Philly map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:09:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Philly map
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Philly map  (Read 5466 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2005, 04:12:07 PM »

Now Phil, read the note.  Some neighborhoods unto themselves are quite diificult.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 04:17:01 PM »

What does the light green stand for? I'm guessing moderate-conservative.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 04:18:19 PM »

Parks.  Had trouble coloring them.  I used a copied map.  I used official neighborhood boundaries, but any Philadelphian can argue them to death.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 04:18:35 PM »

I'm guessing parkland
danwxman

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 04:20:36 PM »

I'm guessing parkland

That came off as very obvious to me. Come on Phil, you don't know your own city?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 04:21:14 PM »

So wait...there's no moderate-conservative? That's stupid. Yeah, you're not biased.

Anyway, my neighborhood is light red in this case. That's definetley not the case. I'd say it's moderate-conservative (just like most of Torresdale).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 04:21:56 PM »

I'm guessing parkland

That came off as very obvious to me. Come on Phil, you don't know your own city?

Usually the parks would just be considered part of the neighborhood, dan.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 04:23:42 PM »

I'm guessing parkland
Not to call you out Phil, but lived in this city how long?  I mean do you think that swab of West Philly were Will Smith was inspired to write "Summertime" is moderate-conservative?  

The only point blank conservaitve areas I sketched in were Fox Chase, but the map area pushed into more left-leaning Rhawnhurst so it's not entirely accurate, Lexington Park, but I also wanted to include Winchester Park and a sliver of Mayfair.  Again map said no.  I also included the area around the Sports Complexes in South Philly and I gave the Italian area west of Broad populist-conservative.
danwxman

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 04:24:24 PM »

I'm guessing parkland

Usually the parks would just be considered part of the neighborhood, dan.

Unless you know the ideology of the ducks, deer and hobos in the parks....then not for this map.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 04:24:51 PM »

So wait...there's no moderate-conservative? That's stupid. Yeah, you're not biased.

Anyway, my neighborhood is light red in this case. That's definetley not the case. I'd say it's moderate-conservative (just like most of Torresdale).

IIRC, didn't your precinct vote Kerry and Schwartz?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 04:26:59 PM »

Ah, excepting perhaps northwest Germantown, it looks like a map of Black neighborhoods. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 04:28:03 PM »

Like most of Pennsylvania, it's partisan on the national level yet usually Republican on the local level. Schwartz did win yet she also won in areas of Mayfair that would not be considered liberal.

My precinct also happens to be one of the biggest Republican precincts in the Northeast (largest in the 65th).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 04:29:51 PM »

Unless you know the ideology of the ducks, deer and hobos in the parks....then not for this map.

The park would just be thrown in with the rest of the neighborhood, genius. Just color it like the rest of the area.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005, 05:07:48 PM »

Like most of Pennsylvania, it's partisan on the national level yet usually Republican on the local level. Schwartz did win yet she also won in areas of Mayfair that would not be considered liberal.

My precinct also happens to be one of the biggest Republican precincts in the Northeast (largest in the 65th).

Mayfair is a lot more Republican than Torresdale, I can assure you.  Yours is a large Republican precinct?  Even if that were the case, I made this a general map.  I know there are conservative areas I painted red and vice versa.  I stand by this map.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2005, 05:09:27 PM »

Ah, excepting perhaps northwest Germantown, it looks like a map of Black neighborhoods. 

Would you agree with me on thsi map at least?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2005, 05:11:25 PM »

Mayfair is a lot more Republican than Torresdale, I can assure you.  Yours is a large Republican precinct?  Even if that were the case, I made this a general map.  I know there are conservative areas I painted red and vice versa.  I stand by this map.

How can you assure me of that? Both are socially conservative and when it comes down the economics, Torresdale is by far more conservative.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2005, 05:16:17 PM »

I may be looking at the numbers wrong, but I thought Mayfair was.  I'm not really sure about the politics of Torresdale, but I have seen data from there.  Most of the area I painted light red was a broad area, but overall moderate liberal.  I'm sorry it included your nieghborhood.  Kerry and Schwartz won some areas around there even greater than my block.  I must say I have a VERY mixed area when it comes to politics.  Taubenberger was very strong here in last year's primary, yet I did see a ton of Schwartz and Kerry signs.   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 05:19:07 PM »

I may be looking at the numbers wrong, but I thought Mayfair was.  I'm not really sure about the politics of Torresdale, but I have seen data from there.  Most of the area I painted light red was a broad area, but overall moderate liberal.  I'm sorry it included your nieghborhood. 

Mayfair might be a tad more socially conservative yet economics would be center-left.

When it comes to economics here, I'd say that we are definetley more conservative than Mayfair. Socially, we're almost the same.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2005, 05:22:03 PM »

I may be looking at the numbers wrong, but I thought Mayfair was.  I'm not really sure about the politics of Torresdale, but I have seen data from there.  Most of the area I painted light red was a broad area, but overall moderate liberal.  I'm sorry it included your nieghborhood. 

Mayfair might be a tad more socially conservative yet economics would be center-left.

When it comes to economics here, I'd say that we are definetley more conservative than Mayfair. Socially, we're almost the same.

You're probably right.  Mayfair you hit on the nose: left-center economically, right-center socially.  I would think Torresdale is more economcially conservative due to Eden Hall and Crestmont Farms.  Because of the lawyer element though, I'd say it's a bit more socially left though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2005, 05:23:58 PM »

You're probably right.  Mayfair you hit on the nose: left-center economically, right-center socially.  I would think Torresdale is more economcially conservative due to Eden Hall and Crestmont Farms.  Because of the lawyer element though, I'd say it's a bit more socially left though.

The Crestmont Farms area lawyers are probably not socially liberal.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2005, 05:29:44 PM »

The Crestmont Farms area lawyers are probably not socially liberal.

The majority in this city are.  Whether or not they're trial advocacy or corporate makes a huge difference.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2005, 09:13:26 AM »

What are those populist areas downtown?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2005, 12:10:35 PM »

Actually that's not downtown.  Close, but not really.  They're Port Richmond and Bridesburg which are ethnic, white working class Catholic neighborhoods.  Social conservatism is the rule here, but they are fairly economically liberal neighborhoods with a strong union prescence.  IIRC, Kerry and Gore won this area pretty easily between 60-65%, but they are represented by a popular and populist (no pun intended) Republican State Rep. John Taylor who is usually unopposed. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2005, 12:13:29 PM »

(leap of logic here, sorry) So basically JJ is right and dark red means black-majority on your map?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005, 12:16:47 PM »

(leap of logic here, sorry) So basically JJ is right and dark red means black-majority on your map?

Other than say parts of NW Philly, Center City, and a few parts of NE Philly, I'd say so.  I should have color coded an area called Populist leaning African Americans for they are more socially conservative than the white liberals, yet more economically liberal.  Basically the white liberals are about a -3 to -5 economically and -7 to -9 socially whereas with the African Americans and Latinos, it's the flip opposite.  By and large, blacks where I live are quite religious and don't like gays.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies