Netanyahu doesn't want to take in more Syrian Refugees
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 04:30:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Netanyahu doesn't want to take in more Syrian Refugees
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Netanyahu doesn't want to take in more Syrian Refugees  (Read 2073 times)
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2015, 08:46:51 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-syrian-refugees-israel-20150906-story.html

Screw Netanyahu, it's not like taking in 3-5 thousand refugees will cause the downfall of Jewish dominance in Israel.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 09:04:42 PM »

Not surprising. Netanyahu is basically the equivalent of a modern European far-rightist.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 09:11:02 PM »

syrian refugees should establish continuously expanding settlements with walls around them in israel tbh
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 12:05:43 AM »

If Israel won't take them, the Palestinians should. They would gain in international credit for accepting Syrian or Iraqi refugees.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 04:40:52 AM »

Yeah, taking in Syrian refugees would surely be a great idea for Israel Roll Eyes Roll Eyes If people who want Israel to be destroyed as a Jewish state in the first place are mad with some Likud policy, then it's no big deal.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 06:54:53 AM »

God Bless Benjamin Netanyahu!!!!
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 10:44:02 AM »

Israel is done with trying to please the rest of the world, as it should be.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »

>Implying Israel shouldn't give a crap about people from other countries just because. I guess by that standard the U.S should go back to being isolationist.

Yeah, taking in Syrian refugees would surely be a great idea for Israel Roll Eyes Roll Eyes If people who want Israel to be destroyed as a Jewish state in the first place are mad with some Likud policy, then it's no big deal.

Israel has all kinds of crazy minor political parties that I think we both agree are dangerous. While I understand Syria is very hostile towards Israel it only seems natural to me that refugees willing to risk their lives to go to Israel would be less anti-Semitic. I would least hope you'd be accepting a more conservative policy of accepting 500-1000 more refugees if you detest Assad and care about despair in the Middle East as much as you profess.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 12:31:28 PM »

Israel doesn't want to take in people who for all intents and purposes believe the country has no right to exist in the first place. In other news, a bear sh**ts in the wood.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 01:30:47 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2015, 01:35:21 PM by DavidB. »

Israel has all kinds of crazy minor political parties that I think we both agree are dangerous. While I understand Syria is very hostile towards Israel it only seems natural to me that refugees willing to risk their lives to go to Israel would be less anti-Semitic. I would least hope you'd be accepting a more conservative policy of accepting 500-1000 more refugees if you detest Assad and care about despair in the Middle East as much as you profess.
Actually, I'm not really sure as to what parties you're talking about. Could you clarify that? I could probably understand it if people would consider Otzma Yehudit (currently not in parliament) dangerous, even though I think it's a bit of a stretch. All the others? Not so much. Bennett is a visionary, while Lieberman might be a wacko, but not a dangerous one. I actually think there are some parties on the left that hold truly dangerous views, but that was probably not what you were talking about.

If we're talking about 500-1000 refugees then we're talking about sheer symbolism. And while that is not problematic in and of itself - for many meaningful political actions can be boiled down to sheer symbolism - it's not as if Israel will truly be contributing to solving the problems by doing so. I'd surely be in favor of taking in people who hold no grudge against Israel and have some "baggage" that would render seeking help in other neighboring countries problematic, such as LGBTs and Yazidis, and I don't really care if that would be 100 or 10,000 individuals if the selection is truly good and Israel is really not taking in terrorists/haters. However, given the circumstances and the fact that a country doesn't really get to pick and choose who it wants, I understand the government's response.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 01:53:59 PM »

Israel doesn't want to take in people who for all intents and purposes believe the country has no right to exist in the first place. In other news, a bear sh**ts in the wood.

Yep, Israel may not have the world's biggest fan club, but most people get why Israel make this choice. This is not Israel bull dozing Palestinian villages or Israeli terrorist burning Palestinians alive, this is a quite logical policy, through if they was smart they made a exception for Druzes.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 01:58:10 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2015, 02:00:53 PM by DavidB. »

Yep, Israel may not have the world's biggest fan club, but most people get why Israel make this choice. This is not Israel bull dozing Palestinian villages or Israeli terrorist burning Palestinians alive, this is a quite logical policy, through if they was smart they made a exception for Druzes.
Well, maybe not. Druze are extremely loyal to their countries (a logical attitude, given their history of persecution and secrecy). So while Israeli Druze are loyal to Israel, Syrian Druze are loyal to Assad and often hate Israel (the same goes for many Druze in the Golan heights, who still have problems with living in Israel sometimes - some "choose for Israel" while others don't, and this is tearing families apart because it's so important for them). I am totally in favor of taking in Syrian Druze if they don't hate Israel though.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2015, 04:03:15 PM by ingemann »

Well, maybe not. Druze are extremely loyal to their countries (a logical attitude, given their history of persecution and secrecy). So while Israeli Druze are loyal to Israel, Syrian Druze are loyal to Assad and often hate Israel (the same goes for many Druze in the Golan heights, who still have problems with living in Israel sometimes - some "choose for Israel" while others don't, and this is tearing families apart because it's so important for them). I am totally in favor of taking in Syrian Druze if they don't hate Israel though.

The Druzes in Golan choose Syria to the degree they do, because they're not sure that Israel won't deliver the Golans back, which would leave them out to dry. If the Druze knew that Israel woudn't deliver it back ever, they would be fully loyal to Israel. Bringing in their relatives just across the border would be a good way to start winning their trust.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 03:29:52 PM »

Yes, I agree with that.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 04:12:02 PM »

If I was entirely dependant on the grace of a large superpower/sugar daddy to cover the cost of all my crap, apologise for my misdeeds and spend enormous political capital covering up my arse; I think I would be a bit more, erm, diplomatic. Ah well, I guess Bibi is adopting YOLO as his personal philosophy.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 04:28:07 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2015, 04:30:50 PM by DavidB. »

entirely dependant on the grace of a large superpower/sugar daddy to cover the cost of all my crap
I happen to agree with gradually phasing out US aid to Israel. But what you're saying is just full nonsense. According to estimations, US aid accounts for 1 to 4% of Israel's budget. That is way too much and it hurts both the US and Israel: it gives the US an excuse to treat Israel like a colony, and it gives Israel an excuse to feel too safe relying on a partner that, in the end, will always seek its own interest instead of Israel's, which is logical because that's how this world works and the US isn't a pro-Israel NGO. However, "entirely dependent" is simply not the case. For many people, US aid is just a ploy to be negative about Israel. I think you would have posted a hateful statement about Bibi's policies if the US wouldn't give Israel aid as well, so please stop pretending it's about that. In the end, it doesn't really matter for anyone.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 05:07:01 PM »

If I was entirely dependant on the grace of a large superpower/sugar daddy to cover the cost of all my crap, apologise for my misdeeds and spend enormous political capital covering up my arse; I think I would be a bit more, erm, diplomatic. Ah well, I guess Bibi is adopting YOLO as his personal philosophy.

Not talking about our alliance with the US, as they really haven't taken any stance on the refugee crisis either way. This is more about Europe and "global authorities", to which I fully stand by my statements.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 05:08:45 PM »

Not talking about our alliance with the US, as they really haven't taken any stance on the refugee crisis either way. This is more about Europe and "global authorities", to which I fully stand by my statements.
I totally agree.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 06:04:05 PM »

Actually, I'm not really sure as to what parties you're talking about. Could you clarify that? I could probably understand it if people would consider Otzma Yehudit (currently not in parliament) dangerous, even though I think it's a bit of a stretch. All the others? Not so much. Bennett is a visionary, while Lieberman might be a wacko, but not a dangerous one. I actually think there are some parties on the left that hold truly dangerous views, but that was probably not what you were talking about.

If we're talking about 500-1000 refugees then we're talking about sheer symbolism. And while that is not problematic in and of itself - for many meaningful political actions can be boiled down to sheer symbolism - it's not as if Israel will truly be contributing to solving the problems by doing so. I'd surely be in favor of taking in people who hold no grudge against Israel and have some "baggage" that would render seeking help in other neighboring countries problematic, such as LGBTs and Yazidis, and I don't really care if that would be 100 or 10,000 individuals if the selection is truly good and Israel is really not taking in terrorists/haters. However, given the circumstances and the fact that a country doesn't really get to pick and choose who it wants, I understand the government's response.

1. I'm just talking about crazy nationalist parties with no seats or jokes like the Men's Rights in the Family Party.

2. I understand your concerns since terror and crime threats are a big reason I'd never support open borders. To me, it's worth it for Israel to take in enough refugees since I suspect the country would save at least 40 times the amount of good refugees compared to thugs.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 06:05:52 PM »

Why it's almost as if Israel is an ethno-nationalist state...
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »

Why it's almost as if Israel is an ethno-nationalist state...

It's almost as if it was created for the sole purpose of keeping a tiny ethnic group safe from genocidal aggression.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 02:02:34 AM »

Well if I was a Syrian refugee who didn't have a negative opinion of Israel up to this point, I certainly would feel differently after being denied the ability to seek refuge from ISIS there.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 02:11:24 AM »

People are surprised?

Netanyahu doesn't even respect his own Arab citizens, nevermind the extreme measures to stop refugees from Africa.

I'm surprised they took in any.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 02:17:44 AM »

Guys, I think Netanyahu might be a neo-nazi.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 04:21:09 AM »

Well if I was a Syrian refugee who didn't have a negative opinion of Israel up to this point, I certainly would feel differently after being denied the ability to seek refuge from ISIS there.

I doubt Israel is going to care about alienating a dozen or so Syrians who didn't hate Israel beforehand. Considering that the conflict will probably drag on for the foreseeable future, it makes sense to put refugees in places where they can conceivably become permanent residents. Israel definitely is not one of those places.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies