Will/should Neel Kashkari run for governor of Minnesota in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:55:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will/should Neel Kashkari run for governor of Minnesota in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should he?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Will/should Neel Kashkari run for governor of Minnesota in 2018?  (Read 2523 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2015, 10:00:19 AM »

Neel Kashkari has just been appointed to be the President of the Minneanapolis Federal Reserve. His tenure will begin on January 1st, 2016. This (obviously) means that he is going to from California to Minnesota.

Do you think that Neel Kashkari will run for governor of Minnesota in 2018? If so, what are his chances of victory? I don't follow Minnesota politics that much, so I have no idea who the potential Democratic candidates are.

He owns a $10 million house in California, so that might hurt him. He was also responsible for TARP (which makes me like him more). He is also a moderate Republican (which means that he has a chance if winning in Minnesota). What do you guys think? Should he run for gkvernor? How would he do if he did?
kansasdemocrat
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 11:18:24 AM »

Is this a joke thread?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »

Could he win the primary there? If he could, Kashkari would easily beat most Democratic candidates.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »

Could he win the primary there? If he could, Kashkari would easily beat most Democratic candidates.

You obviously don't know much about Minnesota.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 10:04:11 PM »

Has his name even been floated?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 12:15:54 AM »

I don't think Minnesotans view carpetbaggers in a positive light.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 12:21:25 AM »

He's not exactly a carpetbagger, but he also should not consider reducing himself to governing a state. Why would he give up a role like this after a year? Look how young he is. Wait 8+ years for sure.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 12:29:20 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Only if they don't mind losing.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 01:33:34 AM »

Is there a history of Federal Reserve Presidents running for public office?  Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would be encouraged.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 02:49:12 AM »

You obviously don't know much about Minnesota.
Most. Minnesota typically nominates very strong Democratic candidates. R. T. Rybak, Chris Coleman, and Tim Walz are examples of such.

He and... Patricia Anderson(?) seem like the only ones moderate enough to win statewide like Pawlenty did.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »

Oh God this thread.

OK first of all Kingpoleon please shut up. None of the "very strong Democratic candidates" you mentioned have ever been nominated for statewide office, two have never held any office higher than mayor and Walz was a dark horse candidate who turned out to be very strong lifted by the 2006 wave, not an all star recruit. That seat wasn't even on the radar of the DCCC when Walz was nominated. I know more about that campaign than anyone here, having worked on it and met the man multiple times. And Pat Anderson is hardly moderate, or a good candidate, someone who last held office more than ten years ago in 2018 and who no one remembers, was only elected to her office by about 1 point and with less than 50%, and who failed to retake her office in a GOP wave year is not who I'd look for as the best candidate. And Pawlenty is not moderate either, nor was he seen as such here, he got elected with less than 50% each time thanks to third party candidates and weak DFL ones.

As for this guy: 1-No one here knows who he is. 2-No one will in three years either (do you know who your Federal Reserve branch President is? Hell I don't know who the outgoing one is, nor did I know that he was appointed to take over in 2016), 3-The Minnesota Republicans aren't going to defer to him when they have plenty of local candidates who want to run and honestly would probably make better candidates. He may not be a carpetbagger, but I do think most people would expect someone to at least live in a state for a full gubernatorial term before governing it themselves.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »

Neel Kashkari is obviously a very talented guy, but there are plenty of local Minnesota Republicans who are totally capable of winning in 2018, and he'll have only lived in the state for a few years. He should do this job first.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 02:10:40 PM »

He would need to change his name to Neil Olafson or something to even think about running.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 02:51:58 AM »

Is there a history of Federal Reserve Presidents running for public office?  Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would be encouraged.

I think that Herman Cain was a former Fed President. Kansas City, if I recall.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 07:49:15 AM »

Who appointed him to this position? Minneapolis has a Democratic mayor, Minnesota has a Democratic governor, and the country has the Democratic president. So if he was appointed by a Democrat, he has no chance of winning a Republican Primary. Jon Huntsman syndrome.

Anyway, the Republicans are going to nominate that Iraq War dude with no legs who backed gay marriage like 5 years ago.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »

Who appointed him to this position? Minneapolis has a Democratic mayor, Minnesota has a Democratic governor, and the country has the Democratic president. So if he was appointed by a Democrat, he has no chance of winning a Republican Primary. Jon Huntsman syndrome.

Anyway, the Republicans are going to nominate that Iraq War dude with no legs who backed gay marriage like 5 years ago.

I don't think a one-term former state rep who past held office six years prior and was most well known due to praise from LGBT activists is a likely candidate to win the Republican nomination either.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 11:25:05 AM »

I think that Herman Cain was a former Fed President. Kansas City, if I recall.

No, he was on the advisory board and was even Chairman for awhile.  The Fed President is a professional full time position.  The board meets once a month and does "something"

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2011/10/herman_cain_s_fed_years_what_did_he_actually_do_.html
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 01:53:20 PM »

I don't think a one-term former state rep who past held office six years prior and was most well known due to praise from LGBT activists is a likely candidate to win the Republican nomination either.

They'll nominate an otherwise conservative war hero. Doesn't matter if he had one term in the house. He's got no legs cus the Muslims took his legs. By 2018 (if not already), his pro-gayness will also be a plus.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »

Oh God this thread.

OK first of all Kingpoleon please shut up. None of the "very strong Democratic candidates" you mentioned have ever been nominated for statewide office, two have never held any office higher than mayor and Walz was a dark horse candidate who turned out to be very strong lifted by the 2006 wave, not an all star recruit. That seat wasn't even on the radar of the DCCC when Walz was nominated. I know more about that campaign than anyone here, having worked on it and met the man multiple times. And Pat Anderson is hardly moderate, or a good candidate, someone who last held office more than ten years ago in 2018 and who no one remembers, was only elected to her office by about 1 point and with less than 50%, and who failed to retake her office in a GOP wave year is not who I'd look for as the best candidate. And Pawlenty is not moderate either, nor was he seen as such here, he got elected with less than 50% each time thanks to third party candidates and weak DFL ones.

As for this guy: 1-No one here knows who he is. 2-No one will in three years either (do you know who your Federal Reserve branch President is? Hell I don't know who the outgoing one is, nor did I know that he was appointed to take over in 2016), 3-The Minnesota Republicans aren't going to defer to him when they have plenty of local candidates who want to run and honestly would probably make better candidates. He may not be a carpetbagger, but I do think most people would expect someone to at least live in a state for a full gubernatorial term before governing it themselves.

Patricia Anderson supports SSM, IRC. As for the bolded spot, so? Walz is super strong electorally, not some all-star, handpicked, elite recruit. Coleman is quite popular as mayor, as was Rybak, who won a 2010 straw poll in Minnesota and lasted six rounds of balloting before endorsing.

Being elected statewide... Do you want me to name any of the incumbent unknowns? Klobuchar to pull a Dayton?

Judi Dutcher is the only well-known statewide elected official in Minnesota I can think of. Do you want me to say Swanswon or Yvonne are strong Democratic candidates?
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 04:41:22 PM »

I'm personally hoping Tina Smith will make a run.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies