Presidential Debates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:08:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presidential Debates
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Debates  (Read 1097 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2005, 07:07:34 AM »

I suppose we better organise some debates at some point. When we have our VPs announced, they will probably want to debate also.

Personally I was thinking towards the end of this month, maybe one beginning 26 May, and then another in early June for the Presidential.

We will also need a moderator: Personally I nominate Ernest for the job since I think he's widely regarded as being able to be fair and impartial.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 10:27:40 AM »

I think either Ernest or Joe Republic would be great to moderate the debates.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 10:38:40 AM »

I'd be able to participate in a debate from May 26th - May 27th. The weekend following is Memorial Day Weekend here in the U.S. which equals the unofficial start to summer which equals this Presidential candidate will be down the shore.  Smiley  An early June debate should be fine, too.

Then again, maybe none of this post will matter. If I do not receive the ACA nomination at our convention, I will not be in the race.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 01:18:34 PM »

What format are you looking for in debates?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 02:18:12 PM »

What format are you looking for in debates?
I would imagine that a question-response-six rebuttals format wouldn't work too well. Might I suggest a simple question-responses format?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 02:34:42 PM »

I am willing to moderate.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 02:38:42 PM »

We could always have different moderators for different debates - Ernest for one, Ford for another, etc.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 02:54:37 PM »

Given the size of the field, how about the following?

Two seperate debates, one for the left and one for the right starting on May 26, with candidates allowed to choose which one of the two debates they are in.

Then two more simultaneous debates starting June 9, with the top 3 candidates (as determined by poll) in one debate and the others in the other?

This would keep the debate groups small enough to allow for candidate interaction.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 03:41:30 PM »

Two seperate debates, one for the left and one for the right starting on May 26, with candidates allowed to choose which one of the two debates they are in.
I like this idea. It would be even more interesting to have a leftist conducting the "right" debate and a rightist doing the "left" debate.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Classifying some candidates as "top" candidates would, in my opinion, unfairly damage the candidacies of the others.

Instead, may I propose a random distribution of candidates?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 03:45:03 PM »

That wouldn't work, with the right and left. Who is the left? Peter and who? Dibble is far-right econimically and King is a centrist.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 03:51:22 PM »

That wouldn't work, with the right and left. Who is the left? Peter and who? Dibble is far-right econimically and King is a centrist.
Good point. Perhaps we should have two debates, each with an assortment of leftist, rightist, and centrist/other candidates, to make the arguments much more interesting. For example:

Debate 1
StatesRights
Bell
King
Phil

Debate 2
Hobbes
Supersoulty
Dibble

Alternatively, the candidates could simply be randomly distributed.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »

Good point. Perhaps we should have two debates, each with an assortment of leftist, rightist, and centrist/other candidates, to make the arguments much more interesting. For example:

Debate 1
StatesRights
Bell
King
Phil

Debate 2
Hobbes
Supersoulty
Dibble

Alternatively, the candidates could simply be randomly distributed.

That's a bit too random for my tastes. The fairest way to do it is have at least one debate with everyone in it.

If we want to split up the candidates later, that's fine, but the first debate needs everyone. I also don't want to base anything off poll numbers for choosing who debates in a "top-level" debate, since the debates should be shaping the polls and not vice-versa. 

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 05:31:09 PM »

How about we base debate participation on a poll?  Debate 1 will have all 8 candidates, Debate 2 will have the top 5 finishers in a simple poll, and D3 will be just the two big contenders.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 05:34:00 PM »

How about we base debate participation on a poll?  Debate 1 will have all 8 candidates, Debate 2 will have the top 5 finishers in a simple poll, and D3 will be just the two big contenders.
I thought there were only 7 candidates (Bell, Hobbes, King, Supersoulty, States, Dibble, Phil). Whom did I miss?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2005, 06:13:42 PM »

I thought there were only 7 candidates (Bell, Hobbes, King, Supersoulty, States, Dibble, Phil). Whom did I miss?

My mistake...
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 06:18:34 PM »

That’s why I proposed that the choice of which debate, left or right, be the candidate’s to make.  The very act of making that choice should help to illuminate what the candidate thinks of his own views.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 08:28:11 PM »

Well it is my personal believe that we should have at least one debate with all candidates. We were able to accomplish this in October I don't see how we can't accomplish it now.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 06:47:09 AM »

I am in favour of at least one and preferably two all candidates debate.

My preferred format would be something like this:

Ernest asks one general question to all candidates.

Ernest then asks two questions to each candidate - Whilst he's obviously free to ask whatever questions he likes, I suggest he uses suggestions from the public.

Candidates then get to ask two questions of two other candidates; They can reference anything from the debate or elsewhere in this.

Ernest then finishes with one general question and closing statements.

Ernest might need to proactively moderate to keep this structure solid however.
skybridge
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 05:01:46 PM »

It doesn't matter too much. The latest polls all show skybridge winning in a landslide.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 07:25:29 PM »

Are any of the other candidates interested in a debate other than myself, Phil and King?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 08:15:19 PM »

Since I am a Vice Presidential candidate, I have decided that it wouldn't be proper for me to moderate the Presidential debates.  Therefore, I will of course hold one starting on the 26th.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies