1968: Nelson Rockefeller(R-NY) v. Stuart Symington(D-MO) v. Ross Barnett(A-MS)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:42:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: Nelson Rockefeller(R-NY) v. Stuart Symington(D-MO) v. Ross Barnett(A-MS)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968: Nelson Rockefeller(R-NY) v. Stuart Symington(D-MO) v. Ross Barnett(A-MS)  (Read 788 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »

In 1968, Stuart Symington wages a furious primary challenge against Vice President Humphrey, Governor Pat Brown, Representative Mo Udall, Senator Ed Muskie, and others. Muskie and Udall drop out to return to Congress before the Convention, while Brown eventually tosses his support behind Symington at the Convention.

Nelson Rockefeller surges to victory after Reagan and Nixon run for President, with Reagan winning California and knocking Nixon down. The establishment coalesces around Rockefeller, and Reagan is promised several Cabinet appointments of his choice(State, Justice, Interior, and Commerce).

337: Gov. Nelson Rockefeller(R-NY)/Sen. Mark Hatfield(R-OR) - 44.9%
184: Sen. Stuart Symington(D-MO)/Secretary Stewart Udall(D-AZ) - 42.3%
17: Fmr Gov. Ross Barnett(American-MS)/Sen. Jon Sparkman(American-AL) - 12.7%
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 05:27:36 PM »

1968 would have been Rockefeller's best opportunity to be elected President.

I believe he would have defeated any Democratic candidate, including Symington or Humphrey.

I do not think, however, that Rockefeller would have picked a liberal Republican like Hatfield for Vice President.

He would have gone for a more conservative running mate.  I think he would have tried to get Reagan on the ticket, but I don't think Reagan would have wanted the Vice Presidency.

But if he did accept, and served faithfully and well for 8 years, he would certainly have been the nominee in 1976.     
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 01:25:45 PM »

1968 would have been Rockefeller's best opportunity to be elected President.

I believe he would have defeated any Democratic candidate, including Symington or Humphrey.

I do not think, however, that Rockefeller would have picked a liberal Republican like Hatfield for Vice President.

He would have gone for a more conservative running mate.  I think he would have tried to get Reagan on the ticket, but I don't think Reagan would have wanted the Vice Presidency.

But if he did accept, and served faithfully and well for 8 years, he would certainly have been the nominee in 1976.
Would be choose someone like Senator Everett Dirksen, then?
johnpressman
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 01:46:05 PM »

Sorry, once Rockefeller divorced his wife, remarried a younger woman who had left her husband and children for him, his Presidential ambitions were over.  In fact, it was the birth of his son with his new wife on the eve of the California Republican Presidential Primary in 1964 that many believe caused his loss to Goldwater.

Symington was a nonentity by 1968.  His bland personality and uninspiring speaking style had caused him to fade into the background by then. one hardly ever heard his name mentioned. He never came close to the popularity he enjoyed in 1960.

A Rockefeller vs Humphrey race in 1968 would have been more realistic, even with Rocky's slim chance to win the nomination, at least he was in the race.  The net result of this contest would be a much larger vote for Wallace, possibly throwing the election into the House of Representatives.  The American electorate in 1968 was much more conservative than it is today.   Given the choice between two free spending liberals and a Southern segregationist, many voters would have stayed home. The only issue that Rocky could have used to lure conservative voters to his cause was Vietnam.  Rocky, believe it or not, was  a hawk on the war.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 09:42:35 PM »

Sorry, once Rockefeller divorced his wife, remarried a younger woman who had left her husband and children for him, his Presidential ambitions were over.  In fact, it was the birth of his son with his new wife on the eve of the California Republican Presidential Primary in 1964 that many believe caused his loss to Goldwater.

Symington was a nonentity by 1968.  His bland personality and uninspiring speaking style had caused him to fade into the background by then. one hardly ever heard his name mentioned. He never came close to the popularity he enjoyed in 1960.

A Rockefeller vs Humphrey race in 1968 would have been more realistic, even with Rocky's slim chance to win the nomination, at least he was in the race.  The net result of this contest would be a much larger vote for Wallace, possibly throwing the election into the House of Representatives.  The American electorate in 1968 was much more conservative than it is today.   Given the choice between two free spending liberals and a Southern segregationist, many voters would have stayed home. The only issue that Rocky could have used to lure conservative voters to his cause was Vietnam.  Rocky, believe it or not, was  a hawk on the war.
Symington would run as the anti-Johnson candidate, backed by Harry Truman and the Truman Establishment. Rocky was a hawk on Vietnam who usually braced realpolitik.

"Don't Blame Nelson Rockefeller's Wife"
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/05/happy-nelson-rockefeller-wife-barry-goldwater-gop-racist-118298
johnpressman
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »

Kingpolean, sorry, once again to disagree with you, but Stuart Symington's Presidential hopes began and ended with the 1960 election.  I was very interested in politics in the year 1968, and NEVER heard even the mention of his name in any discussion of viable candidates for President.  In fact, I only learned anything about him by reading books about the election of 1960.  He didn't take any position on the Vietnam War, either pro or anti Johnson's policies.  Besides, in 1968, Symington was already 67 years old and at that time it was considered too old for a presidential race.  Any influence held by Truman or his cronies was long gone by 1960.

Again, Rockefeller had no chance to win the 1968 Republican nomination for president.  His liberal views, free-spending ways and, more importantly, his divorce and remarriage ended his presidential
ambitions.  Even JFK, hearing of his divorce and remarriage remarked that Nelson chose love over ambition.  Even Gerald Ford had to succumb to GOP pressure to remove Rocky from the ticket as Vice President in 1976 or risk defeat by Reagan for the nomination.

Interestingly, his two chances to become President came at the hands of Lynette "Squeaky" Frome and Sarah Jane Moore, who both attempted to assassinate President Ford while Rocky was VP!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies