Florida: Charlie Crist Running for Gov.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:35:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Florida: Charlie Crist Running for Gov.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Florida: Charlie Crist Running for Gov.  (Read 1139 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2005, 09:48:06 PM »
« edited: May 09, 2005, 09:54:11 PM by Frodo »

Fla. attorney general to run for governor

By BRENT KALLESTAD
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Attorney General Charlie Crist became a formal candidate for governor Monday when his paperwork was delivered to Florida elections officials by "America's Most Wanted" host John Walsh.
---------------------
The filing kicks off a Republican contest to succeed Gov. Jeb Bush that could involve several of the state's best-known officeholders. Bush is barred by state law from seeking a third term.

"I think it'll be a competitive, spirited race, and I think it will be one that's hopefully based on noble ideas that different people have that are in there," Crist said.

Chief Financial Officer Tom Gallagher and Lt. Gov. Toni Jennings are other prominent Republicans considering the race along with Crist, who also served two years as education commissioner. He became attorney general in 2002.

Several polls in recent months have indicated Crist enjoys significant name recognition and support among Republicans.

On the Democratic side, state Sen. Rod Smith and U.S. Rep. Jim Davis have already filed to run. Former state Democratic Party Chairman Scott Maddox is another possible candidate.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apelection_story.asp?category=1134&slug=Florida%20Governor

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 10:27:46 PM »

Charlie Crist is easily the strongest Republican candidate for governor there.  Whether he can beat the other candidates in this race is a good question.  This is more of StatesRights territory; he might have a good response here.

If the Republican bigwigs were smart in all this, they would push Crist for the governor's nomination and influence Tom Gallagher to run for Senator (instead of governor) against Bill Nelson.

That is a ticket that could very realistically take over both spots.  Katherine Harris has too much Democrat hatred against her to win, imo, though I'm sure some Reps may disagree with me.
AuH2O
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 12:05:24 AM »

Crist is a very, very strong candidate. I think he will wind up winning handily.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies