Maybe it's time for normal Republicans to form a third party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:17:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Maybe it's time for normal Republicans to form a third party
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Maybe it's time for normal Republicans to form a third party  (Read 7423 times)
defe07

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 08:16:35 PM »

No, but we should (first) replace the FPTP system with an IRV voting system, and (second) kick the crazies out. By "crazies", I only mean the people that support Trump. Cruz-fans, Paul-fans, heck, even Carson-fans are still sort-of okay-ish.

I like the way you think! Implement Instant Runoff Voting! Maybe even have blanket primaries once again where voters, whether D, R, I or O, can vote for the candidate they like the most!!

Yes!  IRV is great and, at the very least, take the Jungle Primary national.  Enough of the weirdos flipping the table over and whining like little children when they don't get their way.  And to be clear, even though the Tea Party comes to mind first, I am directing this just as much toward people like DeBlasio and Bernie.

I remember talking with my dad about election reform and how the primary systems work in each state. Then he mentioned that he liked the system where you could be registered independent but you'd get a ballot for all offices and could vote for a Democrat for US Senator, Republican for US House and Libertarian for Governor, for example. The blanket primary! Smiley
bobloblaw
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 09:24:21 PM »

normal Republicans = Republicans from states that never vote Republican

IOW Republicans you should never listen to.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »

IOW, people who were Republicans before your natural home (the Democrats) got too "elitist" for you.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »

I wish we could figure out a better way of (1) financing these ridiculously expensive races and (2) ensuring an engaged, informed electorate. If we were able to do these two things, we could get rid of parties altogether, and people could spend time evaluating ideas and candidate qualifications rather than crazy blue and red maps.

“There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.”
― John Adams
King of the Uzbeks
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 09:15:48 AM »

No, but we should (first) replace the FPTP system with an IRV voting system, and (second) kick the crazies out. By "crazies", I only mean the people that support Trump. Cruz-fans, Paul-fans, heck, even Carson-fans are still sort-of okay-ish.
Paul-fans are fine. It's Trump-fans and Cruz-fans that bother me. Carson-fans are more moderate Huckabees.

Wait are you saying Huckabee fans aren't a problem.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 11:03:34 PM »

Oh, what state are you from?  Your ally Country Class is from California ... so if you're from a state that "never votes Republican" (I thought you were from IL, but you for some reason refuse to utilize our avatar feature), you're going to look really dumb.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 11:09:55 PM »

IOW, people who were Republicans before your natural home (the Democrats) got too "elitist" for you.

The modern Democratic Party is definitely not bobloblaw's natural home.
bobloblaw
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 10:45:31 AM »

I guess Paul LePage is good
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 10:50:44 AM »

But the parties never changed! The parties are always going to be the same! Democrats are racist xenophobes while Republicans are great wealthy moderates!
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 12:37:52 PM »

But the parties never changed! The parties are always going to be the same! Democrats are racist xenophobes while Republicans are great wealthy moderates!

The parties changed, but they haven't switched like some simplistic moron who's never read anything about politics would believe.  Quite frankly, I'm glad people like boboblaw don't have a natural home.  The Democrats are too accepting and open-minded for him, and the Republicans are too business-oriented and fiscally conservative for him.  His views (those of a Dixiecrat) are antiquated and irrelevant, and he deserves to wander in the political wilderness.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 12:47:54 PM »

The parties changed, but they haven't switched like some simplistic moron who's never read anything about politics would believe.  Quite frankly, I'm glad people like boboblaw don't have a natural home.  The Democrats are too accepting and open-minded for him, and the Republicans are too business-oriented and fiscally conservative for him.  His views (those of a Dixiecrat) are antiquated and irrelevant, and he deserves to wander in the political wilderness.

I wish you and the rest of the non-nativist GOP luck in getting rid of people like boboblaw.

The whole country will be better off for it.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 12:49:03 PM »

IMO the RINO's need to be purged from the party, if they're not advocating the policies of the Republican party they can go join the Democrats we don't need them.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »

I wish we could figure out a better way of (1) financing these ridiculously expensive races and (2) ensuring an engaged, informed electorate. If we were able to do these two things, we could get rid of parties altogether, and people could spend time evaluating ideas and candidate qualifications rather than crazy blue and red maps.

“There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.”
― John Adams

Clearly Adams thought a lot about these nonpartisan feelings, before he, err, joined the Federalists. Anyway, he was mainly concerned with restricting suffrage and people bitching above him, because he knew that his faction was reviled by the majority of Americans. Who cares what he had to say?

Anyway, parties are the best way to organise large groups of people under a common banner. If they didn't exist, every member of congress would have no loyalty to anyone but braying local constituents and inane local concerns. Has anybody ever looked at congress and thought "gee, if only this place was more disorganised and stupid?"

I do agree that it is best certain members are nonpartisan - judges, SoS positions and House Speakers for one - and legislatures should give up on the irritating majoritarianism that my country accidentally left you with (soz btw). But doing away with political parties is like trying to ban gravity to stop deaths from falling.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 01:09:26 PM »

IMO the RINO's need to be purged from the party, if they're not advocating the policies of the Republican party they can go join the Democrats we don't need them.

A party of libertarians, hard-core conservatives, nativists, bible-thumpers, and the most hardcore fiscal conservatives

vs.

The modern Democratic party + anybody considered a RINO by today's GOP.

Yeah I can sure see that working out well electorally for the first group.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »

A party of libertarians, hard-core conservatives, nativists, bible-thumpers, and the most hardcore fiscal conservatives

vs.

And it worked extremely well for us last year why should we compromise with the leftists on anything?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 01:18:49 PM »

vs.

Do you really want a party dependent on those horrible people? Democrats would do better wooing Trumpists rather than the sort of odious individual who self-identifies as a moderate
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »

vs.

Do you really want a party dependent on those horrible people? Democrats would do better wooing Trumpists rather than the sort of odious individual who self-identifies as a moderate

Trumpists hate Bernie yet when Trump holds half the views of Sanders they got NUTS over that...
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »

vs.

Trumpists are the real moderates though.

Kasichists are just lame-o's masquerading as moderate.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »

I wish you and the rest of the non-nativist GOP luck in getting rid of people like boboblaw.

That way the GOP can focus on making life miserable for all poor people, regardless of race!
bobloblaw
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »

That way the GOP can focus on making life miserable for all poor people, regardless of race!

Under Reagan all income groups saw their incomes rise. Under Obama only the top .1% have done better
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2015, 02:44:55 PM »

1) What has happened to you?  You used to at least kind of make sense, now you seem to have gone full Ted Cruz.

2) Who defines who's a RINO?  I bet boboblaw disagrees with GOP policy as much as I do, but because he rails against being "PC" and is xenophobic, he's the "real" Republican?  GMAFB, dude.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »

1) What has happened to you?  You used to at least kind of make sense, now you seem to have gone full Ted Cruz.

2) Who defines who's a RINO?  I bet boboblaw disagrees with GOP policy as much as I do, but because he rails against being "PC" and is xenophobic, he's the "real" Republican?  GMAFB, dude.

I realized your wing of the party is a joke and needs to be purged over to the Democrats

If you don't like us, why don't you leave yourself?  We were here first before all the Bible-Thumpers and racists in our nation's worst region got mad at Grandpappy's Democratic Party and came running here.
bobloblaw
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2015, 03:12:14 PM »

I realized your wing of the party is a joke and needs to be purged over to the Democrats

If you don't like us, why don't you leave yourself?  We were here first before all the Bible-Thumpers and racists in our nation's worst region got mad at Grandpappy's Democratic Party and came running here.

You never won an election since 1956 without us.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 03:15:20 PM »

please change your avatar to a D thanks
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »

Over the course of a few weeks, the forum's lolbertarian base has broken.

They've become aggressive, rash, and absurdly idiotic.

They may have become deluded into believing that their ideology of sixteen year old potsmokers has a chance in reality. Poor, poor souls.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies