SHP to PNG or JPEG
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:51:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  SHP to PNG or JPEG
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SHP to PNG or JPEG  (Read 2901 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »

I know I've asked this before, but does anyone know of some software that can be used to convert SHP to PNG or JPEG?  Free software would be preferable.
Angel of Death
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »

Try using SVG as an intermediate format.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »

I know I've asked this before, but does anyone know of some software that can be used to convert SHP to PNG or JPEG?  Free software would be preferable.

This used ARCGIS online to create the map from the SHP file.

I then did a Print Screen and pasted into Paint, and exported as a .png file.

I ordinarily use Global Mapper (free for limited capability). I use it to make outline maps which I then screen capture, and then use with Paint. This gives me projection and scaling capability, which is sufficient for my needs. There are likely better alternatives to Global Mapper, but I'm familiar with it.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2015, 05:24:57 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

I know I've asked this before, but does anyone know of some software that can be used to convert SHP to PNG or JPEG?  Free software would be preferable.

I ordinarily use Global Mapper (free for limited capability). I use it to make outline maps which I then screen capture, and then use with Paint. This gives me projection and scaling capability, which is sufficient for my needs. There are likely better alternatives to Global Mapper, but I'm familiar with it.
How did work the data with the shapefile to get the map?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »

I know I've asked this before, but does anyone know of some software that can be used to convert SHP to PNG or JPEG?  Free software would be preferable.

The shapefile that I used was from my submission for the Florida senate. I used the district builder on the House side, and they produced a bunch of reports including the shapefile. The shapefile happened to include a lot of demographic information. It was pretty simple in ARCGIS to display it.

I just downloaded a shapefile from the Census Bureau and it really didn't have any attributes, unless you count the land area as an attribute. So all I was able to do with it was produce an outline map, and an outline map over a background (built in to ARCGIS). They have road maps, satellite imagery, etc. so it might be useful depending on what you want to do.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »

I was able to manage to do this:

Iowa Election Results

I put the election data in a .csv file. I haven't figured out how to associate the shapefile with the election data. The red circles are actually points positioned by lat/long included in the .csv file.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »

This was done using QGIS. I started with a shapefile from the Census Bureau, and joined it to the election data from a spreadsheet (.csv) file. The attribute, 2012 Obama share of the two-way vote was calculated by QDIS. I haven't figured out how to use an absolute scale, so that the colors could be used for different maps. Instead it is stretched to match the range of data (though it is close, since the Obama share ranges from 15% to 70%).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »

Yeah, I seem to recall giving a pretty complex answer to this before in terms of how you could take an off-white shapefile image and convert it to an image, but the simple answer was what jim said in his first post:

• Load the shapefile data up (I'm assuming you know how to do this?)
  • Maximize opacity if needed/relevant/applicable
  • Hit the print screen button
  • Paste it into MSPaint or applicable program, and save it

As far as removing off-white backgrounds in the map region itself is concerned, you can take it into Photoshop/GIMP, isolate regions by color and delete them to get rid of pesky pixels and uneven color variations within the borders. If you want the borders to be one color, you can also (once finished - but keep a copy in case you mess up) take it back into MSPaint and convert the canvas to black and white, but keep in mind that anything that is not perfectly white will be converted to black, so clean the image up prior to that accordingly.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 10:33:33 PM »

I can't find a free SHP to SVG converter.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 10:35:30 PM »

just screenshot it and save it as a png/jpeg

high-quality screenshot @ prntscr.com (Lightshot)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 05:11:58 AM »

I can't find a free SHP to SVG converter.
QDIS can produce raster files directly.

There is a plug-in available with to produce SVG files. What are you going to use the SVG file for?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 08:46:29 PM »

I'm not sure I have or can afford any sort of shapefile software.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 10:29:41 PM »

I'm not sure I have or can afford any sort of shapefile software.

QGIS is free.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies