OH-BGSU/Zogby: Marijuana legalization too close to call in Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 05:29:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-BGSU/Zogby: Marijuana legalization too close to call in Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: OH-BGSU/Zogby: Marijuana legalization too close to call in Ohio  (Read 4865 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 05:13:26 PM »

Can someone please explain what their problem with the monopoly clause is?

It's crony capitalism. Pot is "legal" as long as you buy it from the crony legalized cartels. 

A lot of States do that with liquor. I feel like this is just an excuse for no voters.
Legal > Semi-Legal through State monopoly > Illegal
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »

I want to know if the anti-gerrymandering measure is ahead.

it almost certainly is, Bandit. there is literally no organized opposition. i can't even find a "No on Issue 1" website. The dems, GOP, and even the greens support it. i don't know of a single newspaper editorial against it. there's no nascient tea party/patriot opposition to my knowledge. it'd be shocked if it didn't pass.

The only way I could see it failing is if people vote against it because it's too complicated for them to understand without background research. Like the judicial retirement age referendum, people may vote no out of uncertainty. I don't think they will though for this and it will probably pass comfortably.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 11:32:27 PM »

I doubt this will pass, but I really don't feel that the monopoly is that big an issue, considering several states with highly-praised medicinal marijuana laws have even fewer sites than this does and no one had an issue with it.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 01:11:33 AM »

I love pot and Issue 3 feels gross to me.

The fixation to change the way pot is bought infuriates me. You text a number, meet in a indescript place, exchange awkward words, pay and leave. Then, you share it with your friends. Buying it at a store feels so weird to me. My vision would be like a CSA:have a farmer's co-op grow it, and then have county/city level delivery to a central place (or even home delivery), where you pick up your order (made in advance).
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 05:22:36 AM »

The fixation to change the way pot is bought infuriates me. You text a number, meet in a indescript place, exchange awkward words, pay and leave. Then, you share it with your friends. Buying it at a store feels so weird to me. My vision would be like a CSA:have a farmer's co-op grow it, and then have county/city level delivery to a central place (or even home delivery), where you pick up your order (made in advance).

The kind of people you have to interact with in that situation is not only the reason why there is support for issue 3 despite its flaws but also the reason why conservatives support tougher laws against crime and cameras on street corners. Buying it at the store is legitimate, buying it from a gangster is not and never will be. It also carries risks like the seller, typically a second hand seller connected to the mafia or the illegal cartels, adding other ingredients to make it more addictive or stronger/more dangerous for their profit, bringing weapons, or that trick they do where it suddenly costs more in person than on the phone. Stores on the other hand are public places that you don't need some special connection to access.

The fixation to change the way pot is bought is reasonable, the way it stands now you always have to "know" someone, and that someone isn't always a nice honest and upstanding businessman. At one point I was morbidly curious enough to ask "who do I have to know" and of course the response was something along the lines of "you're either in or out, and you're out" (I don't actually remember but being in HS I think they were somehow trying to hurt my feelings).
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2015, 07:35:12 AM »

I doubt this will pass, but I really don't feel that the monopoly is that big an issue, considering several states with highly-praised medicinal marijuana laws have even fewer sites than this does and no one had an issue with it.

I agree that the monopoly issue is not a big deal for states. Here's what I posted on the IP board.

I read the text of Issues 2 and 3. What happens if both 2 and 3 are approved, and then the feds move marijuana from schedule I to schedule II as has been requested both in petitions and by the American Medical Association? That would seem to make Issue 2 moot since it only applies to cartels for schedule I substances, so Issue 3 could go ahead as written.

On a second point, states have lots of regulations creating monopolies in areas like the siting of power plants, hospitals and waste stations. It's not unusual for cities or counties to have a fixed pool of licenses for liquor sales or taxis that create oligopolies. Why is creating a fixed set of medical marijuana cultivation centers different than creating a fixed set of hospital locations or liquor licenses?

The ballot controversy isn't about the dispensaries since there would be over 1000 permitted by the amendment. The feared cartel is for the cultivation centers. In IL the cultivation centers are limited in number, regulated and sited much like a waste transfer station would be sited. Waste stations have a maze of state and federal pollution regs to comply with. Given the federally restricted nature of marijuana, it didn't strike me as unusual or unwise for a state to regulate the cultivation centers, too.

Cultivation is widely dispersed in CA as well, and again, so far as I am aware, it has not been an issue.

I looked at the current state of CA law as passed and signed in Sept.

Large scale cultivators in CA (10k sq ft+) are limited in number as set by the CA Dept of Food and Ag. That looks like the IL law and the proposal in OH. It looks like those large scale cultivators in CA also are barred from other aspects of the process such as manufacturing and distribution.

The difference I see in CA compared to IL and the OH proposal is that CA has a class of license for small growers. But even in CA the small growers are very limited as to the number dispensaries they can serve. It looks highly structured and regulated in CA to me.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »

So I've read that there are actually people saying that they plan to vote yes on both Issue 2 and Issue 3, saying that Issue 2 would invalidate only the monopoly portion of the marijuana ballot measure, but not the entire measure, leaving marijuana itself legal. Sec. Jon Husted says that it would invalidate every word of Issue 3, keeping marijuana illegal, despite Issue 2 only dealing with state-sanctioned monopolies. If this is the case, then that'll be a fun one to watch at the Ohio Supreme Court.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2015, 03:13:09 PM »

If this is the case, then that'll be a fun one to watch at the Ohio Supreme Court.

Which is 6-1 Republican. Don't hold your breath.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »

I'm so confused. So what are us Legalizers hoping will pass, 2 or 3?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2015, 06:22:54 PM »

Marijuana initiatives tend to follow the same polling pattern as gay marriage initiatives did: The pro vote deteriorates from the start of campaigning , and undecideds break heavily for voting No.
Tell that to the four states and DC that already legalized by ballot measures.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »

3. Passing 2 would cancel 3.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2015, 07:23:27 PM »

Marijuana initiatives tend to follow the same polling pattern as gay marriage initiatives did: The pro vote deteriorates from the start of campaigning , and undecideds break heavily for voting No.
Tell that to the four states and DC that already legalized by ballot measures.

In each case support dropped over the campaign and undecideds broke for No. Yes won because it started way ahead in the polls in each state.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2015, 07:26:32 PM »

What time do polls close in Ohio?  Come on, No!!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2015, 07:29:59 PM »

What time do polls close in Ohio?  Come on, No!!

Right now.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »

Hamilton county voting extended thanks to an injecture by Responsible Ohio.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2015, 08:09:18 PM »

3. Passing 2 would cancel 3.
Thanks, I am hoping for the best!
warandwar
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2015, 09:03:08 PM »

The kind of people you have to interact with in that situation is not only the reason why there is support for issue 3 despite its flaws but also the reason why conservatives support tougher laws against crime and cameras on street corners. Buying it at the store is legitimate, buying it from a gangster is not and never will be. It also carries risks like the seller, typically a second hand seller connected to the mafia or the illegal cartels, adding other ingredients to make it more addictive or stronger/more dangerous for their profit, bringing weapons, or that trick they do where it suddenly costs more in person than on the phone. Stores on the other hand are public places that you don't need some special connection to access.

The fixation to change the way pot is bought is reasonable, the way it stands now you always have to "know" someone, and that someone isn't always a nice honest and upstanding businessman. At one point I was morbidly curious enough to ask "who do I have to know" and of course the response was something along the lines of "you're either in or out, and you're out" (I don't actually remember but being in HS I think they were somehow trying to hurt my feelings).

Have you ever bought weed? Because I've sold it.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2015, 09:09:11 PM »

16% in and no leads about 2-to-1.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2015, 09:11:16 PM »

2 is 55/45 and 3 is 34/66. Not happening. 1 is easily passing.
Hydera

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2015, 09:15:16 PM »

I knew stoners were going to forget to vote.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2015, 09:35:19 PM »

AP has called it for no on marijuana legalization!
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »

1 has called in favor and 3 has failed...by a larger margin than I expected. Only one too early or close to call so far is 2, which has dropped to 53/47.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2015, 09:47:41 PM »

What a stupid way to try and legalize marijuana. Do it right next time, people!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »

Consequently , based on this poll, and another Akron U. poll last week that showed the vote tied at 46%, i predict yes finishes in the mid to low 40's, with an outside chance a "shy No" vote and unexpectedly low turnout makes it a total rout for the No side.

And the latter was correct, apparently.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2015, 09:55:48 PM »

What % of voting Democrats do you think opposed this because of the monopoly?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies