Senate Residency Requirement Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:25:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Residency Requirement Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Senate Residency Requirement Amendment  (Read 6085 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2005, 08:31:48 PM »
« edited: May 23, 2005, 03:11:01 AM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

I just realized that the expiration of the seven-day requirement on the repeal of the Family Planning Amendments of 2004 leaves us with an open slot.

As introduced by Sen. Supersoulty:

Senate Residency Requirement Bill Amendment

Section 1

The Senate shall require that all persons wishing to run for either a Class A or Class B Senate seat must have been a legal resident of that region or district for at least 2 months prior to the election or appointment by the governor of that region.

I hereby open debate on this legislation.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 08:42:04 PM »

As a matter of point, this bill may be redundant due to a fact that has come to light since this bill's original proposition.

I informed Supersoulty that the Constitution did not place residency-time requirements on candidacy, but it does, to the tune of 10 days.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 08:43:44 PM »

As a matter of point, this bill may be redundant due to a fact that has come to light since this bill's original proposition.

I informed Supersoulty that the Constitution did not place residency-time requirements on candidacy, but it does, to the tune of 10 days.

When Supersoulty sees this, tell me if you want this changed to a Constitutional Amendment or if you just want to scrap it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 08:46:09 PM »

Costitutional Ammendment then.  I think that the fact that we have residency requirements for voting, but not acctually running for the Senate from that area is a mockery of our system.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 08:48:24 PM »

Costitutional Ammendment then.  I think that the fact that we have residency requirements for voting, but not acctually running for the Senate from that area is a mockery of our system.

I just stated that it does (in Article V), I just forgot when I was discussing with you.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 08:51:27 PM »

I just stated that it does (in Article V), I just forgot when I was discussing with you.

Heh, my bad.  I saw that... I just didn't say what I was trying to say properly.  I think that the requirement to run for office should be equal or greater than that of being able to vote.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 08:55:21 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2005, 08:59:51 PM by Senator "Pedro" King »

I am personally against this as it discourages new membership (MasterJedi, Milk_and_Cereal, True Democrat, Yaks Hairbrush, Miss Catholic, and BenMeyers would all have to drop out). Also, what about redistricting and regional changes?  These people have to wait 2 months to seek election in their new district or region.

This is a poorly written amendment
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 09:00:02 PM »

Honestly, I don't see any need for this now that Peter's pointed out the 10 day law applies to both offices.

I sincerely believe that the citizens of Atlasia are honest enough to not vote for a candidate who's moving into their District/Region just to run for office.

Same way with the whole running for two offices at the same time; this should be understood, not written into law.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 09:00:49 PM »

I am personally against this as it discourages new membership (MasterJedi, Milk_and_Cereal, True Democrat, Yaks Hairbrush, Miss Catholic, and BenMeyers would all have to drop out). Also, what about redistricting and regional changes?  These people have to wait 2 months to seek election in their new district or region.

This is a poorly written amendment

This is a good point as well.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 09:03:33 PM »

I agree that it is poorly written, but I think there is something we can still work with here.  What about a requirement that states that no one shall move from one district/region to another and run for the Senate, for two months.  Thus, all the newbies are covered.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 09:04:47 PM »

I agree that it is poorly written, but I think there is something we can still work with here.  What about a requirement that states that no one shall move from one district/region to another and run for the Senate, for two months.  Thus, all the newbies are covered.

Still, my point is open to interpretation with that change.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 09:13:11 PM »

Still, my point is open to interpretation with that change.

district changes will be covered as well.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 09:20:01 PM »

How about this:

Section 1 is hereby stricken and replaced with the following:

Section 1

The Senate shall require that all non-newly registered persons who register to vote in a region or district, and who wish to run for either a Class A or a Class B Senate seat, must wait until they have resided in their new region or district for at least 2 months prior either to the election or to an appointment by the governor of that region.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 09:29:01 PM »

How about this:

Section 1

The Senate shall require that all non-newly registered persons who register to vote in a region or district, and who wish to run for either a Class A or a Class B Senate seat, must wait until they have resided in their new region or district for at least 2 months prior either to the election or to an appointment by the governor of that region.

I'll agree to that, but we must make sure that redistricting is accounted for, as King suggested.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 09:30:27 PM »

How about this:

Section 1

I'll agree to that.

Okay, I officially introduce that amendment and open voting on it.

All senators in favor, vote "aye"; all against, vote "nay".

---

Aye.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 09:31:02 PM »

I'll support this. Primarily because I hate avatar changing of states. What I really hate is when carpetbagging happens because an incumbent is seen as "weak" or an open seat has "weak" candidates.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 09:31:26 PM »

Section 1

The Senate shall require that all non-newly registered persons who re-register to vote in a different region or district, and who wish to run for either a Class A or a Class B Senate seat, must wait until they have resided in their new region or district for at least 2 months prior either to the election or to an appointment by the governor of that region.

How about that?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 09:31:59 PM »

How about this:

Section 1

I'll agree to that.

---

Aye.

Ummm... I changed it a bit.  Wink
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 09:38:15 PM »

---

Aye.

I've been strong worded against this sort of action before: 24 hours.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 10:01:07 PM »

Okay, okay, we'll halt closing for now. Tongue  I'm too used to opening voting immediately...

Anyways...

Section 1

The Senate shall require that all non-newly registered persons who re-register to vote in a different region or district, and who wish to run for either a Class A or a Class B Senate seat, must wait until they have resided in their new region or district for at least 2 months prior either to the election or to an appointment by the governor of that region.

How about that?

How about we remove the "re-" before "register" and add "than the one in which they currently reside" at the end?  The current wording of that bolded part is a little awkward, at least to me.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 10:10:10 PM »

---

Aye.

I've been strong worded against this sort of action before: 24 hours.
We'll get to the procedural resolution eventually.  Smiley

As for the bill, I support the changes, but will oppose the bill as I oppose restricting the rights of citizens to run for whatever office they may choose to. 

Let public opinion be the judge in these matters, imo.   (it is well-known my opposition to term-limits on this same rationale)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 10:12:33 PM »

Okay, okay, we'll halt closing for now. Tongue  I'm too used to opening voting immediately...

Anyways...

Section 1

How about that?

How about we remove the "re-" before "register" and add "than the one in which they currently reside" at the end?  The current wording of that bolded part is a little awkward, at least to me.

Okay
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 10:14:36 PM »

Okay, so we currently have...

Section 1

The Senate shall require that all non-newly registered persons who register to vote in a different region or district than the one they currently reside in, and who wish to run for either a Class A or a Class B Senate seat, must wait until they have resided in their new region or district for at least 2 months prior either to the election or to an appointment by the governor of that region.

Anyone wanna make any comments?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 11:03:05 PM »

Judging from previous experience with the Supreme Court, we must write this clause to have such a tight intepretation that the best attorney in the country couldn't find his way around it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 11:03:49 PM »

Judging from previous experience with the Supreme Court, we must write this clause to have such a tight intepretation that the best attorney in the country couldn't find his way around it.

Can you think of any way to get around it as it currently stands?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies