Is diesel doomed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:46:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is diesel doomed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is diesel doomed?  (Read 423 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:18:09 AM »

So, the Volkswagen affair continues to drag down that company's stocks, and it begins to look very, very serious for VW. I presume the corporate execs will be fined a little, and the blameless workers get the crap dropped on them; but this scandal seems bigger than one company. Is it the end of the road for diesel? Diesel, although basically a niche in America, is very popular in Europe helped by generous subsidies throughout the continent (helped by generous lobbying from companies like, erm, VW) - efficient and supposedly low carbon, they quickly became more and more ubiquitous on the roads. But even before the scandal, local governments, greens and their allies and urbanites began to rebel against the dirty fuel. Quickly, the car companies of Germany rushed to lobby the EU, national governments and local municipalities to drop or limit plans to limit or even ban diesels. They also began to pour money into an international effort to normalise the fuel, even as American and Japanese automakers began to invest in alternative low carbon cars (including that forever dream, the electric car). And now ... the technology that the Germans had put all their faith in is being trashed, the richest pro-diesel company will have to shed a huge amount of capital in fines, lawsuits, recalls and lost sales and diesel has never looked weaker.

What do you guys think?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 11:21:01 AM »

The European transport sector is so dependent on diesel that I cannot see an enormous transition taking place soon. It is likely that fewer people will be driving on diesel in 2050, so in that sense diesel is certainly doomed, but I don't expect a sudden significant change, since that would simply be too costly.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 11:37:42 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 11:48:17 AM by Crab »

Well, I think the diesel boom amongst passenger cars was largely government created tbh. As governments worldwide are dumping direct subsidies for fossil fuels, I think diesel will be squeezed in between dependable old petrol and the sudden rush of cheaper electrics/hybrids that look set to be released in the latter half of this decade. I think diesel will remain a fuel for large vehicles - trucks etc. (although I think public transport will worm itself off the fuel) - but I can't see much of a future for the "clean" diesel automobile, especially if planned bans come in effect in London, Paris etc. This is the perfect time for anti-diesel people to swoop, as the big boy of the fuel is distracted and humiliated and other players are keeping their heads low.
Untergang des Abendlandes
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 04:54:08 PM »

Diesel will rise again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies