Watch Tarantino movies to stick it to the NYPD!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:50:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Watch Tarantino movies to stick it to the NYPD!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Watch Tarantino movies to stick it to the NYPD!  (Read 1725 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2015, 12:12:02 PM »

They are calling for a boycott of his films: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/nypd-police-union-calls-boycott-quentin-tarantino-films
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 02:38:51 PM »

Jesus Christ, the things being said by the cops about "moral degeneracy" sound like something Hitler would say.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »

Jesus Christ, the things being said by the cops about "moral degeneracy" sound like something Hitler would say.

Yeah.  I'm sure if you looked at the video rental habits of the average policeman they are a lot less violent than that of the average citizen.  Yeah I doubt this guy watches over the top violent movies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhElLWaSF98
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 03:02:02 PM »

NYPD fighting the good fight. Tarantino makes unadulterated infantile, fetishistic tripe that are black marks on all of cinema.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 03:05:32 PM »

No.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »

Eh, I've watched lots of movies by people I think are insufferable. This won't stop me from seeing Hateful Eight.

The only person I've actually been driven to boycott is Mel Gibson.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 03:21:59 PM »

lol @ the moral brigade already hitting this thread
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 04:15:44 PM »

It's odd because I've never considered Tarantino to be political - he has a tremendously encyclopaedic depth in his knowledge of cinematic tropes, especially his passions (B-movies, Kung-fu, spaghetti-westerns, ultraviolent anime and manga, slashers; but very little breadth to his outlook on the world. In that his technical skill sometimes masks his lack of substance, he reminds me of a gory version of Spielberg.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 04:52:33 PM »

In that his technical skill sometimes masks his lack of substance, he reminds me of a gory version of Spielberg.

I couldn't agree more with the first part of that sentence. Tarantino's movies lack any emotional depth, they are just showcases of his directorial virtuosity.

Even so, NYPD is acting like a spoiled brat. Not that surprising considering that they have been pandered by almost everyone for years.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »

It's odd because I've never considered Tarantino to be political - he has a tremendously encyclopaedic depth in his knowledge of cinematic tropes, especially his passions (B-movies, Kung-fu, spaghetti-westerns, ultraviolent anime and manga, slashers; but very little breadth to his outlook on the world. In that his technical skill sometimes masks his lack of substance, he reminds me of a gory version of Spielberg.

Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained were very political (and very liberal) films.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:25 PM »

Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained were very political (and very liberal) films.
Don't forget very overrated films as well.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »

I didn't get a very political vibe from them (but I could be remembering them wrong) beyond Nazis and slave traders being bad, which is hardly a controversial or politically interesting commentary. They are merely spaghetti westerns set in Nazi Germany and the antebellum South.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 03:33:59 PM »

I didn't get a very political vibe from them (but I could be remembering them wrong) beyond Nazis and slave traders being bad, which is hardly a controversial or politically interesting commentary. They are merely spaghetti westerns set in Nazi Germany and the antebellum South.

Yeah, if anything their relative ideological artlessness and disinterest in making Grand Statements is what sets them apart from other movies with their subject matter--and in the case of Django is what got Tarantino in trouble with a lot of black intellectuals and tastemakers in the black community.

I'd say I'm a Tarantino fan, but not an uncritical one; he has pretty distinct and obvious limits, and going to him for serious commentary on the world is stupid.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 03:53:15 PM »

QT is one the best in the business, NYPD's comments only make me want to see this movie more.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 04:26:35 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2015, 04:28:07 PM by MW Senator Max »

Quentin Tarantino films aren't political in nature. In truth, for all of the solid material in his films, for a director of his claim he's pretty superficial. He's deeply nostalgic, he uses the elements of exploitation films and puts them in more complex situations and with more amusing dialogue, but I think he's only beginning to dig beneath that.

To me, watching Tarantino movies is like watching a movie nerd's dreamscape. It's incredibly well done, very referential to past hallmarks, but it's pretty lacking in emotional substance. Probably because that's just not his wheel house. But it makes for a pretty vapid experience.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »

All taste issues aside, calling for boycotts is usually stupid, since it brings attention to what controversial person/thing being boycotted is doing, and thus will draw more support from people who agree with it. Married...With Children was a mediocre rated show until some woman started a boycott campaign to convince advertisers to pull from it, which got it tons of attention and it became one of the top rated shows on TV. During the 90s some fundie groups called for boycotts of ABC and anyone who advertised on Ellen after the show's infamous episode where Ellen came out, which resulted only in the ratings skyrocketing (that episode was the highest rated episode of Ellen ever), and brought more publicity and free advertising to the marketers.

This will generate far more business for Tarantino's next film than it'll lose.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »

Just... No.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 01:01:25 PM »

I have boycotted Tarantino ever since Grindhouse. "Deathproof" was such a disappointment.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 01:26:15 PM »

Django is all about killin' whitey and Uncle Tom (Samuel L. Jackson's character being a clear forerunner to Herman Cain and Ben Carson) so it's clearly a liberal fantasy.

Always thought it was weird that the "Chapelle Show" thought it couldn't show the skit where the playa-haters travel back in time and shoot the slave-owner.  Of course, they did show it on the outtakes episode.

seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 06:55:10 PM »

I'll watch Tarantino movies because they are great movies.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »

I have boycotted Tarantino ever since Grindhouse. "Deathproof" was such a disappointment.

Well you have really missed out because his last two films were great.
DS0816
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 07:31:34 AM »

What film would the anti-Quentin Tarantino/NYPD supporters recommend?

“Magnum Force” (1973)?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 07:35:06 AM »

Django is about slaves killing slave owners.

Basterds is about Jews killing Nazis.

They're both good films but they're the ideological equivalent of saying "Hitler is bad" in one case, literally. Nothing really for anyone to get upset over, unless you like slavery or Nazism.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 09:06:50 AM »

Anyone who thinks they aren't left-wing should've read their IMDB boards after they came out.

Inglourious Basterds: Wow, this movie is sick propaganda...you leftists claim to be so anti-fascist but you take it so far you are basically fascists themselves! You know not all Germans were Nazis, so many German soldiers were just proud people serving their country and no at all like the savage killers this movie makes the heroes who were more like the SS, I'm hearing about people cheering in theaters when Germans get murdered in this movie, this is a true sign of the corrupted American Obama has brought all you leftist sheep, blah blah blah...

Django Unchained: This movie is disgusting and a bunch of propaganda against white southerners. You know slavery wasn't as regarded as horrendous by society at the time as it is now, you can't blame people for what time period and society they were born into, this movie just writes them all off and thinks they should all get bloody deaths, the only sympathetic white character in it is not even an American, I'm sure you leftists love applauding this filth and would love this to happen to real southern whites today, not surprising this sick nation re-elected Obama, blah blah blah...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 09:12:41 AM »

That's just proof that random internet commenters are invariably inbred idiots.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies