British States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:44:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  British States
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: British States  (Read 13867 times)
Polkergeist

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2004, 04:32:07 AM »

Part III...

February 3rd 1968

Canadian Prime Minister, Lester B. Pearson, narrowly survives an assaination attempt by Quebec seperatists as he left Parliament Hill at 5 AM.
Pearson had initially been sceptical about the "Atlantic Plan", but changes his mind at some point in hospital.

February 4th 1968

Harold Wilson endorses Robert Kennedy's Presidential bid.
An opinion poll shows over 70% of the Canadian public is now in favour of Union with the United States of the Atlantic.

February 5th 1968

In a televised speech to the House of Commons, Pearson announces that a vote on joining the United States will by held on the February 12th.
The vote has to pass the Federal Parliament aand 2/3rd's of provincial assemblies.
The bulk of the Liberal party is in favour of the Union, the Progressive Conservative party is broadly in favour, the NDP announces that it wishes it's MP's/MLA's to abstain, Social Credit is in favour.
In Quebec, the ruling Union Nationale is strongly opposed to the Union while the opposition Liberals are strongly in favour. The leader of the newly formed Parti Québécois, René Lévesque, claims that an independent Quebec is the only answer... and when pressed by journalists on the possible union with the US, he refuses to comment.

---end of part III---

It looks like Quebec may not make it into the US?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2004, 04:35:08 AM »

It depends whether or not a 2/3rd's majority of all the provincial assemblies (including Quebec) vote for it, according to the rules Pearson set up on the 5th of February.
Polkergeist

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2004, 04:46:21 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2004, 04:50:32 AM by Polkergeist »

Ideas for Part Three...

1) Does RFK win the Democrat nomination?
2) Who wins in the GOP dogfight?
3) Will Wilson be chosen as the Democrat VP? (I'm thinking yes, as if RFK wins the primary, then the general and is then shot (he's a Kennedy dammit!) I could then do Wilson's sudden resignation...)
4) When does the Wallace-Powell ticket start?
5) Could someone give me a Scottish Labour politician from the '60's/70's who can knock off Home? This is important.
6) Race riots?
7) The Troubles? Or not?

1) He is the absolute front runner, I only put in Connally to show that there was southern discontentment as in OTL with the Democrats.

2)This one I'm in two minds, Rockefeller maybe because Goldwater was a disaster in 1964 and the GOP may be tempted to switch back to the moderate wing to give themseleves a chance. But Reagan as a historical figure is just too good to miss

3)Maybe... yeah.... OK. with the new expanded US there will need to be a British face on the ticket. But is ol' Harold electable in the US? As for RFK being shot  I'll think about it after the '68 election

4) Whenever Enoch Powell gives his rivers of blood speech then the ticket will get rolling.

6) In this TL race riots are still happening in America (i.e. Watts 1965) so with now more exposure due both sides of the pond being in the same media loop the UK could experience worse race riots.

7)Well as I understand it in 1968 the catholics in NI were discriminated against with less votes (something to do with 1 vote per household?)and segregation. I was thinking that the Catholics in NI could start a US Supreme Ct case that comes down in favour of them and this starts the ball rolling in NI.

BTW I've done some numbers, are these OK with you:
British Isles electoral votes '68
Anglia 42
Wessex 11
Mercia 26
Northumberland 36
Wales 9
Scotland 15
Ulster 6
Ireland 9
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2004, 05:05:02 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2004, 05:17:09 AM by Al »

1) He is the absolute front runner, I only put in Connally to show that there was southern discontentment as in OTL with the Democrats.

Agreed

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think a really, really close primary is needed... decided by one state perhaps?

How could a pipe-puffing folksy (in public) Yorkshireman not be electable? Wink
The Wilson resignation has to come in somewhere though... maybe RFK has to resign because of a scandel?

How does the 3rd of June 1968 sound?

O.K
Which area goes up in flames first? Brixton or Bermondsey?

Good idea

Excellent!
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2004, 05:12:23 AM »

Brixton first obviously Al Wink. Was Farakhan (sp?) active then?
Polkergeist

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2004, 05:16:53 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2004, 05:19:35 AM by Polkergeist »

I think a really, really close primary is needed... decided by one state perhaps?

Well when nation can't make up its mind that usually what happens. Also in 1968 there weren't too many primaries only 15 I think. So it may be decided at the convention. BTW What do you think about British primaries?

How could a pipe-puffing avuncualar folksy (in public) Yorkshireman not be electable? Wink
The Wilson resignation has to come in somewhere though... maybe RFK has to resign because of a scandel?[/quote]

Teddy Kennedy had that car crash into a lake in '70. Any hint of White House interference with the investigation and there will be trouble.

How does the 3rd of June 1968 sound?[/quote]

Perfect

O.K
Which area goes up in flames first? Brixton or Bermondsey?[/quote]

Al, you decide Smiley

Good idea
[/quote]

It's in the can
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2004, 05:21:01 AM »

Well when nation can't make up its mind that usually what happens. Also in 1968 there weren't too many primaries only 15 I think. So it may be decided at the convention.

Decided at the convention sounds good.

Northumbria and Wales would probably have caucus's...
Rockefeller would do better in the British primaries than Reagan.

Sounds good
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2004, 05:22:18 AM »

I think a riot in Brixton trigged by the Rivers of Blood speech and/or a visit by George Wallace, which leads to a worse riot in Bermondsey.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2004, 05:25:25 AM »

I think a riot in Brixton trigged by the Rivers of Blood speech and/or a visit by George Wallace, which leads to a worse riot in Bermondsey.

Al, what about Louis Farrakhan, surely he would stir up trouble?
Polkergeist

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2004, 05:28:40 AM »

What about Black Panthers ?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2004, 05:33:26 AM »

Why not all of them at the same time?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2004, 05:35:21 AM »

As I recall, at the time Louis Farrakhan was actually IN Brixton, wasn't he kicked out of the USA?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2004, 05:41:20 AM »

As I recall, at the time Louis Farrakhan was actually IN Brixton, wasn't he kicked out of the USA?

Hmmm... how about this (please note it's only version 1) :

Powell makes speech
              |
Wallace visits the U.K and asks if Powell will be his running mate
              |
Powell accepts
              |
Farrakhan incites a crowd to riot in Brixton
              |
Farrakhan is shot dead
              |
More riots in Brixton
              |
Wallace-Powell visit Bermondsey
              |
Riots in Bermondsey. 12 police officers killed.
Polkergeist

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2004, 05:46:17 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2004, 05:46:47 AM by Polkergeist »

Thats a good sketch. However where is Powell going to give his speech as there is no UK Parliament in this TL. He could give it in a state legislature I guess
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2004, 05:52:02 AM »

Thats a good sketch. However where is Powell going to give his speech as there is no UK Parliament in this TL. He could give it in a state legislature I guess

He could give it at a rally in Brixton... or the Mercia state legislature.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2004, 06:00:37 AM »

Sounds good Al.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2004, 05:00:30 PM »

If Powell is making a political speech, then the rally at Brixton seems a more likely location than the chamber of a legislature.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2004, 09:15:41 AM »

If Powell is making a political speech, then the rally at Brixton seems a more likely location than the chamber of a legislature.

Good point. Thanks!
Polkergeist

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2004, 09:24:36 AM »

Part three later Smiley (If someone could write this from a US perspective....)

Hughento, that could take a while as the TL is currently in 1968, so don't hold your breath. However what you have written is a good TL in its own right. Smiley
Polkergeist

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2004, 10:11:53 AM »

Part 4: Nomination & Canada.

With both major parties contests for the nomination, the campaign goes into full swing in New Hampshire in anticipation of the primary in that state on March 12. Both races are keenly fought especially the Republican race as there is no clear frontrunner.

The Parliaments of Canada both Federal and Provincial undertook a historic vote on Febuary 12 on whether to acceed to the United States. After passionate debate about Canada's past, present and future, the political consensus won out that Canada's successful trading future lay with customs free access to the North Atlantic Union that was now emerging.

The federal parliament and all provincial parliaments except Quebec vote to join the US. This easily passes the 2/3rds required for the vote to succeed. Negotiations begin with US Presidnetial envoy Hubert Humphrey over transition arrangements. However Quebec's parliament  does not vote on accession to the union, but rather votes to affirm the soverignty of the proivnce of Quebec. this is widely seen by political pundits as  a desire by the Provincal government to negotiate its own terms of union with the US.

While the economic and geo-political argument on admission to the US was accepted by the Canadian public there was still much public fear that with accession to the United States would threaten Canada's distinct culture on the North American continent.

After weeks of Campagining the Primary elections took place.In New Hampshire.........

Democrat
Robert Kennedy 74%
John Connally: 21%
Uncomitted: 5%  

Republican
Nelson Rockefeller 53%
Ronald Reagan 47%

The results confirmed RFK's hold on the American public (at least the liberal side of it). However for the GOP nomination, Ronald Reagan suprised many by coming close to carrying the New England state which many considered safe territory for GOP's Eastern Liberals and made Reagan a serious contender for the presidency.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2004, 10:32:01 AM »

Results of the Provincial votes:

Nwfld-Lab: YES
PEI: YES
Nova Scotia: YES
NB: YES (by 3 votes. The support of the Acadian MLA's swung it to the YES side)
Quebec: NO (Both the Liberals and (suprisingly) the PQ voted YES, however the Union National still has a majority in the Assembly so NO won. The vote of sovereignty was opposed by 10 Anglophone deputies from West Island Montreal) but supported by the rest of the Assembly. The result has caused riots on the streets as Union with the US was strongly supported by a majority of Quebeckers (states rights in the U.S are stronger than provincial rights in the former dominion of Canada. This appears to be the reason why the PQ backed the Union).
Ontario: YES
Manitoba: YES
Saskatchewan: YES
Alberta: YES
BC: YES
Polkergeist

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2004, 11:27:51 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2004, 11:37:15 AM by Polkergeist »

Part 5: The antipodes and Primaries

The next set of primaries was set of Wisconsin on April 2. The media had now gotten on the 'Gipper' express as the campaign tour bus cricrossed the state. Media polls had Reagan in front by double digits. His new momentum and folksy charm gave Reagan his lead.
On the Democrat side John Connally withdrew from campaigning actively in Wisconsin to concentrate on doing well in Pennsylvania on April 23.

Meanwhile in Canada, negotiations on transition arrangements had been completed with the federal Government. Individual statehood would be granted to all provinces except for Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island which would be federated together as one state. the name of the state is currently slated as Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island however this is set ot be changed by the new state legislature when it comes into effect. Admission of the new states is set down to occur on July 1 1968.

However the government of the province of Quebec is still holding out for special negotiations with the US. President Kennedy is inclined to intervene but is warned off it by the outgoing Canadian federal government.

However the Province itself is in a state of civil disturbance as populist pro-union supporters riot. Sporadic clashes with police have continued from mid-February until March 16 when the provincial government sets a March 31 deadline for the US to start direct talks with provincial government, if talks do not start by then, Quebec will go it alone. When violence flares up again as a result of the ultimatium, the provincial government responds heavy handedly killing several rioters. With events on the streets spiraling out of control a group of UN MP's defect to BQ on March 18 causing the government to lose its majority. The Liberals and BQ form an emergency coalition and accept the statehood terms negotated in Ottawa.

Despte trailing Reagan by 12 points in Wisconsin in the aftermath of NH, Nelson Rockefeller campaigned hard through out the state in an attempt tom quickly make up the difference. Rocky played on WI history as a progressive state and conrasted Reagan's new right credentials with the state progressive roots. The stragey worked with Rockfeller barnstorming the state and making up the deficit hoever on election day the race was too close too call. When the results came in that Tuesday night:

Republican
Nelson Rockefeller 51.3 %
Ronald Reagan 48.5%
Uncommitted  0.2%

Democrat
Robert Kennedy 64%
Uncommitted 24%
John Connally 12%

The Rockefeller win had kept him in the race however his crtiics claimed that Rocky only won with the help of croos-over Progessive Democrats which had no great importance in an effective uncontested primary.

With the Quebec situation resolved negotiations in Australia and New Zealand make progress after being bogged down in Australian constitutional technicalities. Both national governments are worried about the distance between themselves and Washington. Robert MacNamara offer to give Canberra capitol status to ease such worries. The New Zealand Government informs Ted Kennedy that NZ statehood is conditional on Australia also joining the union. Negotations look likely to collapse on April 3 when Indonesia explodes its first atomic bomb.......

Part 6 later

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2004, 12:35:20 PM »

March-April 1968:

Canada

The New Democratic Party (all branches) agrees to merge with the Democratic Party, as does the Liberal Party except for the Saskatchewan Liberal Party, which merges with the Republicans.
The Progressive Conservatives merge with the Republican Party as does all branches of Social Credit.
In Quebec, the Liberals merge with the Democrats, as does the PQ (however René Lévesque announces that a "Bloc Quebecois" will be formed. He says that they will work inside the Democratic Party, with the aim of getting more sovereignty for Quebec as time passes).
The UN is to join the Republicans.

Meanwhile, PEI Premier, Alexander B. Campbell, gives in to Nova Scotia Premier, George I. Smith, and accepts that the new state will be called Nova Scotia, however he also announces his intention to run against Smith in November.
Meanwhile in Quebec the rioting stops shortly after former Premier, Jean Lesage is sworn in as acting Governer.

All Premiers re-name themselves Governers. They are:

Alberta: Ernest C. Manning, R (not seeking re-election)
British Columbia: W.A.C. Bennett, R
Manitoba: Walter Weir, R
New Brunswick: Louis J. Robichaud, D
Newfoundland: Joseph R. Smallwood, D
Nova Scotia: George I. Smith, R
Ontario: John Robarts, R
Quebec: Jean Lesage, D (acting Governer. not seeking re-election)
Saskatchewan: Ross Thatcher, R
all provinces except Ontario and Quebec will have 2-year terms.

Britain

Rockefeller is endorsed by Heath and wins the Anglia primary.
Rockefeller: 60%
Reagan: 40%
Polkergeist

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2004, 07:28:14 PM »

Hey Al,
I'm doing the maps for this TL and for the states of England I'm using the following regions as the borders of the states. Tell me if I need to make changes

Wessex: South-west
Anglia: South-east, London
Midlands: East Midlands, West Midlands, East Anglia
Northumberland: Yorkshire and humber, North west and North.

I used this map for the regions:
http://www.graphicmaps.com/webimage/countrys/europe/special/ukreg.htm
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2004, 07:59:11 PM »

March-April 1968:
The UN is to join the Republicans.

That just looks so funny Smiley

Anyway, excellent, superfuntabulous, splendid timeline Smiley