Stronach crosses floor to join Liberals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:17:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Stronach crosses floor to join Liberals
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Stronach crosses floor to join Liberals  (Read 5667 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2005, 03:36:13 AM »

Wow. Well, after her dad ruined Austrian football forevermore, I guess she tried and failed to do the same to the Conservatives, and will now try it on the Liberals. Tongue

What do you have against the lovely Ms. Stronach?
Her dad. Pure and simple. Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2005, 03:46:49 AM »

What did he do?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2005, 04:05:30 AM »

He apparently "ruined Austrian football forevermore".
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2005, 04:07:44 AM »

I don't get it. I wasn't aware the Stronach's were involved in Austrian soccer of all things.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2005, 04:35:28 AM »

He pretty much bought the whole league. Well, not officially. But what he says goes. More or less like Abramovich in Russia.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2005, 04:40:26 AM »

What's wrong with that? I would think you Europeans would love us Canadians. I mean, we did liberate Holland.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2005, 04:46:28 AM »

What's wrong with that? I would think you Europeans would love us Canadians. I mean, we did liberate Holland.
I have a huge problem with someone dominating a country's whole Football Association. Most European football fans do.
I have no problem with the fact that he's Canadian.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2005, 10:59:10 AM »

I can't believe people want Belinda Stronach to be the Prime Minister... God have mercy on us all if she did...

Siege
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2005, 12:40:48 PM »

I can't believe people want Belinda Stronach to be the Prime Minister... God have mercy on us all if she did...

Siege

Prediction:

By 2010, the entire North American continent will be in the hands of people who have had sexual relations with Bill Clinton.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2005, 12:47:47 PM »

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador had sex with Bill Clinton?...eww....

Siege

Prediction:

By 2010, the entire North American continent will be in the hands of people who have had sexual relations with Bill Clinton.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2005, 01:29:51 PM »

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, that's what I'm REALLY doing now!!! My mom is TOTALLY PISSED!!!!

Is she a Conservative or what?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2005, 01:50:32 PM »

Siege

Prediction:

Can you prove that it is not already?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2005, 02:07:19 PM »

She was a Conservative MP prior to her defection.
Banana Republic
Rookie

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2005, 03:56:33 PM »

I wouldn't want somebody in my party who is willing to switch to the other side on a whim. Who wants this flakey traitor as thier PM?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2005, 04:12:32 PM »

I wouldn't want somebody in my party who is willing to switch to the other side on a whim.

She was already the most liberal MP in the Conservative Party, and I would hardly call it a "whim", either; she perceived the Conservatives as getting in bed with the separatist party, the Bloq Quebecois, purely for political gain, and didn't want to stand for it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2005, 04:17:57 PM »

Siege

Why is that?  Why do you hate her so much?
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2005, 07:50:35 PM »

Siege

Earl you assume a lot of my opinions from my posts. I don't hate Belinda Stronach, I just think she's a lousy politician and would make an extremely poor choice for Member of Parliament, let alone Prime Minister of this country.

The woman betrayed her constituents, engaged in petty party politics with Harper, and changed party not because any act of conscience, but for political ambition. While I recognize most politicians have ambitions and may be devious to attain them she has epidimized this.

I might as well add, before you call me a sexist, or imply it again, that I find the insults being thrown at her based on her physical appearance or sex are disgraceful and those in the media and in politics should be ashamed of themselves.

Siege
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2005, 08:15:54 PM »

Siege

Earl you assume a lot of my opinions from my posts. I don't hate Belinda Stronach, I just think she's a lousy politician and would make an extremely poor choice for Member of Parliament, let alone Prime Minister of this country.

The woman betrayed her constituents, engaged in petty party politics with Harper, and changed party not because any act of conscience, but for political ambition. While I recognize most politicians have ambitions and may be devious to attain them she has epidimized this.

I might as well add, before you call me a sexist, or imply it again, that I find the insults being thrown at her based on her physical appearance or sex are disgraceful and those in the media and in politics should be ashamed of themselves.

Siege

Ms. Stronach did not betray her constituents. She will get re-elected, even if the election is this spring, you can bet on it. If she didn't run in the last election, the Liberals would have won the riding. It was so close, that personal popularity carried it for her. The same will happen again. Just look at Scott Brison.

Now I admit, her move may have been triggered by ambition, but only a small bit. I doesn't take an idiot to realize she was in the wrong party, as many of her positions conflicted with the Conservative Party. You just have to watch the Conservative convention this year to realize this. The poor woman was booed many times.

The problem we have in this country is that all our great female leaders are criticized so much that it makes it difficult for them ever to become Prime Minister. You may not be "sexist", but you have to try supporting women- moderate female politicians instead of labelling with false attributes. There is no reason why she would not make a great Prime Minister.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2005, 08:44:49 PM »

The Red Tories collectively have now become the Liberal Party, so yes, it made sense for Belinda to shift parties, but she should of never ran if it wasn't the right party for her.

And Belind may be a fine politician, I have yet to see proof of this, but I think there are far better women and men in parliament that could do her job. For example my MP Colleen Baumier has sat in parliament for over 10 years and has not come close getting a Cabinet position, she's done notable work in many committees especially those dealing with foreign issues.

Is my MP more or less qualified for the Cabinet than Ms. Stronach. I was hoping that Ms. Baumier would get a seat in the Cabinet, but I guess spots are reserved for Conservative turncoats. I really don't care the sex of any politicians, it matters more to me their experience, their record, and their positions.

Siege
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2005, 09:09:06 PM »

The Red Tories collectively have now become the Liberal Party, so yes, it made sense for Belinda to shift parties, but she should of never ran if it wasn't the right party for her.

And Belind may be a fine politician, I have yet to see proof of this, but I think there are far better women and men in parliament that could do her job. For example my MP Colleen Baumier has sat in parliament for over 10 years and has not come close getting a Cabinet position, she's done notable work in many committees especially those dealing with foreign issues.

Is my MP more or less qualified for the Cabinet than Ms. Stronach. I was hoping that Ms. Baumier would get a seat in the Cabinet, but I guess spots are reserved for Conservative turncoats. I really don't care the sex of any politicians, it matters more to me their experience, their record, and their positions.

Siege

Belinda could be considered more qualified. She played a huge role in making the Conservative Party, and her disappointment with the way it turned out was one of the factors that led her to move.  Ms. Stronach was also named as one of the most powerful women in the world by Forbes magazine. Sure, she was handed her job by her father, but it takes good work, to make it to the top. This is experience. We will also note that Paul Martin himself was a powerful businessman before getting into politics.  Perhaps what Ms. Beaumier is lacking is having a similar ideology as Paul Martin. As you can tell by his actions last year, it helps.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2005, 09:50:11 PM »

She was a Conservative MP prior to her defection.

I was asking Dean about hi smom
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2005, 10:06:27 PM »

anyway, how can one defection stop the collapse of the government? Was there onoly a liikely one-vote margin?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2005, 10:13:16 PM »

anyway, how can one defection stop the collapse of the government? Was there onoly a liikely one-vote margin?

We will find out tommorow. Two independents are both undecided, and if they both vote against the government, it will fail. Before Belinda crossed, only one had to vote against I believe.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2005, 04:20:05 AM »

Cadman will probably do what his constituents want him to do.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2005, 02:25:48 PM »

Cadman will probably do what his constituents want him to do.

His constituents want him to vote for the Budget. Looks like Kilgour may vote against. That will give us a tie, with the speaker breaking the vote. Boourns! We will find out in about 2 hours.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies