TRUMP preparing YUGE campaign ad blitz!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 06:19:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  TRUMP preparing YUGE campaign ad blitz!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: TRUMP preparing YUGE campaign ad blitz!  (Read 3671 times)
mds32
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2015, 03:41:10 PM »

Well dipping into his own pocket to buy actual TV spots was the last step to proving he is really 'in it'. Although waiting this long also shows a level of amateurishness. As of now the other campaigns and Super PACs have already reserved $10s of millions in ad space in the early states for January, February and even March. The Trump campaign has yet to reserve any, so once they finally pull the trigger they are going to get a lot less bang for their bucks.   In some places like NH, there may also be a limit to being able to buy any at all, or if they do, it will have to be on Boston stations where most of the viewers arent even voters, making it even less efficient.

I'll believe that Trump is spending significant amounts of his own money when he actually does so, and not one moment sooner. So far, all I'm seeing is yet more "real soon" blather.

And as you point out, the effectiveness per dollar of any spending at this late date will be low. (Which could easily morph into a great excuse for not doing it at all.)

Fine by me. If Trump thinks he can win this off of name recognition alone he has another thing coming to him. Cruz's voters are energized in Iowa and the undecided voters in NH dislike Trump a lot so if an establishment candidate really breaks out there after the next debate he might be in trouble.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 03:44:13 PM »

Well dipping into his own pocket to buy actual TV spots was the last step to proving he is really 'in it'. Although waiting this long also shows a level of amateurishness. As of now the other campaigns and Super PACs have already reserved $10s of millions in ad space in the early states for January, February and even March. The Trump campaign has yet to reserve any, so once they finally pull the trigger they are going to get a lot less bang for their bucks.   In some places like NH, there may also be a limit to being able to buy any at all, or if they do, it will have to be on Boston stations where most of the viewers arent even voters, making it even less efficient.

I'll believe that Trump is spending significant amounts of his own money when he actually does so, and not one moment sooner. So far, all I'm seeing is yet more "real soon" blather.

And as you point out, the effectiveness per dollar of any spending at this late date will be low. (Which could easily morph into a great excuse for not doing it at all.)

Fine by me. If Trump thinks he can win this off of name recognition alone he has another thing coming to him. Cruz's voters are energized in Iowa and the undecided voters in NH dislike Trump a lot so if an establishment candidate really breaks out there after the next debate he might be in trouble.
Can't wait for the whining and moaning from trumpsexuals when their God is trampled in Iowa and nh
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 03:57:37 PM »

1.Cruz is the flavor of the month like Carson. His numbers will have plummeted in IA by this time next month, if anyone ends up beating Trump in IA it will be a Santorum 2012 razor thin margin.

2.Trump wins 2 way match ups in NH polls, so it's untrue that the undecided voters in NH dislike him.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 04:08:35 PM »

1.Cruz is the flavor of the month like Carson. His numbers will have plummeted in IA by this time next month, if anyone ends up beating Trump in IA it will be a Santorum 2012 razor thin margin.

2.Trump wins 2 way match ups in NH polls, so it's untrue that the undecided voters in NH dislike him.
Lol compare the people working cruzs ground game with trumps and get back to me
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »

Lol compare the people working cruzs ground game with trumps and get back to me

Ground game won't matter if the enthusiasm wears off. Also, even with an IA victory, Cruz will not overtake Trump in SC, especially after Trump gets his NH bump.
defe07

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »

I seriously think rubio stands a chance to win sc... The state is very pro-war
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2015, 05:15:33 AM »

Why would a decent number of people answer yes to the question "Are you planning to vote in the Republican primary", if they aren't 100% committed? Wouldn't they just say "not sure"?

Ftr, many pollsters create "likely voter" models that are more complicated than just "are you planning to vote in the primary?" since people lie all the time about things they think they *should* do (like voting) but are too lazy/busy/whatever to do.  That doesn't mean the likely voter screens are going to be right though.  Maybe they will, maybe they won't.  I think in low turnout primaries/caucuses, the likely voter screens tend to be too expansive, and the pollsters just skate by on the fact that unlikely voters aren't necessarily too terribly different from likely voters.  Maybe this time will be different though.  Making polls that are sufficiently restrictive in terms of "likely voters" is kind of expensive, because you have to hit a lot of people in order to get a decent sized sample.

\And then there are the cell phone folks, who are not polled at all, and that needs to be accounted for.

Huh?  You do realize that all the live interview telephone pollsters do in fact call cell phones, right?  It's just the robo-pollsters who don't call them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 07:09:06 AM »

OK Morden. My error. I guess the discussion of that pertained only to robo polls.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2015, 08:30:30 AM »

Why would a decent number of people answer yes to the question "Are you planning to vote in the Republican primary", if they aren't 100% committed? Wouldn't they just say "not sure"?

Ftr, many pollsters create "likely voter" models that are more complicated than just "are you planning to vote in the primary?" since people lie all the time about things they think they *should* do (like voting) but are too lazy/busy/whatever to do.  That doesn't mean the likely voter screens are going to be right though.  Maybe they will, maybe they won't.  I think in low turnout primaries/caucuses, the likely voter screens tend to be too expansive, and the pollsters just skate by on the fact that unlikely voters aren't necessarily too terribly different from likely voters.  Maybe this time will be different though.  Making polls that are sufficiently restrictive in terms of "likely voters" is kind of expensive, because you have to hit a lot of people in order to get a decent sized sample.

\And then there are the cell phone folks, who are not polled at all, and that needs to be accounted for.

Huh?  You do realize that all the live interview telephone pollsters do in fact call cell phones, right?  It's just the robo-pollsters who don't call them.

I've often wondered what the difference is in response rates from cell-phone owners vs. landline owners, how it skews results, and how (or even if) the pollsters account for that.

From my small set of friends and family anecdata, no one will take any sort of polling call on their cell. (Possibly a hold over habit  from the days of limited minutes.) Of course, now that I think about it, I don't know that anyone in my circle of acquaintances has taken a phone poll in years. There's less time as friends and family age out of school and into work and kids, and even landlines (for those who have them) are seldom answered unless caller ID says its a call they want to take, because of phone-spammers.

My guess is that phone-based polling is getting less  accurate overall, especially in urban areas. It'll be interesting to see this year.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »

*bump*

The ad blitz becomes less yuge:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-falls-short-2m-weekly-ad-spending-goal-latest-buy-n496021

You must be logged in to read this quote.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 09:00:36 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2016, 09:12:24 PM by cinyc »

Trump appears to have upped his ad spending later last week.  The early ad buys were puny in comparison.  He might have spent millions late last week into this week again, like during the first week of his ad blitz.

Trump is beginning to reserve time for the last two weeks of the campaign.  He's reserved $148,600 in ads on Des Moines CBS affiliate KCCI alone from January 22 to February 1.  Trump is buying some non pre-emptible fixed commercials on their 6PM news at $7,000 a pop, a non pre-emptible fixed ad during the Early Show the day before the caucuses for $5,000, and a non pre-emptible fixed ad during 60 Minutes on the Sunday before the election for a whopping $15,000.  Trump has ordered 57 ads on KCCI during that period so far, mainly during newscasts.  Last week, Trump added the non-news buys later in the week, so that might happen again.  The costs are astronomical compared to the first weeks of his ad campaign.  That's in part because Trump is paying more to make sure his ads actually air.  

It's good to be the owner of an Iowa TV station this time of year every 4 years.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies