Maryland: Hillary leads comfortably
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:26:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  Maryland: Hillary leads comfortably
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maryland: Hillary leads comfortably  (Read 1263 times)
A Perez
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2015, 09:09:50 AM »

If the Democratic primary were held today, 43 percent of Maryland Democrats say they would vote for Hillary Clinton, 23 percent for Joe Biden, and 17 percent for Bernie Sanders. Mirroring nationwide polling, two percent of Maryland Democratic voters would support former Governor Martin O’Malley’s bid for the Democratic nomination.

Goucher poll.
I am too new to post links.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »

O'Malley's at 2% in his home state? Damn. Seems a bit low though.
danny
Israel

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »

Link: http://www.goucher.edu/Documents/Poli_Sci/hughes/Fall%202015%20Goucher%20Poll%20Release%20(Tuesday)%20FINAL.pdf
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »

Clinton 43%
Biden 23%
Sanders 17%
O’Malley 2%
Webb 2%
Chafee 0%
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »

O'Malley was a terrible governor no wonder he I polling so badly in his home state.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »

O'Malley was a terrible governor no wonder he I polling so badly in his home state.

Yep. More evidence of this on top of Brown losing.

Side note: We could've had three Governor Brown's if he had won in 2014! Oh well, two is good enough.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »

I'd like to see GE polling between Clinton and Carson in Maryland.
I suspect Carson would get a large percentage of the black vote.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »

Sanders in third? Deluge.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 04:52:24 PM »

O'Malley's at 2% in his home state? Damn. Seems a bit low though.

Nah, O'Malley's numbers in Maryland have always been terrible.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 05:44:29 PM »

Tons of Washington insiders, postgrad women and a likely majority-minority primary and she is only up by her national margin right now?

Why would postgrad women be stronger for Clinton than working class women?  All the polling suggests that Clinton is more "beer track" to Sanders's "wine track".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »

Weird that O'Malley is doing worse here than Iowa.

Not that odd. Biden has taken Amtrak through Maryland in between DC and Delaware many thousands of times.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 06:13:35 PM »

Not that odd. Biden has taken Amtrak through Maryland in between DC and Delaware many thousands of times.

I'm actually kind of surprised why Sanders isn't stronger here. I know it has a large AA pop'n which helps Clinton and Biden, but there's the wealthier/educated white people in the DC suburbs.

And poor O'Malley.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 11:55:56 PM »

I'm actually kind of surprised why Sanders isn't stronger here. I know it has a large AA pop'n which helps Clinton and Biden, but there's the wealthier/educated white people in the DC suburbs.

And poor O'Malley.

It makes sense. The white "liberals" in the DC suburbs are not cut from the same cloth as white liberals in the rest of the country.

First, they're only "liberal" on social issues and matters of economics that ensure the continued pouring of billions of federal dollars into defense contract industries and other comparable investments within the metropolitan area (that's why they're there in the first place). Second, these white "liberals" are much wealthier on average than white liberals scattered throughout other parts of the country. Third, their communities are far more homogeneous in nature and serve to prevent their specific version of "liberalism" from being challenged in any way whatsoever.

They don't want the economic boat rocked in any way whatsoever. Perhaps I shouldn't use the scare quotes around "liberal" here, for they are largely the original definition of the word. Cross over to Virginia and this same group would almost certainly deliver VA to any Republican not named Trump against Bernie Sanders. They're not liberal in the sense that they support Sanders' policies. These are the people who elected McAuliffe and Hogan, for crying out loud. Obama was a cool black man and they had something to prove. Clinton plays the same identity politics card off of which they base their "liberalism".

Sanders is downright terrifying to this crowd, and when you combine it at a statewide level (particularly in MD) with a large black population that is relatively low-information when it comes to other groups and will disproportionately vote for a candidate based on name recognition, there's nothing surprising here.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 12:18:55 AM »

And poor O'Malley.

It makes sense. The white "liberals" in the DC suburbs are not cut from the same cloth as white liberals in the rest of the country.

First, they're only "liberal" on social issues and matters of economics that ensure the continued pouring of billions of federal dollars into defense contract industries and other comparable investments within the metropolitan area (that's why they're there in the first place). Second, these white "liberals" are much wealthier on average than white liberals scattered throughout other parts of the country. Third, their communities are far more homogeneous in nature and serve to prevent their specific version of "liberalism" from being challenged in any way whatsoever.

They don't want the economic boat rocked in any way whatsoever. Perhaps I shouldn't use the scare quotes around "liberal" here, for they are largely the original definition of the word. Cross over to Virginia and this same group would almost certainly deliver VA to any Republican not named Trump against Bernie Sanders. They're not liberal in the sense that they support Sanders' policies. These are the people who elected McAuliffe and Hogan, for crying out loud. Obama was a cool black man and they had something to prove. Clinton plays the same identity politics card off of which they base their "liberalism".

Sanders is downright terrifying to this crowd, and when you combine it at a statewide level (particularly in MD) with a large black population that is relatively low-information when it comes to other groups and will disproportionately vote for a candidate based on name recognition, there's nothing surprising here.

While he got better margins here (Montgomery County) than Ehrlich/Romney/McCain, it was really the Baltimore Suburbs that overwhelmingly elected Hogan.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies