Trump vs. Megyn Kelly *UPDATE* Trump disinvited from RedState gathering
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:03:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump vs. Megyn Kelly *UPDATE* Trump disinvited from RedState gathering
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Trump vs. Megyn Kelly *UPDATE* Trump disinvited from RedState gathering  (Read 13265 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »

She really got under your skin didn't she?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2015, 08:26:29 AM »

Regardless of your opinion on Kelly, it's idiotic, crude, insulting, and unpresidential to respond how Trump did.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »

Regardless of your opinion on Kelly, it's idiotic, crude, insulting, and unpresidential to respond how Trump did.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »

I might agree to that, but that's something individuals can decide for themselves.  Megan Kelly is a shill and a yellow journalist; that's something I've decided for myself.

Trump gets mileage out of this because people are sick and tired of people cutting off discussion of the issues important to them.  Trump started a blunt discussion on illegal immigration and started a needed discussion on the value of Free Trade agreements, and these discussions are inconvenient to the elites who, through FOX News, get Megyn Kelly to shill for them.  She got called on it, and now all of American can watch the political elites close ranks in the name of "rebuking sexism".  Oddly enough, the folks acting bent out of shape over Trump's comments (which, I agree, I wouldn't have made) would have no problem if he told the President of Iran to "F--- Off!" and plunge us into war; that would be "getting tough".

Is Trump rude and crude?  Very much so.  Over the top?  A bit, yes.  Is that so much better than being screwed in a genteel manner by Bush 41 and Bush 43 over wars and trade?  Not really.  Is Trump's behavior so much less over the top than signing off on Jim Bob Duggar sending Josh to work with a family friend after molesting his sisters, as opposed to responsible therapy?  Is it less over the top than Chris Christie insulting schoolteachers? 

No, the real problem with Trump's behavior is that he's thrown a monkey wrench into the plans of the Political Class's agenda and called out their shills.  Can't have that.  If I were Trump, I would have toned down the sexist part of his retorts, while providing a national teach-in as to just what it means to be a "shill" and a "flunky" and use Megyn Kelly and Frank Luntz as exhibits A and B.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2015, 09:55:38 AM by Torie »

Now that we have throughly discussed the Meghan Kelly issue (I'm a big fan of hers, but I digress), the real reason why Trump will not fade away anytime soon is available here. In many ways, this portends what I think may emerge as the real and most damaging split in the Pub party, now that intra-Pub divisive social issues are largely off the radar screen really. Personally, I would immediate vote for Hillary if the Pub nominee is a protectionist (ditto for Huckabee and Santorum, although along with Trump, there are other reasons I can't vote for them). That is a deal breaker for me, for both economic and moral reasons.

Hey, if you really love wars, Trump may be even better than Graham. With Graham one only gets a ground war or two, while with Trump, you not only get that, but a trade war as well.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »

I might agree to that, but that's something individuals can decide for themselves.  Megan Kelly is a shill and a yellow journalist; that's something I've decided for myself.

Trump gets mileage out of this because people are sick and tired of people cutting off discussion of the issues important to them.  Trump started a blunt discussion on illegal immigration and started a needed discussion on the value of Free Trade agreements, and these discussions are inconvenient to the elites who, through FOX News, get Megyn Kelly to shill for them.  She got called on it, and now all of American can watch the political elites close ranks in the name of "rebuking sexism".  Oddly enough, the folks acting bent out of shape over Trump's comments (which, I agree, I wouldn't have made) would have no problem if he told the President of Iran to "F--- Off!" and plunge us into war; that would be "getting tough".

Is Trump rude and crude?  Very much so.  Over the top?  A bit, yes.  Is that so much better than being screwed in a genteel manner by Bush 41 and Bush 43 over wars and trade?  Not really.  Is Trump's behavior so much less over the top than signing off on Jim Bob Duggar sending Josh to work with a family friend after molesting his sisters, as opposed to responsible therapy?  Is it less over the top than Chris Christie insulting schoolteachers? 

No, the real problem with Trump's behavior is that he's thrown a monkey wrench into the plans of the Political Class's agenda and called out their shills.  Can't have that.  If I were Trump, I would have toned down the sexist part of his retorts, while providing a national teach-in as to just what it means to be a "shill" and a "flunky" and use Megyn Kelly and Frank Luntz as exhibits A and B.

Megyn Kelly is a smart, articulate, and yes very attractive woman. I'm sure you enjoy the attractive part without appreciating the smart and articulate part.

Yes, Donald Trump is a lover of Saddam Hussein. That has been clearly established. Despite Saddam murdering 2 million people, placing his own people in political prison camps, having had lied to weapons inspectors countless times, having sent WMD into Syria possibly, and having definitely had the capacity to acquire WMD, Donald Trump still showed the completely lack of judgement to oppose the war. I get the fact that Jeb Bush has to say his brother was wrong to go into Iraq, but in reality it was the right decision and it still was even knowing what we know now.

Yes, Donald Trump hates brown people. Despite the fact that legal immigration leads to saving or creating jobs, higher home values, and more small businesses, Donald Trump would rather call these illegals "rapists" and "drug dealers." Yes, some are. But not the majority. Also, illegal border crossings are DOWN. We have not built a wall, but we have boots on the ground thanks to a 2004 executive order by George W. Bush.

Yes, Donald Trump hates free markets. Free trade has reduced the cost of certain consumer goods and has enabled people to be able to find bargains at places such as Walmart. Free trade has helped create jobs in sectors dependent on exports. These jobs, on average, pay 15% higher than jobs not related to exports. There are 500,000 unfilled manufacturing jobs in America, it is ridiculous to say that free trade has hurt the U.S.

Donald Trump's comments towards women, the media, his fellow candidates, and John McCain are vile. To compare his conduct to Mike Huckabee's is absolutely absurd. Also, the way Chris Christie handled bridgegate is a testament to his leadership. I've seen the damage of Christie's policies in New Jersey, but he handled bridgegate well and took responsibility. Christie apologized for the illegal actions of staffers he had hired, when was the last time Trump said sorry for anything?

The Republican National Committee is in business to win elections. Donald Trump would absolutely destroy the GOP brand for a decade. Furthermore, if he's such a "non-politician" then how come he flip-flops every chance he gets? How come he dodges questions every chance he gets? The fact is, Trump is acting more like a politician than career politicians in this election.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »

Megyn Kelly is a smart, articulate, and yes very attractive woman. I'm sure you enjoy the attractive part without appreciating the smart and articulate part.

Yes, Donald Trump is a lover of Saddam Hussein. That has been clearly established. Despite Saddam murdering 2 million people, placing his own people in political prison camps, having had lied to weapons inspectors countless times, having sent WMD into Syria possibly, and having definitely had the capacity to acquire WMD, Donald Trump still showed the completely lack of judgement to oppose the war. I get the fact that Jeb Bush has to say his brother was wrong to go into Iraq, but in reality it was the right decision and it still was even knowing what we know now.

Yes, Donald Trump hates brown people. Despite the fact that legal immigration leads to saving or creating jobs, higher home values, and more small businesses, Donald Trump would rather call these illegals "rapists" and "drug dealers." Yes, some are. But not the majority. Also, illegal border crossings are DOWN. We have not built a wall, but we have boots on the ground thanks to a 2004 executive order by George W. Bush.

Yes, Donald Trump hates free markets. Free trade has reduced the cost of certain consumer goods and has enabled people to be able to find bargains at places such as Walmart. Free trade has helped create jobs in sectors dependent on exports. These jobs, on average, pay 15% higher than jobs not related to exports. There are 500,000 unfilled manufacturing jobs in America, it is ridiculous to say that free trade has hurt the U.S.

Donald Trump's comments towards women, the media, his fellow candidates, and John McCain are vile. To compare his conduct to Mike Huckabee's is absolutely absurd. Also, the way Chris Christie handled bridgegate is a testament to his leadership. I've seen the damage of Christie's policies in New Jersey, but he handled bridgegate well and took responsibility. Christie apologized for the illegal actions of staffers he had hired, when was the last time Trump said sorry for anything?

The Republican National Committee is in business to win elections. Donald Trump would absolutely destroy the GOP brand for a decade. Furthermore, if he's such a "non-politician" then how come he flip-flops every chance he gets? How come he dodges questions every chance he gets? The fact is, Trump is acting more like a politician than career politicians in this election.

I really find the last paragraph of this fascinating.  A political party is "a business"?  Really?  What are the implications of this?

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2015, 10:21:13 AM »

All Trump had to say was something along the lines of that he was in the entertainment business and has said many things over the years that were not meant to be taken completely seriously, and, regretably, some were perhaps insensitive toward women but that people should look beyond the things he's said in the entertainment business. We've all said things we'd like to take back before and he is no different. The fact that we're talking about this goes to show how far political correctness is out of control and how we should instead look at the deep challenges facing America and how he is that voice crying out in the wilderness who is alone willing to change the political culture of Washington.*

*I don't agree with everything in the paragraph but it's what Trump should have said

If he'd said that, he'd have come out looking great instead of unhinged to those outside his base of support. To his base of support, his every misstep is merely an example of the establishment being rigged against him because the complacent powers that be have far much money to be made from the status quo. But if Trump intends to win rather that just raise a temporarily stink, he needs to find a way to transcend his base of support and reach out to persuadable voters.

I watched the debate with my Mom, who by the way, knows very little about Trump or any of the other candidates. I thought as I watched it that Trump's base would think the debate was rigged against him and it would push them toward revolt. My Mom was revolted by Trump. It was apparent that whatever pathway Trump believes he has toward the presidency, it does not include the votes of many women, even those who normally vote Republican.
okierepublican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2015, 10:22:20 AM »

I have doubts about his sanity.

If he has problems with Frank Luntz and Megyn Kelly -- think of the trouble that he will have with Rachel Maddow. 

Oh thats going to be fantastic. When is MSNBC holding a debate.

Never.  The Republicans won't do debates with MSNBC anymore.

Even more emblematic of the problem with the Republicans: unwilling to listen to ideas outside of their sphere.

Tell me when the democrats are having a debate on fox.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »

Trump picked the wrong target. If he wanted a specific person besides 'Fox' in general he should have gone after Roger Ailes. He should have invoked the GOP insider conspiracy angle, as pushed by Rush. If he had to go after her, he could have even said "I feel sorry for Megyn, but was just following orders..."

It's not just that she is a woman, but it is petty to go after a specific journalist. Go after the head of the beast...Ailes.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »

Trump picked the wrong target. If he wanted a specific person besides 'Fox' in general he should have gone after Roger Ailes. He should have invoked the GOP insider conspiracy angle, as pushed by Rush. If he had to go after her, he could have even said "I feel sorry for Megyn, but was just following orders..."

It's not just that she is a woman, but it is petty to go after a specific journalist. Go after the head of the beast...Ailes.

Yes, that would have been a better strategy, and it's not too late!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2015, 11:33:12 AM »

https://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6wkgx8AdQ1qihztbo1_250.gif
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2015, 12:09:16 PM »

I really find the last paragraph of this fascinating.  A political party is "a business"?  Really?  What are the implications of this?

The implications are that they won in 2014, 2012, and 2010. That's what the RNC is supposed to do, win elections. They aren't there to pick candidates in the primaries, but what occurs in primaries can affect general election outcomes. The RNC chairman asking Trump to tone down his tone idiocy is a request, not a demand because the RNC can't endorse, it's against their rules in primaries.

This class warfare, anti-business kick you are engaged in is typical left wing dribble.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2015, 12:34:57 PM »

LOL.

https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/630068675035402240

Guy who called Wendy Davis "Abortion Barbie" & said Michelle Obama & Tammy Duckworth speeches were "Vagina Monologues" now upset at Trump?
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2015, 12:45:38 PM »

LOL.

https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/630068675035402240

Guy who called Wendy Davis "Abortion Barbie" & said Michelle Obama & Tammy Duckworth speeches were "Vagina Monologues" now upset at Trump?

And David Souter stuff that I probably can't write here.

Erickson is a prick...and I say that as someone who doesn't really like Trump.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »

Trump is such a cowardly little b*tch. Must feel like a real tough big guy when he insults women based on their physical features and gender. He's so f-ing pathetic; his trolling of the GOP establisment isn't even funny anymore, it's just stupid.

Oh and if and of you dumbs whine about political correctness, you are worse than anyone being "politically correct". Youjust wwant to be a bitchy white guy and rage against the consequences of people calling you out on your sh*t
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »

There's a difference between overt political correctness and someone being a jackass and being called out for it. Trump has not just crossed that line, he runs around that line over and over again.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »

There's a difference between overt political correctness and someone being a jackass and being called out for it. Trump has not just crossed that line, he runs around that line over and over again.

Amen to this. As much as I hate political correctness, not being a chode is a requirement. My only problem is that many people assume that nice behavior means that only certain political ideas are permitted.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2015, 01:47:18 PM »

Amen to this. As much as I hate political correctness, not being a chode is a requirement. My only problem is that many people assume that nice behavior means that only certain political ideas are permitted.

And that's my point about Trump; his IDEAS are what's not permitted.  His loutishness is an excuse to preempt his ideas being presented in meaningful forums.

The voters can punish Trump if they believe he's too over the top, not Presidential, etc.  Excluding the front-runner from an event for ANY reason is preemption.  Elitist preemption at that.  Let the voters hear Trump, let them hear Trump alongside all the others, and then let them make up their minds.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2015, 02:24:20 PM »

And that's my point about Trump; his IDEAS are what's not permitted.  His loutishness is an excuse to preempt his ideas being presented in meaningful forums.

The voters can punish Trump if they believe he's too over the top, not Presidential, etc.  Excluding the front-runner from an event for ANY reason is preemption.  Elitist preemption at that.  Let the voters hear Trump, let them hear Trump alongside all the others, and then let them make up their minds.

The last thing Trump should want is for GOP primary voters to know his ideas. Universal health care, a 14% wealth tax, being pro-choice, gun control, and protectionism are all positions he has taken. Those positions are the opposite of Republican positions.

Also, the problem for Trump's supporters isn't that he was excluded from the debates, it's that he completely flopped and was embarrassed in front of 24 million people. He even made Ben Carson look somewhat articulate for crying out loud.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »

The last thing Trump should want is for GOP primary voters to know his ideas. Universal health care, a 14% wealth tax, being pro-choice, gun control, and protectionism are all positions he has taken. Those positions are the opposite of Republican positions.

Also, the problem for Trump's supporters isn't that he was excluded from the debates, it's that he completely flopped and was embarrassed in front of 24 million people. He even made Ben Carson look somewhat articulate for crying out loud.

Well, those ideas that conflict with the Republican Party all became public in the Fox News debate, and he did not hide them. Looks like including him in the debate was actually a boon for the GOP.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »

Well, those ideas that conflict with the Republican Party all became public in the Fox News debate, and he did not hide them. Looks like including him in the debate was actually a boon for the GOP.

Agreed.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2015, 02:42:43 PM »

I think Trump's heterodox economic views are less of a hamper to the sectors of the GOP base than you might otherwise think. There's a reason, say, Nigel Farage or Marine Le Pen position themselves with populist approaches to healthcare and tax.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »

And that's my point about Trump; his IDEAS are what's not permitted.  His loutishness is an excuse to preempt his ideas being presented in meaningful forums.

The voters can punish Trump if they believe he's too over the top, not Presidential, etc.  Excluding the front-runner from an event for ANY reason is preemption.  Elitist preemption at that.  Let the voters hear Trump, let them hear Trump alongside all the others, and then let them make up their minds.

I think Trump's heterodox economic views are less of a hamper to the sectors of the GOP base than you might otherwise think. There's a reason, say, Nigel Farage or Marine Le Pen position themselves with populist approaches to healthcare and tax.

Agreed.  Framing left-wing economic ideas in nationalistic imagery ("Let's make America win again!" rather than "Black lives matter"/"Think of the starving children") can make them popular among the "beer track" of the GOP base.  
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2015, 11:59:36 PM »

Bloomberg has a roundup of some of the reaction to this dustup from other Republicans:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-08-08/redstate-disinvites-trump-over-kelly-comment-fiorina-defends-moderator

Priebus has cancelled a Sunday morning appearance on "Face the Nation", possibly because he doesn't want to answer questions about Trump.  Rubio also says he doesn't want to talk about Trump's comments, though several other 2016ers (like Bush, Fiorina, Graham, Huckabee, Walker…) say that he should at least apologize.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies