Jungle Primaries: Finalist Dropout Question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:49:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Jungle Primaries: Finalist Dropout Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jungle Primaries: Finalist Dropout Question  (Read 810 times)
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2015, 04:24:11 PM »

For states with jungle-type primaries (Louisiana, California, Washington), what do state laws allow/direct when one of the two finalists withdraws/dies between the primary and general/run-off election?  I'm sure that each state has a different outcome for this situation, but I doubt that the party of the withdrawn candidate gets to name a replacement.  Perhaps the third place finisher in the primary moves up to the general/runoff?  It doesn't seem right that the other finalist would be declared the winner, especially in the case of a death.  I look forward to seeing any responses.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:27:21 PM »

In Louisiana, if one of candidates who gets a runoff slot drops out, the other person automatically wins. The 1987 Governor's race and 2007 Ag. Commissioner race are examples.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 04:32:51 PM »

For states with jungle-type primaries (Louisiana, California, Washington), what do state laws allow/direct when one of the two finalists withdraws/dies between the primary and general/run-off election?  I'm sure that each state has a different outcome for this situation, but I doubt that the party of the withdrawn candidate gets to name a replacement.  Perhaps the third place finisher in the primary moves up to the general/runoff?  It doesn't seem right that the other finalist would be declared the winner, especially in the case of a death.  I look forward to seeing any responses.

Yes, the Jungle system is incredibly bad for myriad reasons.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 02:30:27 AM »

In South Carolina primary runoffs, the third place finisher gets into the runoff instead. This actually happened in the 2014 LG R primary.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 07:12:39 PM »

rbt48, It's an interesting question considering that NE is the original top-2 jungle primary state for its legislature. The only difference is that the party affiliation isn't shown on the ballot in NE.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 10:19:05 PM »

Yes, the Jungle system is incredibly bad for myriad reasons.

Not to mention that it's an incredible drain to put on financially. It would be far better to just have IRV, if you want multiple rounds that bad.
rbt48

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 11:09:56 PM »

rbt48, It's an interesting question considering that NE is the original top-2 jungle primary state for its legislature. The only difference is that the party affiliation isn't shown on the ballot in NE.
Good point!  I can speak to how it works in Nebraska for the state legislature (and other various  mayoral and board elections--non-partisan).  The May primary lets the top two finishers advance to the November general election.  However, even if a candidate gets 99% of the vote in the May primary, they still have to compete in November.  If there are only two candidates in the May primary, the same two meet in November!  (This has struck me as kind of weird for the 22 years I've lived here.)

If there is a candidate dropout, another can replace that slot by petition with sufficient signatures (not sure how many are require) irrespective of party affiliation, but this needs to occur prior to ~Oct 1st.  After that, both candidates remain on the ballot if there is a dropout or death. 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 01:28:45 PM »

Good point!  I can speak to how it works in Nebraska for the state legislature (and other various  mayoral and board elections--non-partisan).  The May primary lets the top two finishers advance to the November general election.  However, even if a candidate gets 99% of the vote in the May primary, they still have to compete in November.  If there are only two candidates in the May primary, the same two meet in November!  (This has struck me as kind of weird for the 22 years I've lived here.)

If there is a candidate dropout, another can replace that slot by petition with sufficient signatures (not sure how many are require) irrespective of party affiliation, but this needs to occur prior to ~Oct 1st.  After that, both candidates remain on the ballot if there is a dropout or death. 

What if there is a dropout and more than one person files to be the replacement. Can there be more than 2 on the November ballot?
rbt48

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 02:56:52 PM »

No.  Just 2 candidates in the general election.  If two were working up petitions, the first to file with enough valid signatures would appear on the ballot.  Any others would be excluded. 

Oh, write-in votes are allowed in the primary and general election.  I think that LA, CA, and WA do not allow write-in votes in the run-off elections.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies