What can the GOP do to win 33% of the black vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:39:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What can the GOP do to win 33% of the black vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What can the GOP do to win 33% of the black vote?  (Read 1725 times)
Zache

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:51:16 PM »

One-third of the black vote. Around the same share Nixon got versus Kennedy, how could modern Republicans achieve this result in 2016 or presidential elections further down the line?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:20:46 PM »

There's pretty much nothing they can do.  The crushing poverty of African American communities helps make this a solid Democratic voting bloc, but the ties between African Americans and the Democratic Party extend beyond policy or economic indicators.  Conservative African Americans vote for the Democrats.  Hell, even wealthy African Americans consistently vote for the Democrats at extremely high rates.

Ultimately, I think social segregation is what keeps this such a solidly Democratic voting bloc.  People are unlikely to vote for a political party that none of their family, friends, or neighbors vote vote for, even if some or most of their views align with that party.  Most African Americans live in African American neighborhoods and have very few non-African American friends.  They are also the second least likely group to marry outside of their race (after whites).  They have their own culture, their own dialect, their own churches, mosques, and social institutions.  Really, they live a world apart from White America and that's what makes it so difficult for the Republicans to make any inroads whatsoever with this voting bloc.  When you hear Republicans (and many white Democrats, to be fair) talk about African Americans or African American issues, it's obvious to these voters that the politicians have no idea what they're talking about, and why should they?

And I don't think it's plausible for America to end the social segregation of African Americans anytime soon, but that's really an entirely different discussion.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 03:19:27 AM »

There's pretty much nothing they can do.  The crushing poverty of African American communities helps make this a solid Democratic voting bloc, but the ties between African Americans and the Democratic Party extend beyond policy or economic indicators.  Conservative African Americans vote for the Democrats.  Hell, even wealthy African Americans consistently vote for the Democrats at extremely high rates.

Ultimately, I think social segregation is what keeps this such a solidly Democratic voting bloc.  People are unlikely to vote for a political party that none of their family, friends, or neighbors vote vote for, even if some or most of their views align with that party.  Most African Americans live in African American neighborhoods and have very few non-African American friends.  They are also the second least likely group to marry outside of their race (after whites).  They have their own culture, their own dialect, their own churches, mosques, and social institutions.  Really, they live a world apart from White America and that's what makes it so difficult for the Republicans to make any inroads whatsoever with this voting bloc.  When you hear Republicans (and many white Democrats, to be fair) talk about African Americans or African American issues, it's obvious to these voters that the politicians have no idea what they're talking about, and why should they?

And I don't think it's plausible for America to end the social segregation of African Americans anytime soon, but that's really an entirely different discussion.

That's one of the most ridiculous and racist statements Ive seen on this forum.   Did you really just write that about they way YOU think Black people are?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 10:01:10 AM »

That's one of the most ridiculous and racist statements Ive seen on this forum.   Did you really just write that about they way YOU think Black people are?

"This ethnic group is real"

"THAT ETHNIC GROUP IS REAL???!!! HOW RACIST!" -- some southern guy who supports the constitution party

I mean everything I said is applicable to you white folks too.  You tend to have very few non-white friends, rarely marry outside of your race, have your own culture, your own dialects, your own churches, mosques, and social institutions and largely live a world apart from Black and Brown America.  It's less true about Asians and Hispanics because we're much less numerous, but it still holds true to some extent...

But this thread is about black voters so I didn't feel it relevant to mention.  But social segregation is real.  Admitting race exists isn't racist, and pretending otherwise is ignorant.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 10:26:34 AM »

"THAT ETHNIC GROUP IS REAL???!!! HOW RACIST!" -- some southern guy who supports the constitution party

I mean everything I said is applicable to you white folks too.  You tend to have very few non-white friends, rarely marry outside of your race, have your own culture, your own dialects, your own churches, mosques, and social institutions and largely live a world apart from Black and Brown America.  It's less true about Asians and Hispanics because we're much less numerous, but it still holds true to some extent...

But this thread is about black voters so I didn't feel it relevant to mention.  But social segregation is real.  Admitting race exists isn't racist, and pretending otherwise is ignorant.

I agree with you. I guess that makes me racist, too.

Calling everything racist devalues the word to the point that eventually it will mean nothing.

Anyway, I read an article written by a Republican Jew that was insightful. He said that for as long as he could remember, being a Jew culturally meant you were a Democrat. Voting Democrat was just what Jews did. I imagine that the longer black people vote 85+% Democrat, the more this is true of blacks as well.

This is meant only to illustrate the difficulty of reaching blacks from the Republicans' standpoint and not to be racist.

Yes, I agree that whites (and every other race besides Asian) live in a bubble. My town is probably 90-95% white and Asian seeing as it's a wealthy suburb (even as an actuary it's not cheap for me to live here), the place I work is easily 90% white, and so is my church. And I didn't choose any of that. I picked the suburb because it has low population density, good schools, and somewhat-reasonably-priced rentals. I picked the job because it pays well and is in my field. I picked the church because it's in my denomination.

And so, it's not surprising that literally all of my friends are white. Yet when I lived near Chicago I had minority friends and lived with a black guy for 2 years in college.

Culturally, Blacks and conservative whites have a few things in common: love of sports, some of the foods we eat, and religion. Indeed, the least discriminatory workplace in America may well be professional sports. Republicans would do well to play up these cultural ties for starters, though it still probably won't make a huge difference.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »

As long ss the GOP keep trouting out Bushies, including Jeb, Blacks will never vote GOP. Another Bushie is on ballot, Jeb.  Maybe, long after Dubya, is long forgotten, the GOP has some hope. But, not much.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 06:38:48 PM »

Time travel and preventing both Goldwater's 1964 nomination and LBJ signing the Civil Rights Act would be a good start.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »

Tell the Lincoln freed the slaves and democrats were racist
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2015, 08:20:12 PM by hopper »

Time travel and preventing both Goldwater's 1964 nomination and LBJ signing the Civil Rights Act would be a good start.
Yeah the Goldwater Nomination did kill them with the Black Vote but than again so did Reaganomics.

Basically the best way to make inroads with the Black Vote is to start chipping away at the Dems Advantage with the Black Vote. You don't have to win the Black Vote with one big swoop. Another is don't start talking about policies from the 1980's. Those policies have seen their day and aren't coming back anytime in the near future. Even Northeast Moderate Whites don't want to see policies from the 1980's again because their expiration date was 1992.
hopper
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 08:00:01 PM »

As long ss the GOP keep trouting out Bushies, including Jeb, Blacks will never vote GOP. Another Bushie is on ballot, Jeb.  Maybe, long after Dubya, is long forgotten, the GOP has some hope. But, not much.
I don't know where you are going with this post. Jeb is doing horrible in a Republican Primary Electorate that is 95% White-Non Hispanic.
hopper
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 08:13:12 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2015, 08:21:37 PM by hopper »

There's pretty much nothing they can do.  The crushing poverty of African American communities helps make this a solid Democratic voting bloc, but the ties between African Americans and the Democratic Party extend beyond policy or economic indicators.  Conservative African Americans vote for the Democrats.  Hell, even wealthy African Americans consistently vote for the Democrats at extremely high rates.

Ultimately, I think social segregation is what keeps this such a solidly Democratic voting bloc.  People are unlikely to vote for a political party that none of their family, friends, or neighbors vote vote for, even if some or most of their views align with that party.  Most African Americans live in African American neighborhoods and have very few non-African American friends.  They are also the second least likely group to marry outside of their race (after whites).  They have their own culture, their own dialect, their own churches, mosques, and social institutions.  Really, they live a world apart from White America and that's what makes it so difficult for the Republicans to make any inroads whatsoever with this voting bloc.  When you hear Republicans (and many white Democrats, to be fair) talk about African Americans or African American issues, it's obvious to these voters that the politicians have no idea what they're talking about, and why should they?

Yes Blacks don't vote based on income but neither do Whites and Asians. The Hispanic Vote is income based though. The White Vote is based wether they are evangelical or not. White Evangelicals vote at 70-80% Republican while non-evangelical whites vote at 45-50% Republican. I based this on stats I saw regarding the 2012 Presidential Election.

Yes the Black Vote has to do with population density so they vote like they live in big populated cities like Chicago and Detroit in a Presidential Election.

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 10:04:49 PM »

Here's some things that might help:

-more integrated neighborhoods
-more integrated churches
-the Democrats do something to offend large numbers of black voters
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 01:57:09 AM »

The statements you made about what blacks are like were racist stereotypes that seemed like you got from watching some hollywood flick. 

"They have their own culture, their own dialect, their own churches, mosques, and social institutions"     I've lived multiple  what you would call "black neighborhoods" and we are actually one of the more diverse.    What you actually describe would be more aliken to Asian/latino communites.   

Yes, their are of course the "ghettos" but isn't that a product of LBJ and the dems great society? The city of Baltimore is a great example of this.    So in reality its the democratic chains that have pretty much kept blacks a 90% voting block.   The republicans don't help their case either when they tout out old stale white men as the party standard.     If Carson was a electable candidate with a decent resume I could see him taking 15-20% of the vote.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 04:03:10 AM »

Nominate Donald J. Trump.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »

Explain the true history of the two parties on race and civil rights issues--this alone will net a significant number of black votes for the GOP.  Engage black churches with social conservatism, and explain why dependence on welfare programs is not the best way to lift blacks out of poverty.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 10:14:47 AM »

Explain the true history of the two parties on race and civil rights issues--this alone will net a significant number of black votes for the GOP.  Engage black churches with social conservatism, and explain why dependence on welfare programs is not the best way to lift blacks out of poverty.

Easier said than done.  The right candidate is needed.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 12:18:07 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2015, 12:20:19 PM by kcguy »

Yes, their are of course the "ghettos" but isn't that a product of LBJ and the dems great society?

I was always of the opinion that the ghettos were the products of racial covenants.

In the course of my job, I actually once stumbled across a subdivision plat from the 1920s that prohibited any resident from selling their property to a "descendant of the African, Syrian, or Asiatic races" for the first 25 years.  (I don't remember the exact language, but it was something like that.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbusting

It would be interesting to hear you explain how people continuing to live in the neighborhoods where they were grew up was somehow the product of the Great Society.
hopper
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 10:10:09 PM »

The statements you made about what blacks are like were racist stereotypes that seemed like you got from watching some hollywood flick. 

"They have their own culture, their own dialect, their own churches, mosques, and social institutions"     I've lived multiple  what you would call "black neighborhoods" and we are actually one of the more diverse.    What you actually describe would be more aliken to Asian/latino communites.   

Yes, their are of course the "ghettos" but isn't that a product of LBJ and the dems great society? The city of Baltimore is a great example of this.    So in reality its the democratic chains that have pretty much kept blacks a 90% voting block.   The republicans don't help their case either when they tout out old stale white men as the party standard.     If Carson was a electable candidate with a decent resume I could see him taking 15-20% of the vote.
Stale Old White Men? The Dems nominated Al Gore in 2000 who was about the same age as George W. Bush. The Dems also nominated John Kerry who was a few years older than Bush W. in 2004. I will give you that Bill Clinton was around 20 years younger than Bush H.W. in 1992 and Obama was 24 years younger than John McCain in 2008.

Its not about nominating candidates by race or age though its about nominating candidates that can put policies that work in place for the good of the country.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 10:21:01 PM »

There's no reason affluent Blacks shouldn't be voting at least a little more Republican; that they don't shows the significant image problem the current GOP is suffering from.  We need to make it abundantly clear that our party condemns racism and publicly condemn loud and clear any bonehead comments our elected officials make.  We of course "condemn racism," but we're more than content getting the votes for racists, and we shouldn't be.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 12:23:09 AM »

Yes, their are of course the "ghettos" but isn't that a product of LBJ and the dems great society?

I was always of the opinion that the ghettos were the products of racial covenants.

In the course of my job, I actually once stumbled across a subdivision plat from the 1920s that prohibited any resident from selling their property to a "descendant of the African, Syrian, or Asiatic races" for the first 25 years.  (I don't remember the exact language, but it was something like that.)

It would be interesting to hear you explain how people continuing to live in the neighborhoods where they were grew up was somehow the product of the Great Society.

Those programs erroded the family structure in black communites even further than what pre-civil rights / slaverly had did.  If there was ever a time for blacks to recover it was then.   The liberal programs and the ideal of "stay put, we will give you an handout" created incentive for fathers to leave the homes.   These type of things dont just washout in a few decades.   

Blacks to the white liberal democrats are bascially farm votes.  Both partys are now trying to do the same with latinos.

YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »

Those programs erroded the family structure in black communites even further than what pre-civil rights / slaverly had did.  If there was ever a time for blacks to recover it was then.   The liberal programs and the ideal of "stay put, we will give you an handout" created incentive for fathers to leave the homes.   These type of things dont just washout in a few decades.  

Blacks to the white liberal democrats are bascially farm votes.  Both partys are now trying to do the same with latinos.

Holy sh**t what is wrong with you
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 10:58:13 PM »

ben carson might be able to get the black vote to 10-20 which would crush democrats in a national election...or cause them to decide not to vote since they can't decide. If the black vote declines to 82% or 83% democrat and nothing else changes since the 2012 election (which it will) then democrats lose florida and ohio and lose all hope of north carolina (which they have little hope of in 2016 anyway) it it move 1 more point in either turnout or vote then they lose virginia too. Also this is not considering an increase in vote among white toward republicans or asians, which is likely to happen. Asians will likely move closer to the center and white farther right. I'm optimistic about 2016
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 07:45:38 AM »

ITT: a bunch of privileged white people talk about how they think blacks should vote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies