hold to my core beliefs, and vote my conscience.

Watch for me in 2012 ;-)

Welcome to the forum. Smiley

I agree that part-time politicians might well be a good idea. Might rid us of all the baby bureaucrats.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2004, 09:08:34 AM »

Part-time politicians are a wonderful concept, but society has to be prepared to deal with it if it would be truly successful.

First, let me say that part-time political jobs a very possible. Most local and state positions are originally intended to be such. Some are made part-time by operating only during a few months of the year, like many state legislatures. Local offices often expect that policy makers provide only a few hours a week to their political service.

The difficulty is that few jobs easily allow a person to engage in a part-time political office. Legislative calendars were initially designed around farm schedules, but few legislators are farmers today. A legislator in Illinois must essentially give up regular work for January through May, and again one month in November. That doesn't count special sessions and committees that must meet in the summer. Those who do keep a permanent job are usually in partnerships such as law firms.

Now consider local officials, most of whom in Illinois are part-time based on the salary the office pays. A mayor of a city of 25,000 typically gets between $10,000 and $20,000 per year - definitely part-time. Even with a full-time city administrator the mayor has duties that require 20-30 hours a week. That time is spent between daytime functions with staff, businesses, and regional meetings, and evening meetings with city council and community groups. Not many people can invest the time to have two jobs, and many full-time jobs lack the flexibility to allow people to serve in office.

It would be easy to suggest that elected officials spend less time so that they really would be part-time. In terms of essential policy making activities this isn't out of the question. However, the public today has high expectations for their elected officials. Even knowing that they are part-time, the public expects that the elected officials are available to meet their needs at all times. The demand by the public for greater service from their officials is what drives the job of elected official to look more and more like a career.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2004, 03:11:08 PM »

I'd love to be an MP, MPP, PM or Primier. Sadly the NDP will likely never win Federally, Sad so I'll have to stick to being a MP.

Siege
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2004, 01:28:56 PM »

I'd love to be an MP, MPP, PM or Primier. Sadly the NDP will likely never win Federally, Sad so I'll have to stick to being a MP.

Siege

Here's a tip: move to Winnepeg or Halifax Wink
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2004, 01:45:05 PM »

I would like to run for something Congressional, but I don't care to be anything executive, such as Governor or President. I would like to run in a district where I could take controversial stands but the voters would be willing to accept them. I would have to run in a wealthy or poor district, because I scarcely think middle class voters could abide by my stands. I would like some suggestions as to where I could run in terms of Congressional seats.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2004, 02:23:49 PM »

I would like to run for something Congressional, but I don't care to be anything executive, such as Governor or President. I would like to run in a district where I could take controversial stands but the voters would be willing to accept them. I would have to run in a wealthy or poor district, because I scarcely think middle class voters could abide by my stands. I would like some suggestions as to where I could run in terms of Congressional seats.

MA is definitely a good place to start. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2004, 02:52:36 PM »

I agree.  You seem to enjoy telling the rest of us what is right and what is wrong.  The commonwealth of Massachusetts seems tailor-made for the budding moralist.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2004, 02:54:58 PM »

similarly, I'd recommend California for the sure-footed individualist who enjoys a smaller fiscally-conservative government.  (our 30-year experiment in liberalism seems to have run its course.)  For the true traditionalist, might I recommend something in the lower midwest.  Toto, are we back in Kansas yet?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2004, 02:56:05 PM »

heeheehee, I agree, MA, it is PERFECT for you, the MOST perfect state in America for you.

Back onto public speaking, I think I am pretty good at writing speeches too, although this isn't necessary, I am good with rhetoric I think. Then again, that may just be me in my extreme arrogance Smiley.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2004, 04:01:33 PM »

arrogance?!  you'll need that if you want to go into politics.  Smiley

(a moralist would say, no, it doesn't have to be that way, we can make it a better world.  follow me, elect leaders you trust.)

(a traditionalist would say, damn straight!)

I think we can eek out one more victory (in 2004) for the GOP before the uneasy alliance between the traditionalists and the individualists breaks up.  What do y'all think?!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2004, 04:25:10 PM »

(a moralist would say, no, it doesn't have to be that way, we can make it a better world.  follow me, elect leaders you trust.)

I think we can eek out one more victory (in 2004) for the GOP before the uneasy alliance between the traditionalists and the individualists breaks up.  What do y'all think?!

I think that the GOP will be heading for trouble. I know a lot more about Republicans now then I did before I joined the board. It's hard for me to understand that peopel like you, Don, Andrew, etc can share a party with people like Jmfcst, Brambilla, StatesRights and so on. I mean, there are fundamental differences there.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2004, 04:28:52 PM »

I think that the GOP will be heading for trouble. I know a lot more about Republicans now then I did before I joined the board. It's hard for me to understand that peopel like you, Don, Andrew, etc can share a party with people like Jmfcst, Brambilla, StatesRights and so on. I mean, there are fundamental differences there.

Yes, it is very uncomfortable.  I'm constantly considering jumping ship, or not voting.  The sad thing is I also dislike 'moderates' - they always seem to be the worst of both sides, not the best.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2004, 11:13:16 PM »

The fundamental difference is that I choose to be 100% consistent.  I do so by admitting that I don't know more than God.  You, on the other hand, have admitted you have "sense enough" to take positions contrary to the one whom you yourself claim is God.

So, I ask you, who is the extremist:  the one who humbles himself, or the one claiming to know more than God?  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies