Conservative Public Universities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:40:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Conservative Public Universities
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Conservative Public Universities  (Read 7434 times)
Bismarck
Chancellor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2015, 01:15:42 PM »

I often hear people say that Purdue In W. Lafayette Indiana is conservative as far as public universities go. Although it is to the left of me (I consider it very moderate)  it certainly isn't the University of Wisconsin Madison or IU. Is this because it is a land grant college with agriculture and engineering? What other factors come into play? What other public universities have a conservative or moderate bent?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 01:37:49 PM »

I often hear people say that Purdue In W. Lafayette Indiana is conservative as far as public universities go. Although it is to the left of me (I consider it very moderate)  it certainly isn't the University of Wisconsin Madison or IU. Is this because it is a land grant college with agriculture and engineering? What other factors come into play? What other public universities have a conservative or moderate bent?

A bunch in the South (basically the entire SEC)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »

If you look at most cities where there are SEC schools, most still vote for Democrats, but with a varying degree. Only ones that really don't are the Alabama and Mississippi schools, plus Texas A&M.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:23:59 PM »

If you look at most cities where there are SEC schools, most still vote for Democrats, but with a varying degree. Only ones that really don't are the Alabama and Mississippi schools, plus Texas A&M.

Texas A&M stands out quite strongly in this regard.  An officially secular university with a 5K+ student body that went McCain-Romney is a rare thing indeed.  I'd also suggest Colorado School of Mines as a possible McCain-Romney public school.  But, that one clearly caters to specific likely R career paths.  UNC, Duke, UVA and UGA all look like they are well over 60% Obama 2008 on DRA, clearly over 70% for Chapel Hill and UVA.  I'd imagine Alabama/Auburn/Ole Miss are much more moderate, but probably still broke for Obama?

Note that engineering = more moderate is a good general assumption, but it can be misleading.  The MIT and Stanford campus precincts were both >80% Obama in 2008, while Dartmouth, which has comparatively little science and engineering appears to be only 60-70% Obama in 2008, in line with national 18-24 year-olds (and probably to the right of a New England subsample for the 18-24 demographic).
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »

After I was expelled from Northern Kentucky University because I was too liberal, I think NKU qualifies.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 04:30:13 PM »

Also, NKU hosted an appearance by George W. Bush, tried to silence professors for espousing non-right-wing views, and hired a disproportionate number of conservative professors.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 05:45:38 PM »

This is true of any state where there are two primary universities, with one the land grant college and the other the liberal arts:

Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Purdue, Mississippi State, Auburn, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Colorado State, Utah State, Oregon State, Washington State.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 06:34:22 PM »

This is true of any state where there are two primary universities, with one the land grant college and the other the liberal arts:

Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Purdue, Mississippi State, Auburn, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Colorado State, Utah State, Oregon State, Washington State.

Hmmm, so maybe it is all about career tracks.  That makes the few secular liberal arts colleges that are in line with or more conservative than the 18-24 average even more fascinating specimens.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 06:50:41 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2015, 06:59:08 PM by realisticidealist »

I often hear people say that Purdue In W. Lafayette Indiana is conservative as far as public universities go. Although it is to the left of me (I consider it very moderate)  it certainly isn't the University of Wisconsin Madison or IU. Is this because it is a land grant college with agriculture and engineering? What other factors come into play? What other public universities have a conservative or moderate bent?

WSU's more conservative that UW, but it's still plenty liberal.

None of Washington's public universities are particularly conservative (Gonzaga and Walla Walla are both conservative, but they're private), though I'd guess CWU is probably the most conservative? (Cheney's more conservative than Ellensburg or Pullman, but that's because more than half the professors and students live in Spokane, as any reasonable person who could afford it would)

From most liberal to conservative, I'd rank them as:

1. Evergreen
2. WWU
3. UW
4. EWU
5. WSU
6. CWU
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 07:56:58 PM »

^

I was going to complain that the Cheney precincts with EWU in them are both way less liberal than the WSU and CWU precincts, but I ran some numbers first.  Both of the precincts with EWU in them were only 22% under 30 years old among 2012 voters.  It's looking like 250-400 student votes citywide.  Even considering it has a lot of commuters (I hear), that's really low versus the student population, so I have no idea how they voted.  Why so apathetic?  I'm also curious why you think it's more liberal than WSU and CWU.

I also wouldn't say Gonzaga is conservative.  Gonzaga's precinct is noticeably more liberal than the surrounding areas, especially on social issues, and students are a big chunk of the vote there.  I'd say the only conservative-leaning schools in the state are probably Northwest University and Whitworth (not SPU, contrary to popular perception).
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »

Oregon State is liberal, and Florida State is liberal for North Fla. Mississippi State is conservative but less so than Ole Miss.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 09:09:32 PM »

Oregon State is liberal, and Florida State is liberal for North Fla. Mississippi State is conservative but less so than Ole Miss.
FSU and NCSU also have the liability of being in the state capital.

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »

After I was expelled from Northern Kentucky University because I was too liberal, I think NKU qualifies.

I don't believe that happened.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 10:06:23 PM »

It happened. Every member of my immediate family knows it happened. Close personal friends know it happened.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 10:26:37 PM »

It happened. Every member of my immediate family knows it happened. Close personal friends know it happened.

im curious, expand more on this if you dont mind. how did it go down?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »

im curious, expand more on this if you dont mind. how did it go down?

I was a student there in 1995. I published an underground newsletter that criticized the school's mishandling of misconduct by a student athlete, and included various progressive grievances. One day, the school sent me a letter telling me not to come to campus anymore. A few months later, I had to use the university library because it was the federal book repository for this district. When I did use the library, I was arrested for "trespassing."

The judge eventually dismissed the case, but only after a drawn-out legal ordeal.

Meanwhile, conservative students who did the exact same thing I did were not punished.
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »

While not public, I believe that Vanderbilt is now plurality or majority Republican.  Whether it was in 2008 or even 2012 (when the youth vote was much more liberal than it is now) is another question.  It and Notre Dame are probably the only two majority GOP Top-20 universities.

There is also no doubt that Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, and Mississippi St. all have strong Republican majorities, as (famously) does Texas A&M.  TCU, Baylor, LSU, South Carolina, Clemson, Tennessee, Arkansas, and a few others are good bets as well (in addition to religious/engineering-dominated schools).
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 02:17:38 PM »

While not public, I believe that Vanderbilt is now plurality or majority Republican.  Whether it was in 2008 or even 2012 (when the youth vote was much more liberal than it is now) is another question.

Younger voters are actually getting more liberal.
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 02:29:44 PM »

While not public, I believe that Vanderbilt is now plurality or majority Republican.  Whether it was in 2008 or even 2012 (when the youth vote was much more liberal than it is now) is another question.

You are going to be in for a rude awakening in 2016 when the 18-24 vote is split right down the middle.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »

You are going to be in for a rude awakening in 2016 when the 18-24 vote is split right down the middle.

I'll believe it when I see it, also Berry won the Vanderbilt Campus and the surrounding areas so I don't think you could say its a Republican school.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »

Latest PPP National Poll (Ages 18-29) Approval-Disapproval Numbers:

Obama 47-30
Biden 36-31
Clinton 45-48
Sanders 39-24

Bush 28-51
Carson 21-39
Christie 16-62
Cruz 13-56
Fiorina 14-35
Huckabee 14-47
Kasich 12-45
Paul 15-54
Rubio 32-41
Trump 16-67
Walker 8-45

Clinton Beats (among 18-29):
Bush 63-26
Carson 61-26
Fiorina 63-24
Cruz 61-26
Huckabee 63-26
Kasich 65-18
Rubio 63-22
Trump 67-20
Walker 58-22

Where is the split right down the middle?
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »

Latest PPP National Poll (Ages 18-29) Approval-Disapproval Numbers:

Obama 47-30
Biden 36-31
Clinton 45-48
Sanders 39-24

Bush 28-51
Carson 21-39
Christie 16-62
Cruz 13-56
Fiorina 14-35
Huckabee 14-47
Kasich 12-45
Paul 15-54
Rubio 32-41
Trump 16-67
Walker 8-45

Clinton Beats (among 18-29):
Bush 63-26
Carson 61-26
Fiorina 63-24
Cruz 61-26
Huckabee 63-26
Kasich 65-18
Rubio 63-22
Trump 67-20
Walker 58-22

Where is the split right down the middle?

18-24 in 2016 is very different than 18-29 in 2015.  Those 2015 23-29 year olds are far, far more liberal than the 2015 17-22 year olds.  1992 serves as a breaking point between a more liberal and a more centrist (or, really, more evenly polarized) generation.

As for the Vanderbilt thing, the campus, while traditional in physical appearance, is still in a downtown area.  Plus, students were not on campus to vote in early August (and the majority of students don't use their campus address).  According to various reports, it is split down the middle, slightly leaning Republican.  However, at the politically involved level, the difference seems to be more extreme- the College Republicans have over 1000 likes on Facebook, while the College Democrats only have 300-something.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 03:06:20 PM »

the College Republicans have over 1000 likes on Facebook, while the College Democrats only have 300-something.

The Campbell County Democratic Party has 881 likes. The Campbell County Republican Party has 206. Ergo, Obama actually beat Romney by more than 4-to-1 in the county. That's what you're saying.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 02:29:20 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2015, 02:32:46 AM by Grad Students are the Worst »

I can't believe I'm coming in here to echo a Bandit post, but Facebook page likes, even if they were a representative sample, are a terrible proxy for actual support because they're almost entirely dependent on how good/aggressive their social media person is.  Also, "various reports"?  I would take precinct results over "various reports" any day of the week.  What was the partisan breakdown in 2012?

I don't have these results offhand, but I recall that UMiss narrowly voted for Obama at least in 2008.

One fair caveat, though: I think there's a case to be made that on-campus voters might be more liberal than folks who registered, and voted, at their parents' houses.  I don't have anything to substantiate this beyond intuition, though.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »

The one election I can remember where the results echoed the number of Facebook likes was that special election in Kentucky that James Kay won.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies