Opinion of sunday shopping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 12:48:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of sunday shopping
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Opinion of sunday shopping  (Read 3000 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »

Right wing for.  I would argue that such laws violate the First Amendment.

What about South Carolina's colonial blue laws that banned Christian shops from opening on Sunday but banned Jewish shops from opening on Saturday?  For that matter, what about the law I got passed in the Southeast Region of Atlasia back in the day that encouraged shops to be open only six days a week, but six days of the owner's choice, by imposing a surtax for not doing so. (It was intended to be a surtax just hefty enough that some stores might have decided it was worth being open seven days a week during the Christmas shopping season or other high sales periods.)
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 09:57:57 PM »

Right-wing for. Shops should be able to decide when they open and close. For example, a kosher deli in my city closes on Saturdays, a lot of take-aways and restaurants are closed on Mondays, and of course, in the USA, Chick-fil-A is known for being closed on Sundays.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 10:07:09 PM »

Right wing against. In the abstract I'd prefer all the stores to be closed, though I don't think I'd support actually outlawing them opening. I do make a concerted effort not to shop on Sundays and only do if I need something really badly (which happens ~2 or 3 times a year). I wish more people shared that view; if they did the stores would lose money by being open on Sundays and close.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »

Right wing for.  I would argue that such laws violate the First Amendment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGowan_v._Maryland
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 09:50:48 AM »

I do make a concerted effort not to shop on Sundays and only do if I need something really badly (which happens ~2 or 3 times a year). I wish more people shared that view; if they did the stores would lose money by being open on Sundays and close.

Indeed. Coming from a Reformed background where the Sabbath is taken very seriously and people are disciplined for not keeping it, it was a bit of a culture shock to see so many Evangelicals go out to restaurants after church.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2016, 09:30:54 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Yes, I'm familiar with that case.  But how can you argue that Sunday closing laws aren't made for religious reasons?

BTW: Our prophet predicted that these laws would return under the penalty of death.  I can't help but laugh at some of her silly delusions, which were nothing more than epileptic seizures caused by her head injury.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2016, 09:29:34 AM »

I do make a concerted effort not to shop on Sundays and only do if I need something really badly (which happens ~2 or 3 times a year). I wish more people shared that view; if they did the stores would lose money by being open on Sundays and close.

Indeed. Coming from a Reformed background where the Sabbath is taken very seriously and people are disciplined for not keeping it, it was a bit of a culture shock to see so many Evangelicals go out to restaurants after church.

Tsk, tsk.  No person should be buying or selling on the Sabbath, regardless of which day it is.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 11:51:29 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length