If Trump wins as a Republican, and Single-Payer is passed in his first term...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:43:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Trump wins as a Republican, and Single-Payer is passed in his first term...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Trump wins as a Republican, and Single-Payer is passed in his first term...  (Read 745 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »

Say Donald Trumps wins the GOP nomination, and somehow wins the election. There's no nuclear war. In 2018, Democrats gain significant majorities in both the House and Senate. They pass single-payer healthcare. Trump signs it.

How would both the Democratic Party and the Republican Party react to this?

I know it's ridiculous, but so is this race so far, so humor me Tongue
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 01:12:45 PM »

Trump might not even be opposed to universal healthcare in general, so this could actually be plausible.  Trump would call it an "Obamacare replacement."

If a Trump Presidency has any disastrous blunders, it would be in foreign policy.  In that sense, his Presidency could be akin to LBJ's.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 01:42:02 PM »

RFayette, who would he declare war on first: China or Mexico?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 01:50:50 PM »

Trump might not even be opposed to universal healthcare in general, so this could actually be plausible.  Trump would call it an "Obamacare replacement."

If a Trump Presidency has any disastrous blunders, it would be in foreign policy.  In that sense, his Presidency could be akin to LBJ's.

I got the idea because Trump did defend Single-Payer in the GOP debate. If he got elected, the Democrats would probably sweep back Congress in 2018, and they probably would be Sanders Democrats, and push for Single-Payer.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 01:54:15 PM »

I got the idea because Trump did defend Single-Payer in the GOP debate. If he got elected, the Democrats would probably sweep back Congress in 2018, and they probably would be Sanders Democrats, and push for Single-Payer.

um, I hate to say this

but what on earth makes you assume that?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 02:34:21 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2015, 02:41:51 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

RFayette, who would he declare war on first: China or Mexico?

Probably Mexico, if he actually thinks Mexico will pay for a wall.  And the 2018 midterms, if they delivered a Democratic house, would be built on blue dogs and centrist Democrats in suburbs and rural areas, not Sanders Dems.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2015, 03:13:38 PM by The Ex-Factor »

Honestly I would support "repealing Obamacare" or whatever the hell that meant if it meant single-payer. Screw Obama's legacy, the net savings and universal coverage of single payer would make it worth it. Trump would be a legend!
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 03:16:13 PM »

If Trump passed single payer, I would register Republican.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »

Trump would probably have to switch parties to get re-elected.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 04:06:39 PM »

I actually suggested something like that in IRC a few weeks ago.

At the State of the Union:

President Trump: "Obamacare is a health insurance policy supported by low-class losers and slobs. It is time to repeal and replace it! (Thunderous Applause) Why should people only pick health plans from their state? Why should they be gouged by the insurance companies? Obamacare was a mistake and a huge handout to insurance. I'm going to fix it! (Thunderous Applause) Let me introduce you to Trumpcare. (Confused Murmuring) Every American will have the ability to sign up to a revamped Medicare. It'll be the classiest, most luxurious insurance plan in the free world. (Democrats start applauding, Republicans mutter) You'll be getting the same insurance as me, Donald Trump, and I'm worth 10 billion dollars! You know it's a quality product because it has the name TRUMP on it. Every American will get their classy gold Trumpcare card, and a doctor would have to be crazy not to take it. Of course, some slobs and losers will insist on keeping their insurance with the low-class bloodsuckers at the insurance companies, but what are you gonna do about that? (Democrats on their feet standing ovation, Republicans look very nervous) Trumpcare will drive down their premiums by competition. This plan will work even better than the new wall has. Have you seen that thing? It's the classiest, most luxurious wall in the world, and ours didn't take two thousand years to finish. Take that, China!" (Standing Ovation)
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 04:19:10 PM »

Well, he wouldn't be able to run for re-election as a Republican, and I doubt the Democrats would take him, even if he did deliver them single payer.  Trump would have to run as a third party. 

Seeing as how we're living in a bizarre world where Trump won the general election the first time around, I'd say he'd be the favorite to win in a three way race.

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 04:21:34 PM »

Well, he wouldn't be able to run for re-election as a Republican, and I doubt the Democrats would take him, even if he did deliver them single payer.  Trump would have to run as a third party. 

Seeing as how we're living in a bizarre world where Trump won the general election the first time around, I'd say he'd be the favorite to win in a three way race.

If his approval ratings were high, he could still get the Republican nomination. Rank and file Republicans don't actually mind socialized medicine as long as it isn't called socialized medicine. They aren't opposed to the mechanics (which seem common sense to most people), they just don't like the scary word.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »

I actually suggested something like that in IRC a few weeks ago.

At the State of the Union:

President Trump: "Obamacare is a health insurance policy supported by low-class losers and slobs. It is time to repeal and replace it! (Thunderous Applause) Why should people only pick health plans from their state? Why should they be gouged by the insurance companies? Obamacare was a mistake and a huge handout to insurance. I'm going to fix it! (Thunderous Applause) Let me introduce you to Trumpcare. (Confused Murmuring) Every American will have the ability to sign up to a revamped Medicare. It'll be the classiest, most luxurious insurance plan in the free world. (Democrats start applauding, Republicans mutter) You'll be getting the same insurance as me, Donald Trump, and I'm worth 10 billion dollars! You know it's a quality product because it has the name TRUMP on it. Every American will get their classy gold Trumpcare card, and a doctor would have to be crazy not to take it. Of course, some slobs and losers will insist on keeping their insurance with the low-class bloodsuckers at the insurance companies, but what are you gonna do about that? (Democrats on their feet standing ovation, Republicans look very nervous) Trumpcare will drive down their premiums by competition. This plan will work even better than the new wall has. Have you seen that thing? It's the classiest, most luxurious wall in the world, and ours didn't take two thousand years to finish. Take that, China!" (Standing Ovation)

The biggest problem with a Trump presidency is that Trump would attempt to solve every problem in this manner.

Long wait-times at the VA? Paint all the VA hospitals gold, rename them Trump Health, and hire blonde Slavic models to serve as nurses.

VA Secretary: "Mr. President, I'm not sure how this solves the long wait times at the VA hospitals."

Trump: "You think you can insult my VA? This is the classiest VA America's ever had. What's the problem?"

VA Secretary: "A simple prostate screening has to be scheduled three months in advance, and-"

Trump: "Yeah, because getting some creep's fingers shoved up my rear is exactly what we're all banging down the door to get. I mean, hey, maybe you're into that sort of thing. I don't know."

VA Secretary: "Mr. President, this is a serious matter."

Trump: "You know what, I don't like your face. SHUT YOUR FACE! YOU'RE FIRED!"
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 05:49:47 PM »

1964 CRA
House
R: 136-35
D: 153-91
Senate
R: 27-6
D: 46-21

Yeah, not a great comparison because it was pretty bipartisan and Goldwater is in the 6 nays, but for a second, let's imagine that several southern GOP Senators listen to the will of their people screaming for the Trumpster. Then imagine the Democrats nominate someone in the middle of the party that the astute, non-ideologue AAD Democrats would adore. (S)he opposes the proposal as being infeasible presently.

We would literally see a total realignment of the parties without very much change in their bases. That would be what we've been waiting 50+ years to see. A complete and total restructuring of what the parties stand for. Doubt the map would alter as dramatically, but I think the GOP voters may like it just as much as the Democrats. Whatever Trump says goes!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies