Santorum is toast
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:47:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Santorum is toast
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Santorum is toast  (Read 13312 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2005, 01:46:25 PM »

Wouldn't doing that also free up more money/resources for his own re-election bid?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2005, 02:44:21 PM »

If I were him I'd just appoint Hoeffel.
danwxman

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2005, 02:46:22 PM »

I think there is a distinct possibility Pennsylvania may go from having two Republican senators to two Democrat senators by 2010.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2005, 03:02:55 PM »

If I were him I'd just appoint Hoeffel.

They're not that close.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2005, 05:04:51 PM »

I think there is a distinct possibility Pennsylvania may go from having two Republican senators to two Democrat senators by 2010.

ALLYSON SCHWARTZ 2010!!!!!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2005, 05:11:24 PM »

You really are crazy if you think she can win. We're not talking about SE PA, Flyers. This is a statewide office. She win not get to the U.S. Senate.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2005, 05:16:07 PM »

You really are crazy if you think she can win. We're not talking about SE PA, Flyers. This is a statewide office. She win not get to the U.S. Senate.

And neither would Pat Toomey.  I mean come on you REALLY thought if Toomey beat Specter, he would win statewide? 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2005, 05:30:56 PM »

And neither would Pat Toomey.  I mean come on you REALLY thought if Toomey beat Specter, he would win statewide? 

Yes, I do. Main reason why Toomey didn't beat Specter: Bush and Santorum's support of Specter. If Specter didn't have them, Toomey would have won by about six points.

Statewide in a General, yes, he can win. When it comes down to picking between a conservative like Toomey and a liberal like Schwartz, Toomey wins. Toomey would hammer her on social issues like there's no tomorrow. We'll see this in 2010 when I honestly believe we'll have a Toomey-Schwartz matchup.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2005, 05:34:47 PM »

Toomey would hammer her on social issues like there's no tomorrow.

Ask Melissa Brown who did the same thing.  See what happened to her.  Schwartz is a political survivor.  I underestimated her against Joe Torsella AND even voted for him.  I hope Toomey does the same things as Melissa Brown in that case.  He'll get beat!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2005, 05:38:04 PM »

Toomey would hammer her on social issues like there's no tomorrow.

Ask Melissa Brown who did the same thing.  See what happened to her.  Schwartz is a political survivor.  I underestimated her against Joe Torsella AND even voted for him.  I hope Toomey does the same things as Melissa Brown in that case.  He'll get beat!

But this isn't just SE PA, Flyers. We're talking statewide.

Anyway, Brown didn't hit Schwartz on social issues. There was no focus, no message of that campaign. It was a mess. Toomey knows how to put up a fight. He fought the entire GOP establishment including the President and Santorum. He now has a following. He has the power. Schwartz has her money but so will Toomey in 2010.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2005, 08:51:03 PM »

Im going to have to agree with keystonePhil (believe it or not) when he says that Schwartz will never be senator. she only appeals to the urban citizens, and theres alot more than just big cities in PA. I think that if Rendell doesn't go for the presidency, he might give the senate seat a go in 2010, both of the options being disasaters for Rendell, wether he wants to admit it or not. I think the dems may end up scrambling for a candidate in 2010, but if they get a guy thats conservative enough that he could attack Specter weakness (abortion) among conservatives, they still have a chance at picking up that seat in 2010.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2005, 09:11:32 PM »

Im going to have to agree with keystonePhil (believe it or not) when he says that Schwartz will never be senator.

Thank you. She'd be good for raising money but the GOP will be able to raise a good amount of money against her. Other than fundraising, she'd be a total disaster for the Dems which means I can't wait until you guys nominate her.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2005, 08:05:51 PM »

Im going to have to agree with keystonePhil (believe it or not) when he says that Schwartz will never be senator.

Thank you. She'd be good for raising money but the GOP will be able to raise a good amount of money against her. Other than fundraising, she'd be a total disaster for the Dems which means I can't wait until you guys nominate her.

Haha, phil. I'll do everything in my power to ensure that Schwartz doesn't win that nomination. As of this moment, i'm endorsing MY representive, Tim Holden, for the spot, despite his many conservative views.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2005, 08:36:20 PM »

Haha, phil. I'll do everything in my power to ensure that Schwartz doesn't win that nomination. As of this moment, i'm endorsing MY representive, Tim Holden, for the spot, despite his many conservative views.

Now there's a PA Democrat that I wouldn't mind to see as Senator. Sure I'd support Toomey or another conservative Republican in 2010 but Holden would be ok in my book. However, I really don't see him running for the seat.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2005, 01:16:33 AM »

Holden???  NO WAY IN HELL!!!  Sure, he'd win, but he is pretty much a Republican-lite.  I'd rather take my chances with Schwartz.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2005, 09:46:54 AM »

I think Schwartz would have a chance to win in 2010, but if Specter resigns, I'd bet that Rendell would give the seat to Hafer who will run on her own.  As far as Holden, I'd love to see him run, but there's no reason he should leave a safe House seat that is almost certain to flip to the GOP if he resigns for a shot at a Senate seat.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2005, 05:53:04 PM »

Now there's a PA Democrat that I wouldn't mind to see as Senator. Sure I'd support Toomey or another conservative Republican in 2010 but Holden would be ok in my book. However, I really don't see him running for the seat.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's a shame too because he could untie both parties because he has bi-partisan support.
Holden??? NO WAY IN HELL!!! Sure, he'd win, but he is pretty much a Republican-lite. I'd rather take my chances with Schwartz.

C'mon, he's not THAT bad. Besides, like I said, at least it would representing most of the views of PA by being a conservative Democrat. And as far as im concerened, i'd like to take that senate seat now, even if it is Holden, in hopes that we can keep until the next election for senate when we can put up someone better. That way, we have incumbent advantage.

I think Schwartz would have a chance to win in 2010, but if Specter resigns, I'd bet that Rendell would give the seat to Hafer who will run on her own. As far as Holden, I'd love to see him run, but there's no reason he should leave a safe House seat that is almost certain to flip to the GOP if he resigns for a shot at a Senate seat.

That would be really good. I'd like to see Hafer in the senate. I don't know if its possible, but i think it would more fair for Rendell to hold a special election, i know that it wouldn't happen whether he could or not, but the way i see it, like it or not (which i dont), the people of PA elected a republican to the senate. I dont think its fair for Rendell to just say, "Well, you voted in a Rep., but too bad, you're now represented by a Dem." That is simply not fair to the people.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2005, 05:56:41 PM »

That would be really good. I'd like to see Hafer in the senate. I don't know if its possible, but i think it would more fair for Rendell to hold a special election, i know that it wouldn't happen whether he could or not, but the way i see it, like it or not (which i dont), the people of PA elected a republican to the senate. I dont think its fair for Rendell to just say, "Well, you voted in a Rep., but too bad, you're now represented by a Dem." That is simply not fair to the people.

A special election would be necessary and Hafer would lose.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2005, 05:58:29 PM »

A special election would be necessary.

It would be necessary? Well thats good. That makes my day. Thank you, KeystonePhil.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2005, 06:13:15 PM »

It's held at the next Congressional Election if I recall. Sp if Specter were to resign before Fall 2006, we would have two senate races Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2005, 06:18:34 PM »

It's held at the next Congressional Election if I recall. Sp if Specter were to resign before Fall 2006, we would have two senate races Smiley

That is just what Pennsylvania needs, more partisan elections!  Tongue
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2005, 07:04:23 PM »

"Toast" is a little strong.... 2 years is about 6 lifetimes in politics.

"Vulnerable" => "Yes"

"Toast" => "We'll see". Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2005, 07:15:05 PM »

I apoligize to Phil if he's already answered this.

You talk about Toomey hitting Schwartz with social issues and how it would result in a Toomey win, yet that was basically what happened in 2004, Bush hitting Kerry on social issues, yet Kerry won PA. How is Toomey better than Bush and Schwartz worse than Kerry?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2005, 07:31:32 PM »

I apoligize to Phil if he's already answered this.

You talk about Toomey hitting Schwartz with social issues and how it would result in a Toomey win, yet that was basically what happened in 2004, Bush hitting Kerry on social issues, yet Kerry won PA. How is Toomey better than Bush and Schwartz worse than Kerry?

I've explained the Kerry win so many times. It boils down to partisanship when it comes to national races.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2005, 09:31:26 PM »

I don't live in or anywhere near Pennsylvania, so I can't really judge first-hand how the people are reacting to Santorum, but I do think he is a very good Senator and sincerely hope he is re-elected for another term.  He seems to be a man with a good head on his shoulders.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies