Should golf be banned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:28:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should golf be banned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

Yes, ASAP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Should golf be banned?  (Read 2839 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:49:48 PM »

What a worthless sport.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »

Reported for trolling.  Modz please ban.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:10:36 PM »

Reported for trolling.  Modz please ban.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »

WI: Ban it, pronto.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 11:13:51 PM »

People that want to ban things they don't like should be banned.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 11:42:05 PM »

The real "trolling" is that of the golf courses, which are massive wastes of land and water.  Convert them into something useful: forests, botanical gardens, public housing, something, anything.  One aspect of Obama's presidency I find least tasteful is his constant indulgence in this elitist pastime.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 11:53:22 PM »

Soak the rich and drench 'em dry!
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 12:48:32 AM »

As someone living in an area directly affected by the California drought, absolutely. I'd rather not jeopardize access to drinking water for the everyday person so that the upper class can overuse water for no reason whatsoever.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 04:53:39 AM »

The real "trolling" is that of the golf courses, which are massive wastes of land and water.  Convert them into something useful: forests, botanical gardens, public housing, something, anything.  One aspect of Obama's presidency I find least tasteful is his constant indulgence in this elitist pastime.

Um, not all the people who play golf are wealthy. Besides, Golf courses are useful - they provide a place to play a fine sport, and are beautiful in their own right.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 05:25:05 AM »

Um, not all the people who play golf are wealthy. Besides, Golf courses are useful - they provide a place to play a fine sport, and are beautiful in their own right.

Leftists have this weird thing about golf.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 05:33:47 AM »

I know aesthetic taste is subjective but really?

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 05:35:34 AM »

They take up valuable space that could otherwise be build on or (preferably from my POV) be left as actual nature accessible to the public + they often require watering when placed in dry areas. The sport requiring such large (and sealed off) areas contributes to its unpopularity.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »

This is the most ridiculous thread, that i've ever seen.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 05:47:23 AM »

Yes, ASAP.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 06:18:49 AM »

But if you try and end govt subsidies of opera some of them freak the funk out.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 06:36:01 AM »

Being DWTL's favorite passtime, absolutely.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 06:48:49 AM »

[citation needed]
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 06:52:50 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2015, 10:22:57 AM by politicus »

Global Anti-Golf Movement manifesto:

www.antigolf.org

"1. An immediate moratorium on all golf course development.

2. An open and public environmental and social review/audit of existing golf courses.

3. Existing golf courses should be converted to public parks, and where they lie in forest areas, wetlands and islands, there should be rehabilitation and regeneration of the land to its natural state.

4. Investigations into illegalities in the golf industry, including illegal occupation of public lands and encroachment into protected forests, diversion of water, violation and evasion of corporate regulations. We call on governments to prosecute the violators.

5. Laws should be passed to prohibit the advertising and promotion of golf courses and golf tourism.

6. Overseas development assistance, from countries including Japan Australia and European public founds should not be used for the promotion of golf courses and golf tourism or the construction of infrastructure related to such development."
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 06:59:18 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2015, 07:03:20 AM by politicus »

Not sure who those guys are, but I like their manifesto as well as using the acronym GAG'M.

EDIT: Well, they seem to have changed that to GAM, which seems a bit weak sauce, but still FFs.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 08:47:50 AM »

[citation needed]
Do you think it's righties that keep opera subsidized?

There is some (admittedly mild) freaking out in this thread.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 09:11:53 AM »

ITT: Jeremy Corbyn posting threads on Atlas.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 09:13:06 AM »

[citation needed]
Do you think it's righties that keep opera subsidized?

There is some (admittedly mild) freaking out in this thread.

Given the sort of people who attend opera, yes, yes I do.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »

Yeah, it's mainly Gustaf in that thread who is pushing especially hard for opera funding.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 11:02:42 AM »

Perhaps "opera" is too specific.  Would you say that most self described lefties would want to defund subsidies to arts that are primarily enjoyed only by the elite?  As I said in the linked thread, I'm not a fan of any subsidies for the arts, but I could be persuaded to think it's ok in specific situations.  And that's not to say I think PBS or NPR should be cut off, I enjoy both and think they preform a valuable service (too much light jazz though).  But helping to keep an old ballet afloat so the local 1% can act like they're cultured is a waste of funds IMHO.  Seems giving the money to the local urban Saturday afternoon musical outreach program (or whatever) would be a better use.

And I also don't want to ban anything, that's rude.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »

You do realise that without the big performing arts organisations there isn't any point in having performing arts outreach programmes? Why teach someone to act or dance or play the cello if they never have the chance to actually use their talent?

But I'm not sure what this has to do with golf.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies