ISIS are evil, part 52683854959338451
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:03:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  ISIS are evil, part 52683854959338451
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ISIS are evil, part 52683854959338451  (Read 933 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34111092
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 02:35:51 PM »

This is pretty old news. Besides, I care more for every human life that these bastards have taken than for some old temple, regardless of how beautiful it was.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »

This is pretty old news. Besides, I care more for every human life that these bastards have taken than for some old temple, regardless of how beautiful it was.

Loss of human life is terrible, but cultural heritage can never be replaced, while new humans are born all the time. Some parts of our heritage are more important than a single individual. Even if it is an odd calculation.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 03:12:13 PM »

If I had to choose between saving one Syrian's life and saving the Palmyra temple complex, I would choose the former in a heartbeat. Human lives are so much more important than buildings, even though it is of course extremely sad that this complex and many other archeological sites are being trashed.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 03:21:54 PM »

If I had to choose between saving one Syrian's life and saving the Palmyra temple complex, I would choose the former in a heartbeat. Human lives are so much more important than buildings, even though it is of course extremely sad that this complex and many other archeological sites are being trashed.

Some buildings, like Stonehenge or Taj Mahal, have an historical and cultural importance that puts their value above the individual.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 03:22:39 PM »

Loss of human life is terrible, but cultural heritage can never be replaced, while new humans are born all the time. Some parts of our heritage are more important than a single individual. Even if it is an odd calculation.

I usually love cold, heartless logic but I think you take it too far here. New humans are born everyday but they aren't the SAME humans. Just like you could absolutely build a new temple but as you say, it wouldn't be the SAME temple.

I respect you misanthropy though.
Angel of Death
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 03:29:16 PM »

Human lives are so much more important than buildings

In your case, apparently not when they're Palestinians.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2015, 03:54:53 PM by politicus »

I usually love cold, heartless logic but I think you take it too far here. New humans are born everyday but they aren't the SAME humans. Just like you could absolutely build a new temple but as you say, it wouldn't be the SAME temple.

I respect you misanthropy though.

What I meant is that we are not an endangered species and while a loss of human life is a tragedy - the tragedy of losing the most important elements of our historical heritage would be greater.

I generally value human life very highly, but the buildings and monuments that are central elements of our cultural heritage are more important - they matters to million of people. Even if I can not set an exact prize on it, but it is certainly higher than one life if we are talking about, say, Taj Mahal (or Palmyra).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 03:33:55 PM »

In your case, apparently not when they're Palestinians.
Huh Huh Huh

Not sure where this is coming from all of a sudden - or who you are... I guess it's just the "he's Jewish so he's responsible for all that's wrong in the world" reflex many people still have. It's okay to talk about that with your therapist, but I fail to see why you should bother me with that. I'm getting tired of people suddenly bringing up Israel out of nothing. If you do it again, I'll put you on ignore. Kthxbai.
Angel of Death
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 04:06:52 PM »

You were somehow expecting you weren't going to be called out on the contrast between your holier-than-thou position here and views you've expressed elsewhere? And now you top that with some good old moral indignation brought about from a stereotypical persecution complex and a threat no normal person would ever care about? I get the distinct feeling I'm dealing with quite an immature mind here.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 04:09:08 PM »

So the ignore option it is. Ain't got time for flaming racists. Bye bye!

Let's by all means continue the conversation regarding Palmyra.
Angel of Death
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 04:14:10 PM »

"LALALALA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU (but I still want to have the last word)!"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies