CNN Las Vegas, NV Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:44:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  CNN Las Vegas, NV Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26
Author Topic: CNN Las Vegas, NV Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**  (Read 17553 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2015, 06:19:04 AM »

CNN will broadcast the first debate for the Democratic presidential candidates of this cycle, taking place in Las Vegas, and set to run from 9 to 11pm Eastern time.  Anderson Cooper will moderate, assisted by Dana Bash and Juan Carlos Lopez.  Don Lemon will also be relaying some of the questions posed by voters on Facebook and Instagram.  Clinton, Sanders, O樽alley, Webb, and Chafee will all be participating.

While the debate begins at 9, CNN痴 coverage begins at 8:30.  Post your live commentary here.  Feel free to post pre-game discussion here in the interim.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:24:55 AM »

The stage:

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:57:41 AM »

I'm still rather surprised Chafee is in and not Lessig (he was building a pretty good "let him debate!" coalition there for a little bit).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 07:56:09 AM »

Who ?

Anyway: I don't like this format using podiums and a sound after 1 minute.

I recently watched the Vienna state election debate and all candidates were sitting in chairs in a half-circle and had a chance to talk for a few minutes and then other candidates had a chance to weigh in and discuss an issue with each other.

Was this "coffee-talk" debate format used at all in US presidential debates before, or just podiums ?

This US-style podium discussion with a sound after 1 minute seems very stiff and uninteresting.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:14:23 AM »

This story seems to suggest that Anderson Cooper will aim more for "interview-style questions individually targeting each candidate", as opposed to "split screen faceoffs in which the candidates go after each other:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/11/media/anderson-cooper-democratic-debate-plan/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ah, that's what you think Anderson.  Apparently, you haven't been paying attention to Lincoln Chafee.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 08:24:57 AM »

I recently watched the Vienna state election debate and all candidates were sitting in chairs in a half-circle and had a chance to talk for a few minutes and then other candidates had a chance to weigh in and discuss an issue with each other.

Was this "coffee-talk" debate format used at all in US presidential debates before, or just podiums ?

This US-style podium discussion with a sound after 1 minute seems very stiff and uninteresting.

I know the VP debate in 2004 used that method, and, I'm sure it's been used in other statewide elections.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 08:29:09 AM »

I know the VP debate in 2004 used that method, and, I'm sure it's been used in other statewide elections.

I forget if any of the 2012 GOP primary debates were "sit down" debates.  But there were definitely a few "sit down" debates in the 2008 primaries and in earlier cycles, like 2000.  But those debates still tended to have strict time constraints on speaking, so I'm not sure if they really count as "coffee talk" debates.  The 2004 VP debate still used strict time constraints for each candidate, didn't it?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 08:29:42 AM »

Matt Yglesias raises a big question(s) about the debate: How much foreign policy will there be, and to what extent will the other candidates go after Clinton on foreign policy?:

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/13/9513369/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-foreign-policy

But I知 not sure he値l go that route.  Chafee and Webb are far more likely to play up foreign policy, but I知 not sure how much they値l single out Clinton for criticism on that score.  I guess we値l find out soon enough.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 08:51:21 AM »

Trump will live-tweet the debate:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/donald-trump-live-tweets-democratic-debate-las-vegas-214689

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 11:32:14 AM »

Crossing my fingers for that surprise Biden appearance! Otherwise it will probably be very dull.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 12:17:19 PM »

Who's excited for Lincoln Chaffee?

Didn't think so.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »

Didn't think so.

Gonna try to count how many times he attacks Hillary and then jerks back to his awkward smile.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 12:34:34 PM »

I think one of two outcomes is likely:

1. The media has already decided that Bernie Sanders is the winner, and nothing that happens will change that narrative.

2. The media has convinced themselves that Bernie Sanders will have the performance of a lifetime and destroy Clinton hands-down. When he doesn't meet this standard, no matter how well he actually does, they declare him dead in the water and Clinton the presumptive nominee.
Donnie

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »

What a pathetic lineup. A commie, a liar and 3 nobodys (up to now).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 12:42:11 PM »

Without Biden this is a snooze fest. I ain't staying up for it.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »

This image looks like they used an old picture of Clinton from 2008.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 03:25:57 PM »

Didn't think so.

Gonna try to count how many times he attacks Hillary and then jerks back to his awkward smile.
I'll take the bait. I'm a Sanders supporter, but  I am excited for Linc, and am expecting him to do well.

I expect Lincoln Chafee to surprise us by at least being competent, but I won't be surprised if my prediction proves to be incorrect as he's a wild card.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 03:27:35 PM »

The candidate I am most interested in is Lincoln Chaffee. I'm not kidding.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 03:47:48 PM »

I think O'Malley will do very well in this debate, I think he will be going after Bernie's base and playing up his progressive record as Gov. 'I'm a doer  not a talker' is what he will essentially play up the entire debate in contrast with Clinton/Sanders. Chafee/Webb will go after Hillary the most, on foreign policy and Chafee has also talked a bit about her scandals so he may mention that. Team Hillary may be so focused on Sanders though they might be unprepared for Chafee/Webb attacking her in the debate and she might be caught off guard.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 04:08:45 PM »

I'm expecting Clinton to be taken off guard by Webb/Chafee/O'Malley because she didn't prep for them, I expect Sanders not to do as well as everyone is making him out to be. I think after this debate the polls will not change much if at all and then Webb, Chafee and O'Malley fade into the sunset. Maybe Webb can do well since I'm rooting for him.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »

I'm expecting Clinton to be taken off guard by Webb/Chafee/O'Malley because she didn't prep for them, I expect Sanders not to do as well as everyone is making him out to be. I think after this debate the polls will not change much if at all and then Webb, Chafee and O'Malley fade into the sunset. Maybe Webb can do well since I'm rooting for him.

Exactly, I've heard so much about how she's preparing for Sanders in debate prep but nothing about either Chafee or Webb. They are mostly coming from her right flank on domestic issues and left flank on foreign policy while she's trying to shore up progressive support against Sanders.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »

The media is Talking Clinton/Sanders but there is no way she is ignoring the others. She had to debate with longshots in 2008 like Biden and Dodd who often did very well in debates.

That being said its likely the toughest stuff for her will come from the moderators
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »

The media is Talking Clinton/Sanders but there is no way she is ignoring the others. She had to debate with longshots in 2008 like Biden and Dodd who often did very well in debates.

Yeah but then again we won't know until we get to the debate. I just wish the media would stop saying this is a Sanders v Clinton debate, yes Chafee/Webb/O'Malley together are polling far under 5% but they are still candidate none the less.
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 04:43:19 PM »

Yeah but then again we won't know until we get to the debate. I just wish the media would stop saying this is a Sanders v Clinton debate, yes Chafee/Webb/O'Malley together are polling far under 5% but they are still candidate none the less.

The media's only focused on people they think could win the nomination. It's why they practically ignored Sanders altogether until he started gaining serious momentum in the polls.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »

Anyone think that Chafee, O'Malley, Webb will get any serious speaking time?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies