Who won the Paul vs. Christie Battle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:27:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who won the Paul vs. Christie Battle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who won in tonights debate?
Rand Paul

Chris Christie

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Who won the Paul vs. Christie Battle  (Read 4533 times)
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2015, 01:58:18 AM »

Arguably the best moment of the debate. It was intense, both came out swinging. Personally I think Paul won although that may be because I'm pretty biased towards him.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 02:01:13 AM »

Christie may have won the battle because most of the GOP primary vote is olds. But Paul probably won the war because younger people more then likely agree with him.

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 03:21:33 AM »

Christie. Paul was pretty ridiculous.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 03:27:49 AM »

eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 03:30:48 AM »

Christie was emotional, while Paul was stiff, rude (talking over Christie) and pedantic. Emotional always wins over stiffness, even with Republican voters (perhaps especially with Republican voters).

Also Christie is right that it's pretty darn impossible to gather more information on potential terrorists and less on everyone else until you know who might actually commit terrorist attacks in the future.
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 03:35:44 AM »

In a way it was a tie. Rand Paul with his principals, which will defiantly sway the conspiracy and libertarian crowds that support him. However, a lot of pro-war, do anything to stop the enemy supporters will be clearly alienated by him.

Which is why Chris Christie is able to "pull some weight" on their little debate. His pro-NSA and pro-war speech will sure draw support from many conservatives.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 03:58:40 AM »

Unfortunately the fatty made a more resonant message.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 04:19:04 AM »

I hate to be mean or a douche or anything, but you keep typing "defiantly" when you mean "definitely."
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 05:33:58 AM »

Chris
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 05:35:34 AM »

Paul got the partisan jab about Obama across, although he could have done better than just screaming bill of rights
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 05:36:39 AM »

I hate to be mean or a douche or anything, but you keep typing "defiantly" when you mean "definitely."

Forgive me! I need to learn how to proof read more. I've been sick and lazy to care if my spelling and grammar is accurate. Thanks anyway.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 07:30:42 AM »

Clearly Paul. Christie came off as stupid and looked like a dictator. "Oh how are we supposed to respect the Bill of Rights?" Paul obliterated his answers and pointed out how he used warrants. His 9/11 comments did not resonate as well.
LOL. Rand came off as stupid and expecially desperate, with his comments against Trump (that killed Paul with "you are having an hard time tonight") and with his comment about the Obama-Christie hug.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 07:39:04 AM »

A tie. They both lost, while the audience won in the sense of getting some great entertainment.
mencken
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »

A tie. They both lost, while the audience won in the sense of getting some great entertainment.

This, although Paul "won" by a hair with his "hug" jab.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 08:05:30 AM »

Christie on style and substance. Paul sounded more like a Democrat.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 08:27:17 AM »

I'd say Paul narrowly, thanks to Christie's pathetic 9/11 plea.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »

Like Paul and hate Christie but Christie won that battle, very very poor showing for Rand Paul last night, disappointing.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 08:56:27 AM »

Christie may have won the battle because most of the GOP primary vote is olds. But Paul probably won the war because younger people more then likely agree with him.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 09:19:35 AM »

Like Paul and hate Christie but Christie won that battle, very very poor showing for Rand Paul last night, disappointing.

Agree on all of this.

In a real way, Christie was the second biggest winner of last night's debate (behind John Kasich).  He was a guy who was in some danger of being winnowed out of the top tier.  Folks had been progressively dismissing him as being unviable.  Last night, Christie fought back in a way that, I believe, will cause people to "take a second look" at him, at least for VP.  Perhaps the Bridgegate stuff will become partisan noise after all.  

Christie, a guy who's big negative is being an unlikeable blowhard, came off as more likeable than a guy who, until recently, polled better against Hillary Clinton than the rest of the field.  I'd say that's a working definition of an overachiever.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 09:24:47 AM »

Christie won the logic behind the data collection, but his 9/11 plea was cringe-worthy.

If he had the balls he would have told Paul that he hugged the President because his state was just wrecked by a hurricane and he's not going to play politics in a time like that.

But the audience was GOP primary voters, and that wouldn't have gone over well with them. So mention 9/11 instead.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 09:34:52 AM »

Christie won the logic behind the data collection, but his 9/11 plea was cringe-worthy.

If he had the balls he would have told Paul that he hugged the President because his state was just wrecked by a hurricane and he's not going to play politics in a time like that.

But the audience was GOP primary voters, and that wouldn't have gone over well with them. So mention 9/11 instead.
Absurd

Rand Paul is playing politics with national security. I agree with him that the NSA collecting bulk data from everyone is unconstitutional, but that does not mean the NSA should not collect any data at all - the NSA must abide by the Patriot Act.

Chris Christie did evoke emotion into the debate, but this is an area where emotion is warranted. Christie made a sound, logical, and emotional argument, I am a critic of his, but in this instance, Christie was pure genius. Christie explained that we have to protect this country, and he made Paul look bad by telling him he's just a legislator.

Rand Paul gave one of the worst responses ever when he said that Christie hugged Obama. Christie then turned that statement around and completely owned Paul.

To be fair, Rand Paul had a very good night. He owned Donald Trump within two minutes of the start of the debate, and he made the case that he's a "different kind of Republican." But, Chris Christie had the best night of anyone up there, and part of it was how badly he owned Paul in their exchange.

To be fair, if people actually researched Christie's record in New Jersey, they'd know he has no credibility, but on style, Christie won the debate.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 10:11:53 AM »

Both of them lost by looking unpresidential and using blatant appeals to emotion but I agree with Menckhen that Paul "won" with that hug joke. The audience ate that up.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 10:29:50 AM »

I'd say Christie, but, then again, I am strongly biased towards his position on the NSA and think that Paul's doesn't even make sense.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »

That said, I think the "you once hugged a negro" jab was a pretty effective line by Paul, no matter how much the fatarse tried to splutter and explain himself.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 03:20:17 PM »

I agreed more with Paul (though I'm somewhere between their positions) - but Christie won it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies