Nomination of Blair as Secretary of Home Affairs. (FINAL VOTE)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:14:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Nomination of Blair as Secretary of Home Affairs. (FINAL VOTE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nomination of Blair as Secretary of Home Affairs. (FINAL VOTE)  (Read 1692 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
« edited: September 17, 2015, 11:07:00 AM by Speaker Cris »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=208513.msg4721422#msg4721422

The Senate will be able to ask questions to Blair and then will vote to confirm he or not.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 07:05:59 PM »

First, my commendations to former Senator Blair for stepping forward in this time of need.

When you resigned from the Senate some weeks ago, you expressed your belief that the Atlasian government should be dissolved, saying "there appears to be nothing left to fight for." Do you still believe this?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:54:12 PM »

Sadly, I must say I'm very sceptical about confirming Blair, given that he had abruptly left the office and the game while Speaker of the Senate, just to move into Mock Parliament and only returned when asked by Bore to be Attorney General. I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced about him being dependable.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:59:28 AM »

Sadly, I must say I'm very sceptical about confirming Blair, given that he had abruptly left the office and the game while Speaker of the Senate, just to move into Mock Parliament and only returned when asked by Bore to be Attorney General. I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced about him being dependable.

Well, as I said at the time I'd always intended to resign from the Senate in August. I'd been serving as an elected official since January, and I needed a break. I could have served in the Senate for another month, checking it once or twice a day but I didn't feel that would be fair when they're much better candidates waiting at the time.  I resigned as Speaker because I knew that Cris would do a better job, and frankly because I wasn't enjoying it at all. I should have know after serving as Northeast Assembly Speaker but it's not a fun job in my view, and it's a job that you have to remain committed to-I would of have to be checking Atlasia everyday to update threads, I wouldn't of done this.

It was a mistake of me to de-register, but it wasn't a mistake for me to resign from the Senate.

I mean let me record speak for itself-I always prided myself on running extremely active campaigns for office often giving long policy speeches, I've served in the Northeast Assembly as Speaker, ran a national race for the Senate and impeached two figures from the administration ran by my own party, which hardly did me any favours. Sure I left for a month, but 7 months of public service should be judged for itself. Throughout that I was an active player, and the fact that I'm returning, and asked Bore if I could have the job (rather than being offered)

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 03:09:56 AM »

First, my commendations to former Senator Blair for stepping forward in this time of need.

When you resigned from the Senate some weeks ago, you expressed your belief that the Atlasian government should be dissolved, saying "there appears to be nothing left to fight for." Do you still believe this?

Naturally, as I've said since my resignation comments where made after I lost an election that quite frankly I hoped that I'd win. I'd been feeling disconnected from Atlasia for a couple of weeks, and had been having serious thoughts about quitting even before then. At that stage the constitutional convention was looking like it wasn't going to pass, the fallout from TNF's rebellion was still heavy, Griff had been banned and honestly we were in a dark place, although I should have stayed rather than quitting -as I said above to Kal I just felt like I was in such a bad place at the time that it wasn't constructive for me to stay in public office

However I honestly feel that the game has turned around since, the Presidential race has breathed some life into the race and hopefully we can get some big reforms in place. Although I'll expand on it later I've got certain thoughts about what these reforms should be
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »

However I honestly feel that the game has turned around since, the Presidential race has breathed some life into the race and hopefully we can get some big reforms in place. Although I'll expand on it later I've got certain thoughts about what these reforms should be

I do appreciate your honesty, but the fact you've abandoned the game and only came back when the others put a lot of efforts to turn it around, certainly doesn't sound good. And you've only returned to take an important position. Would you come back otherwise or participating without enjoying the government post isn't just good enough for you? How can we be sure you won't get frustrated soon and leave abruptly?

I'm sorry, man. I like you very much and have a very fond memories when we're serving together in the Senate, but some things just have to be said.

I won't oppose your nomination, because the cabinet is almost empty at the moment, but I'm doing it very reluctantly. And you have a lot to do if you want my confidence.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 04:09:01 PM »

I will not oppose the Blair's nomination, considered that the Cabinet is in a tragic situation without a lot of important office-holders. But I have to share Senator Kalwejt's concerns.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »

Wait, haven't we just eliminated the AG office?
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »

Mr. Blair, it is lovely to see you again. However, I have a major issue with the fact that your citizenship was provided by an Executive Order by President Bore. While I admire the fact that you want to join the Cabinet, which is sorely in need of membership, I am not sure that we can just bypass legislation through Executive Order.

And to answer the question of the previous speaker, we will have once Bore signs. And if he vetoes, we have enough votes for an override.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 10:36:18 PM »

And to answer the question of the previous speaker, we will have once Bore signs. And if he vetoes, we have enough votes for an override.

We'd been debating that bill for quite a while. The President took part of its debate. How does this even happen? I mean, come on.

The President should've not appointed him, and much less in the circumstances of his registration. He should've at least waited to sign the Cabinet Reorganization Act and then appoint him as Solicitor General.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 02:43:22 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2015, 02:48:20 AM by Blair »

I mean to quote Robert Kennedy if you want the person who's been stayed on longest, then don't vote for me'

I'm been honest about what happened, and anyone who spoke to me around the period will know how absolutely miserable I was during that whole month, even during the whole impeachment. I hate the idea that I would have had to stay on as Speaker and Senator, when frankly I would have been doing an awful job- it would have felt like a chore, and I don't want to get to a point where a online election game is making me feel miserable. Sure I should have handled the situation in a better way, but I needed that break, and frankly it's made me stronger

I've served in the Senate since April, I impeached members of my own government, I passed a resolution taking us to a virtual civil war-I've got the ability to serve and the track record to go with it. I'd willing serve as Home Affairs Secretary, it's honestly what I'm more interested is, and it gives everyone a chance to read my long speeches against
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 05:28:38 AM »

Motion for a final vote
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 06:08:28 AM »

I don't think we can hold a final vote on a position that is not existing.
I think the President should re-appoint Blair and then we'll immediately vote, with this debate counting as the debate for the other nomination.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »

I don't think we can hold a final vote on a position that is not existing.
I think the President should re-appoint Blair and then we'll immediately vote, with this debate counting as the debate for the other nomination.

Bore is yet to sign the bill, isn't he?

But you're right, I withdraw the motion.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 05:55:22 PM »

The uncertainty of what will be makes it tough to do anything now, doesn't it? Tongue
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 01:25:08 AM »

Bore has appointed me to the secretary of home Affairs, so I could be approved for that
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 05:52:33 AM »

Motion for a final vote.

If there aren't objections, I'll open a final vote tomorrow.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 12:15:26 PM »

I remember Blair's very good performance as Deputy SoIA and will vote to confirm.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 03:24:02 PM »

No objections here.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 06:13:26 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2015, 06:15:53 PM by Senator PiT »

Sounds good.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 11:36:47 PM »

I remember Blair's very good performance as Deputy SoIA and will vote to confirm.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 04:28:53 AM »

Any updates on this?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy