What were Jeb's actual accomplishments, relevant to the presidency?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 10:21:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What were Jeb's actual accomplishments, relevant to the presidency?  (Read 1871 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »
« edited: August 26, 2015, 02:24:35 PM by Blue3 »

I was a teenager in the 2000's (and living in Rhode Island), so I don't remember everything. The only things I vaguely remember about Jeb as governor are:
1. the Terri Schiavo controversy, I think he tried to use state troops to prevent her husband from pulling the tube when she was in a vegetative state (a battle that Jeb eventually lost)
2. the 2000 Florida election mess, with many people thinking Jeb's government purging the eligible voter lists (and other weird stuff happening) might have led to his brother's victory

And I know during the Obama presidency he's been an advocate of Common Core.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 02:34:25 PM »

PNAC Founder, which called for war with Iraq, but said that we probably had to wait until after "a new Pearl Harbor".
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 03:47:19 PM »

All you gotta do is message dudeabides, he's got ya covered.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »

I was a teenager in the 2000's (and living in Rhode Island), so I don't remember everything. The only things I vaguely remember about Jeb as governor are:
1. the Terri Schiavo controversy, I think he tried to use state troops to prevent her husband from pulling the tube when she was in a vegetative state (a battle that Jeb eventually lost)
2. the 2000 Florida election mess, with many people thinking Jeb's government purging the eligible voter lists (and other weird stuff happening) might have led to his brother's victory

Jeb Bush was one of the most successful Governors in terms of reforming government and implementing policies to create jobs and foster quality of life in modern history. He accomplished a lot while Governor, but is also an accomplished businessman.

Consider this:

-He cut taxes every year he was Governor of Florida, totaling $19 billion
-He reduced the size of state government by roughly 10% and ended civil service protections
-He increased his state's reserves from $1 billion to $9 billion
- He vetoed higher taxes & $2 billion in new spending
-He enacted tort reform even as Republicans in the legislature fought him
-He enacted medicaid reform that gave seniors the option to select a private plan and get a subsidy
-He implemented the first state voucher program in America, ended social promotion in third grade, and ended affirmative action in higher education
-He signed "Stand Your Ground" into law along with 11 other laws protecting gun owners
-He signed into law a ban on partial-birth abortion and presided over Florida becoming the first state to have a "Choose Life" license plate
-He protected Florida's everglades while Governor
- In the private sector, he helped create one of the largest commercial real estate firms in South Florida
- He helped establish a charter school in Florida
- He served as Florida's Secretary of Commerce
- During his tenure as Governor, 1.3 million jobs were created - roughly 15% of all the jobs created in America during his time in office. Florida's economy grew at an average rate of 4.4% during his tenure, the U.S. saw average growth of 3% during his time in office.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 06:09:01 PM »

I inserted my comments in bold and red.

Jeb Bush was one of the most successful Governors in terms of reforming government and implementing policies to create jobs and foster quality of life in modern history. He accomplished a lot while Governor, but is also an accomplished businessman.

Consider this:

Ok, I guess this can count as an accomplishment... but which taxes did he cut? Did he cut services to pay for these tax cuts? If not, how did he pay for them?
-He reduced the size of state government by roughly 10% and ended civil service protections
Ok, that's an accomplishment. But why is that good?
Ok.
New spending in what?
Ok.
-He enacted medicaid reform that gave seniors the option to select a private plan and get a subsidy
Has this been effective?
-He implemented the first state voucher program in America, ended social promotion in third grade, and ended affirmative action in higher education
What have been the effects if the voucher program?
-He signed "Stand Your Ground" into law along with 11 other laws protecting gun owners
An accomplishment but not necessarily a good one.
-He signed into law a ban on partial-birth abortion and presided over Florida becoming the first state to have a "Choose Life" license plate
Did it hold up in court? And a pro-life license plate is NOT an accomplishment.
How?
- In the private sector, he helped create one of the largest commercial real estate firms in South Florida
How? What did he specifically do? How is it relevant?
Um, ok.
Not really an accomplishment...
- During his tenure as Governor, 1.3 million jobs were created - roughly 15% of all the jobs created in America during his time in office. Florida's economy grew at an average rate of 4.4% during his tenure, the U.S. saw average growth of 3% during his time in office.
Ok, how did he do that?

And overall, it's not clear how much of this is stuff Jeb simply signed into law that his state legislature actually worked for, and how much came from Jeb.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 06:21:54 PM »

Oh how nice, he facilitated the murder of innocent people by racist nut-jobs like Zimmermann (or whatever the bastard's name is).
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »

I inserted my comments in bold and red.

And overall, it's not clear how much of this is stuff Jeb simply signed into law that his state legislature actually worked for, and how much came from Jeb.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/jun/09/jeb-bush/jeb-bush-says-he-cut-13000-state-workforce-jobs-go/
file:///home/chronos/u-8c2d2288c3baec2bbe667b2bdf6f1488bae1b2ef/Downloads/Jeb-Bush-Club-for-Growth-White-Paper.pdf
http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/may/26/jeb-bush/saga-jeb-bushs-one-time-alias-veto-corleone/
http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/11/floridas-medicaid-reform-shows-the-way-to-improve-health-increase-satisfaction-and-control-costs
http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/mar/27/jeb-bush/jeb-bush-praises-florida-closing-achievement-gap/
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/04/18/supreme-court-upholds-partial-birth-abortion-ban-act.html
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/03/jeb-bush-everglades-115655.html#.Vd5PvCgViko
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/04/jeb-bush-reporters-florida-schooled-the-press-117004.html#.Vd5RBygViko

Taxes:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Size of government:

Vetoes:

Medicaid Reform:

Education:

Partial-birth abortion and the courts:

Everglades:

Business:

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 07:09:41 PM »

Consider this:

...and he's considered a centrist. Lord.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 08:50:59 PM »

All you gotta do is message dudeabides, he's got ya covered.

I don't know why, but this response made me chuckle, especially as I then looked one post down.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 09:14:35 PM »

Jeb didn't "reduce" government in Florida.  He "privatized" state functions, which means two things:

1.  Folks doing critical jobs (such as management of our prisons and Foster Care system) will perform the same jobs for less money and benefits.

2.  Jeb got to give contracts to companies with cronies and political contributors as part of their organizational structure.  It's the new model of political patronage and payoff.

Jeb EXPANDED government to the Private Sector, where corporations manage prisons for profit and are free to lobby for longer prison sentences for minor offenses.  That's the Corporate State.  There was a word for that concept I learned in college; what was it?  Wait . . . wait . . . I think I got it . . .

FACISM!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 09:24:29 PM »

As for "ending civil service protections":  I would ask how that makes the middle class more stable? 

I am a public employee, but I have worked as a "privatized" employee.  That means that when the state decides to go with a new "provider" for the service, you have to reapply for your job all over again.  Sometimes every year.  You don't just get a new uniform or ID and a new payor on your paycheck.  This affects many folks, including correctional officers, civilian prison staff, and the folks who manage Florida's Foster Care system. 

When these people's jobs were "privatized", they lost their retirement, saw their health coverage decling (getting less for more), and saw their salaries reduced to the point where they could not hope to save enough to retire on their new "defined contribution" plan.  That was the thanks they got for doing often thankless work.  Positions that require a college degree start at less than $30K today.  And Florida isn't as cheap as folks think it is.

Jeb Bush helped drive a bigger wedge between the 1% who benefit from privatization and the working class who are pre-empted from the middle class because their jobs were valued only as something to give to rich men for profit.  I don't know about you, but that's my definition of a scumbag.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 10:05:59 PM »

As for "ending civil service protections":  I would ask how that makes the middle class more stable?  

I am a public employee, but I have worked as a "privatized" employee.  That means that when the state decides to go with a new "provider" for the service, you have to reapply for your job all over again.  Sometimes every year.  You don't just get a new uniform or ID and a new payor on your paycheck.  This affects many folks, including correctional officers, civilian prison staff, and the folks who manage Florida's Foster Care system.  

When these people's jobs were "privatized", they lost their retirement, saw their health coverage decling (getting less for more), and saw their salaries reduced to the point where they could not hope to save enough to retire on their new "defined contribution" plan.  That was the thanks they got for doing often thankless work.  Positions that require a college degree start at less than $30K today.  And Florida isn't as cheap as folks think it is.

Jeb Bush helped drive a bigger wedge between the 1% who benefit from privatization and the working class who are pre-empted from the middle class because their jobs were valued only as something to give to rich men for profit.  I don't know about you, but that's my definition of a scumbag.

People say that Bush's tenure as Governor was successful only because of the strong housing market. The strong housing market was around in all 50 states and Florida was a leader in job growth, Governor Bush made it even more desirable. The folks who found jobs building homes, selling homes, surveying property, working at hotels, doing event planning etc. are not in the 1%, they are middle and lower income folks who found jobs. The idea that Governor Bush's tenure as Governor only benefited the wealthy simply is not true, all Floridians benefited.

Secondly, I applaud public employees for their hard work, they often do not get the recognition they deserve. There is no question that public employees deserve a retirement plan and a health plan, but the fact is defined benefit plans have several states facing severe budget shortfalls and employees have no choice over investments made on behalf of their own retirements. A defined contribution plan gives employees more choice and has a similar return on investment to a defined benefit plan. Here in New Jersey, the government has over promised and under delivered in terms of a return on investment under our defined benefit system. What I do reject is that in many states, public sector workers enjoy health benefits that were affordable decades ago, but now taxpayers are footing the bill for expensive plans - I think our public sector workers should pay roughly what employees of large corporations pay, that's not being too unreasonable.

Privatization is sometimes necessary, my view is that when we downsize government, it has to be done via attrition - people shouldn't be fired, but we shouldn't re-hire folks after someone quits or retires. That being said, people who are unethical should be fired and that's why certain civil service protections should be lifted. I am not suggesting eliminating all civil service protections, there has to be some incentive to remain in the public sector.

Finally, this debate about the working class vs. the rich is fundamentally flawed. I don't like it when companies get corporate subsidies or that the Federal Reserve sells our assets to wealthy bankers. But we shouldn't be pitting one group against another, and in reality we have two choices as it pertains to dealing with income inequality, which is a very real issue. Our choice is either to make everyone poor or make everyone prosper. There will always be a 1% and a 99%, there is nothing we can do about that. I'd like to see everyone succeed.

pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 10:50:43 PM »

• Privatised state parks, foster care, adoption services, and legal representation for death row inmates.
• Cut taxes for businesses and the upper brackets
• Increased mandatory minimum sentences for juveniles
• "Stand Your Ground" laws
• The Teri Schiavo thing

Not that any of this is particularly good policy, but it's his record.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 09:43:44 AM »

• Privatised state parks, foster care, adoption services, and legal representation for death row inmates.
• The Teri Schiavo thing

I wish every Governor would privatize state parks and legal representation, he also cut taxes for working people, I'm glad someone is enforcing the law, I'm glad someone defended the second amendment, and I'm glad someone stood with the parents of Teri Schiavo as opposed to her selfish husband.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 09:55:41 AM »

Secondly, I applaud public employees for their hard work, they often do not get the recognition they deserve.

I think Dudeabides and Jeb are merging into one person
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »

Dudeabides😊 Well said man! To remind Landslide Lyndon,  I would be more comfortable with Jeb in the presidency, as opposed to Hillary;  what we're her qualifications again? hmmm!  let me see, she presided over a health care task force which degenerated into a farce of epic proportions...wait a minute that wasn't exactly an accomplishment, was it? She parlayed her husband's marital infidelities into a political opportunity and ran for the Senate in a heavily Democratic state. You could have registered an orangutan as a Democrat and gotten the same result. She was reelected in a landslide in a Democratic year in a Democratic stronghold.  Last time New York voted Republican was for Alfonse D'Amato in 1992, Reagan in 1984, George Pataki in 2002 or Rudolph Giuliani for Mayor in 1997. Hillary has used the Clinton name to her advantage,  but the negative baggage surrounding the Clinton Foundation and her stint as Secretary of State, proves one thing, she is the master of disaster and little else. I mean the first time she runs for President, she gets blown away by a political neophyte by comparison to her "accomplishments". Please! Give me a break😮
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »

Dudeabides😊 Well said man! To remind Landslide Lyndon,  I would be more comfortable with Jeb in the presidency, as opposed to Hillary;  what we're her qualifications again? hmmm!  let me see, she presided over a health care task force which degenerated into a farce of epic proportions...wait a minute that wasn't exactly an accomplishment, was it? She parlayed her husband's marital infidelities into a political opportunity and ran for the Senate in a heavily Democratic state. You could have registered an orangutan as a Democrat and gotten the same result. She was reelected in a landslide in a Democratic year in a Democratic stronghold.  Last time New York voted Republican was for Alfonse D'Amato in 1992, Reagan in 1984, George Pataki in 2002 or Rudolph Giuliani for Mayor in 1997. Hillary has used the Clinton name to her advantage,  but the negative baggage surrounding the Clinton Foundation and her stint as Secretary of State, proves one thing, she is the master of disaster and little else. I mean the first time she runs for President, she gets blown away by a political neophyte by comparison to her "accomplishments". Please! Give me a break😮

Thank you. The bottom line is, Secretary Clinton spent 12 years as an elected official in Washington D.C. and got very little done, she failed big time as Secretary of State. Most of the candidates running against her have accomplished more and have more experience. In my mind, experience does count, but judgement actually counts a tad bit more. Be it the email scandal, Benghazi, or the Russian reset, Secretary Clinton has shown a lack of judgement. Contrast that to Jeb Bush. He had to act decisively to get his state through multiple tropical storms, and he did a good job. When he was tested on tort reform, he won even with initial opposition from his own party. This might be controversial, but when the Terri Schiavo incident took place, Governor Bush sided with her parents because unlike her husband, they didn't have selfish motives. What happened with her was horrible beyond words. I can't even imagine the horror her family felt. Governor Bush sought to help the family and he did so with compassion and decisiveness. I believe most of the GOP and even Democratic candidates have better judgement than Hillary Clinton. Jim Webb served this nation in uniform, Martin O'Malley was a failure as a Governor, but he did reduce crime in Baltimore as Mayor.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 02:24:36 PM »

Secondly, I applaud public employees for their hard work, they often do not get the recognition they deserve.

I think Dudeabides and Jeb are merging into one person

He's probably Marvin Bush.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 04:08:50 PM »

• The Teri Schiavo thing

I wish every Governor would privatize state parks and legal representation, he also cut taxes for working people, I'm glad someone is enforcing the law, I'm glad someone defended the second amendment, and I'm glad someone stood with the parents of Teri Schiavo as opposed to her selfish husband.

I live in Florida, and Bush did NOT cut taxes for "working people".  He ended Flrida's "intangible tax", a tax on wealth that affected the wealthiest Floridians, the ones who needed it the least.  Even more evidence that Jeb's a scumbag.  He made Florida HARDER for the middle class by making it a tax haven for the wealthy.  All he did was artifically inflate housing prices to where working folks have trouble saving for retirement. 

I'll give Bush props for Teri Schiavo, as I'm pro-life and she didn't look dead to me.  That's it.  As far as working people go, he was a Governor who served the selfish rich who move to Flrodia, the tax haven.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 05:10:15 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2015, 05:12:31 PM by Adam T »

Jeb didn't "reduce" government in Florida.  He "privatized" state functions, which means two things:

1.  Folks doing critical jobs (such as management of our prisons and Foster Care system) will perform the same jobs for less money and benefits.

2.  Jeb got to give contracts to companies with cronies and political contributors as part of their organizational structure.  It's the new model of political patronage and payoff.

Jeb EXPANDED government to the Private Sector, where corporations manage prisons for profit and are free to lobby for longer prison sentences for minor offenses.  That's the Corporate State.

I'm not sure that I agree with all of that, but this goes back a long time.  The British T.V Show Yes, Minister did an episode about how to make it look like the size of government was being cut by, in their case, turning agencies into off budget crown corporations, or whatever the British term is.

In addition to this lie of dudeabides  that Jeb cut the size of government when, in reality, he privatized some of it, he also lied that Jeb Bush protected the Everglades, when all he did was attend a law signing by Bill Clinton, who was the one who protected the Everglades.

There is no mention of anything else on the environment or resource development, transportation, social service delivery, economic development (beyond the myth that cutting taxes automatically boosts the economy), criminal justice and law reform...

For a two term governor, even if one were to take the list of accomplishments listed here at face value, it's extremely thin.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 05:56:47 PM »

• The Teri Schiavo thing

I live in Florida, and Bush did NOT cut taxes for "working people".  He ended Flrida's "intangible tax", a tax on wealth that affected the wealthiest Floridians, the ones who needed it the least.  Even more evidence that Jeb's a scumbag.  He made Florida HARDER for the middle class by making it a tax haven for the wealthy.  All he did was artifically inflate housing prices to where working folks have trouble saving for retirement. 

I'll give Bush props for Teri Schiavo, as I'm pro-life and she didn't look dead to me.  That's it.  As far as working people go, he was a Governor who served the selfish rich who move to Flrodia, the tax haven.

First of all, I know first hand what it's like to live in a state that punishes the rich. In New Jersey, we have a tax on both estates and inheritance, one of only two states to have both. Between 2005 and 2010, as we increased taxes and fees 115 times including higher taxes on business and a tax on higher incomes, we lost nearly $70 billion in wealth. 38% of people in my state, according to one study, have difficulty affording everyday goods.

So, when Jeb Bush cut the intangibles tax, he was basically trying to not only keep wealth in Florida, but encourage more wealth and investment in the state. Florida doesn't have an estate tax which is why there is so much wealth moving there, and those with middle and lower incomes don't have to pay a state income tax like they do in most other states.

Also, Jeb Bush championed reductions in property taxes and sales taxes when he was Governor, that was a broad-based tax cut for middle and lower income Floridians. He also cut taxes on alcohol, he stopped punishing hard working folks who want a beer once in a while. He helped business owners as well, the owner of your local liquor store or bar may do well, but they are not making millions in most cases.

The federal government artificially inflated housing prices, not any Governor. The fact of the matter is, what Florida experienced the entire nation experienced, but because Florida is more favorable from an economic standpoint and the 43rd Governor made it more so, Florida's housing sector did quite well. By the way, I don't think the folks who weld, paint, build, or work at Home Depot are in the "1%."

I think it is time that we, as a nation, stop assuming the worst in everyone. There are selfish rich people, there are also selfish middle and lower income people. When these rich people who you demonize so frequently move to a place, they bring with them wealth. When someone buys a house and pays property taxes, they contribute to funding for police, firemen, and other critical services. Without all the wealth moving to Florida, you'd be worse off.

Jeb didn't "reduce" government in Florida.  He "privatized" state functions, which means two things:

1.  Folks doing critical jobs (such as management of our prisons and Foster Care system) will perform the same jobs for less money and benefits.

2.  Jeb got to give contracts to companies with cronies and political contributors as part of their organizational structure.  It's the new model of political patronage and payoff.

Jeb EXPANDED government to the Private Sector, where corporations manage prisons for profit and are free to lobby for longer prison sentences for minor offenses.  That's the Corporate State.

I'm not sure that I agree with all of that, but this goes back a long time.  The British T.V Show Yes, Minister did an episode about how to make it look like the size of government was being cut by, in their case, turning agencies into off budget crown corporations, or whatever the British term is.

In addition to this lie of dudeabides  that Jeb cut the size of government when, in reality, he privatized some of it, he also lied that Jeb Bush protected the Everglades, when all he did was attend a law signing by Bill Clinton, who was the one who protected the Everglades.

There is no mention of anything else on the environment or resource development, transportation, social service delivery, economic development (beyond the myth that cutting taxes automatically boosts the economy), criminal justice and law reform...

For a two term governor, even if one were to take the list of accomplishments listed here at face value, it's extremely thin.

No one with a brain can take what you said seriously because yet again, you don't know the facts.

Here is the part where I completely own you, as usual, though I don't give myself credit for something this easy:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/energy/how-jeb-bush-s-environmental-record-could-hurt-him-in-2016-20150310

Again, I have put forth the facts. The economy outperformed 48 states, educational achievement excelled, and Florida's reserves increased when Jeb Bush was Governor. He had an extraordinary record of accomplishment. I'm sorry you don't like the facts, but you can't continue to lie to people and get away with it. Unfortunately, you probably can get away with making your silly, dumb arguments over and over again.

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 06:06:59 PM »

As if you know anything about people with brains.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 06:08:18 PM »

I suppose you weren't burdened with an overabundance of high school
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 06:10:44 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2015, 06:24:00 PM by Adam T »

Maybe I was burdened with attending high school in Florida while your hero was governor.

It seems you weren't even burdened with an overabundance of kindergarten.  But then, only an elementary school dropout could support Jeb Bush.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 06:26:03 PM »

Maybe I was burdened with attending high school in Florida while your hero was governor.

It seems you weren't even burdened with an overabundance of kindergarten.  But then, only an elementary school dropout could support Jeb Bush.

The difference between you and I is that I am smart, I cite facts not only my opinion, and I am capable of making coherent arguments.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies