Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:37:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108903 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: October 11, 2015, 12:29:27 AM »

McGovern Campaign Schedule, May 7 - 23

Tuesday, May 7:  NEBRASKA
Omaha - Policy Speech on "Restoring Our Democracy"
Lincoln - Final Speech to Campaign Volunteers
Grand Island - Barnstorming

Lincoln, NE

Tuesday, May 8:  CONNECTICUT
Hartford - Policy Speech on "Ending the Senseless Waste of Human Life in SE Asia"
New Haven - Barnstorming
Stamford - Final Speech to Campaign Volunteers

Wednesday, May 9:  WEST VIRGINIA/WASHINGTON D.C.
Charleston - Policy Speech on "Ending the Tyranny of the Few over Lives of the Many"
Morgantown - Final Speech to Campaign Volunteers
Washington D.C. - Congressional Duties

Charleston, WV

Thursday,  May 10: MICHIGAN
Detroit - Policy Speech on "Combating Inflation and Unemployment"
Lansing - Town Hall
Kalamazoo - Barnstorming

Friday, May 11:  MICHIGAN
Grand Rapids - Town Hall
Flint - Town Hall
Holland - Barnstorming

Saturday, May 12: MICHIGAN
Ann Arbor - Policy Speech on "Jobs, Wages, Rights, and Dignity"
Traverse City - Town Hall
Mackinaw City - Barnstorming

Ann Arbor, MI

Sunday, May 13:  MICHIGAN/MARYLAND
Detroit - Final Speech to Campaign Volunteers
Dearborn - Barnstorming
Ocean City - Barnstorming

Monday, May 14:  MARYLAND
Baltimore - Policy Speech on "Job Creation as a Means to Change Welfare"
Frederick - Barnstorming
Rockville - Town Hall

Tuesday, May 15:  MARYLAND/WASHINGTON
Annapolis - Final Speech to Campaign Volunteers
Spokane - Barnstorming
Olympia - Town Hall

Annapolis, MD

Wednesday, May 16:  WASHINGTON/WASHINGTON D.C.
Seattle - Policy Speech on "Tax Reform for Economic Justice"
Tacoma - Final Speech to Campaign Volunteers

Seattle, WA

Thursday,  May 17:  RHODE ISLAND
Providence - Policy Speech on "Ending Tax Cuts for Big Corporations"
Narragansett - Barnstorming
Westerly - Town Hall

Friday, May 18:  OREGON
Portland - Policy Speech on "Collective Bargaining as a Right"
Beaverton - Barnstorming
Seaside -  Barnstorming

Saturday, May 19: OREGON
Salem - Town Hall
Medford -  Town Hall
Corvallis - Town Hall

Sunday, May 20:  OREGON/CALIFORNIA
Eugene - Town Hall
Portland - Final Speech to Campaign Volunteers
Los Angeles - Policy Speech on "Environmental Protections Benefits Us All"

Monday, May 21:  CALIFORNIA
San Francisco - Policy Speech on "Unenforced Equal Rights means INequality"
San Jose - Town Hall
Palm Springs - Barnstorming

Tuesday, May 22:  CALIFORNIA
San Diego - Town Hall
Anaheim - Town Hall
Santa Monica - Town Hall

Wednesday, May 23:  CALIFORNIA/TEXAS
Sacremento - Town Hall
Houston - Town Hall
San Antonio - Town Hall

Thursday,  May 24:  TEXAS/NEW YORK
Dallas - Policy Speech on "Political 'Persuasion' is Just Another Way of Saying 'Coercion'"
Austin - Barnstorming
New York - Town Hall

Friday, May 25:  NEW YORK/RHODE ISLAND
Rochester -  Town Hall
Albany - Barnstorming
Woonsocket -  Town Hall

Saturday, May 26: RHODE ISLAND
North Kingstown - Policy Speech on "How Many Deaths is Enough to End This War?"
Bristol - Barnstorming
East Greenwich - Town Hall

Sunday, May 27:  RHODE ISLAND/WASHINGTON D.C.
Providence - Final Speech to Campaign Volunteers
Newport - Barnstorming

Providence, RI

DEBATE AND POLICY SPEECHES TO COME
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #776 on: October 11, 2015, 12:42:01 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2015, 12:49:35 AM by Speaker NeverAgain »

Debate Responses:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Question 1.) 1.- The Senate has seen a lot of debates on the issue of defence planning and defence spending, and indeed candidates like Senator Muskie, Senator Harris and Senator McGovern have been forced to intervene in said debates. Question to you all, which are your plans regarding defence and how to they differ from the rest of the field?

Question 2.) Welfare is also a theme hotly debated now, increasing calls not only from the conservative Republicans, but also from conservative Democrats, to cut on welfare spending. What are your plans regarding welfare, and can you provide concrete details of the sort of spending and initiatives you would like to see?

Question 3.) More and more elected officers of the Democratic Party have come out saying that victory for any of you on the primaries and first ballot of the convention is increasingly unlikely, stressing that this year's DNC could be more chaotic than Chicago 1968. Considering the level of division, who would you like to choose as Vice-President to, so to speak, heal the divide? Would you run with any of the other candidates?

Question 4.) The Paris Peace talks have all but collapsed as the United States resumes bombing operations in North Vietnam and South Vietnam is under attack. Should the talks be resumed at any cost?

Question 5.) To Senator McGovern: Senator, a unnamed liberal Democratic Senator was quoted by journalist Robert Novak as saying that, and I quote: "The people don’t know McGovern is for amnesty, abortion and legalization of pot. Once middle America—Catholic middle America, in particular"—once they find out, he’s dead." How can you respond to such a comment, especially from one of your Senate colleagues?

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #777 on: October 11, 2015, 12:49:19 AM »

Policy Speeches -

Farewell Campaign HQ Speeches

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #778 on: October 11, 2015, 12:50:36 AM »

Well, Senator, I thank you for your compliments about me. However, you didn't answer my question, really. You've laid out no clear strategy for our foreign policy. So, we leave Vietnam, and then what? How many countries would you let fall under communist rule in the next decade? How would you respond to the Soviets who are feeling more emboldened as of late? And what about the Chinese, who are beginning to become a major force in world politics? These are questions that the voters deserve to have answered, and so far, all I've seen of your record leads me to believe that the US would be greatly diminished as a superpower and other countries will push us over. This is an increasingly dangerous world and we need steady leadership to keep us safe from all threats, foreign and domestic.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #779 on: October 11, 2015, 12:55:41 AM »

Right, that's enough, 72' debates were not as nearly as exciting (and long).

I'll start working on full results now.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #780 on: October 11, 2015, 01:06:58 AM »

Waiting her excited for the upcoming results.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #781 on: October 11, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »

Well, Senator, I thank you for your compliments about me. However, you didn't answer my question, really. You've laid out no clear strategy for our foreign policy. So, we leave Vietnam, and then what? How many countries would you let fall under communist rule in the next decade? How would you respond to the Soviets who are feeling more emboldened as of late? And what about the Chinese, who are beginning to become a major force in world politics? These are questions that the voters deserve to have answered, and so far, all I've seen of your record leads me to believe that the US would be greatly diminished as a superpower and other countries will push us over. This is an increasingly dangerous world and we need steady leadership to keep us safe from all threats, foreign and domestic.

Mr. Mayor, I don't know how much more specific you want me to be. We must END THE WAR. The issue of Americans dying day-by-day is the most important thing to me, and I will say to most Americans.  I am, quite simply, fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in, of military spending so wasteful that it weakens our nation, and of claims that ending our military operations in SE Asia will de-stabilize the region.  What do you think is there now?  It's as de-stabilized a region as one can imagine - at least it is know since we invaded countries to "stop communism." I say here and now: As one whose heart has ached for 10 years over the agony of Vietnam, I will halt the senseless bombing of Indochina on Inauguration Day, and within 90 days of my inauguration, every American soldier and every American prisoner will be out of the jungle and out of their cells and back home in America where they belong. And then let us resolve that never again will we shed the precious young blood of this nation to perpetuate an unrepresentative client abroad.

Certainly, it is necessary in an age of nuclear power and hostile ideology that we be militarily strong. America must never become a second-rate nation. As one who has tasted the bitter fruits of our weakness before Pearl Harbor, 1941, I give you my sacred pledge that if I become President of the United States, America will keep its defenses alert and fully sufficient to meet any danger. We will do that not only for ourselves, but for those who deserve and need the shield of our strength—our old allies in Europe, and elsewhere, including the people of Israel, who will always have our help to hold their promised land.

But being militarily strong to protect ourselves and our allies is different than invading other nations to change political regimes.  The question, ultimately, is how to best protect our nation - and this war is NOT the way.  I can give you my foreign policy platform of dignity, honor, and respect for the world.  And the fact of the matter is, there is no respect in war, there is only bloodshed.  So, let us be resolved to protect ourselves abroad and perfect ourselves at home - and I urge you to join us in that plea, Mr. Mayor.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #782 on: October 11, 2015, 01:47:07 PM »

Results being written, so please refrain from continuing the debate. (Interesting as it is, I do have to read and rate all those large texts)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #783 on: October 11, 2015, 01:48:49 PM »

Results being written, so please refrain from continuing the debate. (Interesting as it is, I do have to read and rate all those large texts)
Got it, I will stop. Sorry - It's just really fun to wage histo-political war. Cheesy
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #784 on: October 11, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #785 on: October 11, 2015, 01:58:46 PM »

Meany endorses Sam Yorty:

Following months of silence (interpreted by many as a delay in the hopes that Former Vice-President Hubert Humphrey would enter the Presidential race), the key union boss George Meany, an extremely powerful figure in the Democratic Party has endorsed Los Angeles Mayor Sam Yorty (D-CA) for President, giving the Mayor a decisive boost in the final stages of Primary Season. While Mr. Meany emphasized the pro-union stances of other Democratic candidates like Senator Fred Harris (D-OK), he stressed that it was Yorty who fit the profile of the best candidate for the unions, stating his full support for the Mayor's strong anti-communist and anti-radical stances as well as his known stances on the Vietnam War. Meany also offered harsh criticism of the candidates more in the left of the party like Senator George McGovern (D-SD) and Congressman Morris Udall (D-AZ), denouncing a turn to the left from the party as "electoral suicide". It is believed this endorsement might prove very important in the largest states still left to vote.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #786 on: October 11, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »

Congrats Spiral!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #787 on: October 11, 2015, 02:07:01 PM »

There goes my chances in MI...
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #788 on: October 11, 2015, 02:16:03 PM »

I think the other candidates did indeed answer the question well - and I believe I answered equally as well, albeit differently.  Rather than focus on individuals, whether Vice-Presidential candidates or cabinet members or other Presidential selections, I choose to focus on the qualifications and attributes needed for the office and then find the person best qualified for the position.  Those qualifications include a strong stance on the issues I hold dear:  ending the war, supporting working families, fighting for civil rights for all in America, promoting education, and protecting American workers.  I think the American people want to know what a McGovern Administration would stand for rather than what it would look like.

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #789 on: October 11, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »

Sorry Lumine, I had to defend myself. ;-;
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #790 on: October 11, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »

For the love of god, stop posting on the debate...

I'm trying to get the debate analysis right, so I'm not acknowledging these responses.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #791 on: October 11, 2015, 02:19:44 PM »

For the love of god, stop posting on the debate...

I'm trying to get the debate analysis right, so I'm not acknowledging these responses.
Got it, sorry. ;-;
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #792 on: October 11, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »

Candidates go straight for the kill at debate:

Marking an interesting difference with an early debate before the New Hampshire Primary (with low viewership), the second democratic debate held before a series of key primaries was considered rather successful on account of the large viewership who tuned in to see the six remaining primary candidates battle it out. While polling on winners and losers was not conducted due to the expense, media and audience reports on the debate seem to agree on some basic results, the consensus being that far from securing a key victory for a single candidate the debate seem to hurt the Democratic field on account of the ferocity of the attacks, making earlier responses on party harmony and unity seem ironic.

In terms of those who lost the debate, it was broadly agreed that Congressman Udall did the worst. Despite being known for his wit and swift responses, Udall gave stark responses save for defending his minimum wage plan (still under fire at the debate and nationwide), stating his performance to be motivated by his desire to tell the truth, move which played badly. Next comes Governor Wallace, who despite delivering a blow which raised more than a few laughs ("Mr. abortion and pot legislator McGovern") was perceived to be taking very unpopular stances on nationalization and the draft (which he implied to support), along with what seemed like an abrupt change of position on Vietnam.

The middle ground was shared first by Senator George McGovern, who many pundits described as being a bit "forgettable" when it came to most of the debate time (failing to properly counter "acid, abortion and amnesty"). That said, McGovern seemed to excel at the Vietnam questioning, and his strong line to Mayor Yorty "END THE WAR" drew applause and excitement from many anti-war voters who feel unrepresented. Normally it would have been agreed that Senator Harris and Mayor Yorty could have claimed victory by themselves on their relatively strong performances, but most of the debate airtime was focused on both candidates destroying each other on national television, which significantly hurt both men. Harris was considered strong on his healthcare and economic questions, but the sustained barrage of attacks on busing and a position which remains confusing to the average American took their toll, private polling suggesting Harris's numbers to be evaporating in Michigan after the debate. Yorty, on the other hand, struck a cord on fiscal responsibility and his much lauded appeals to the fear and anger felt by many voters, but he was badly damaged over Vietnam as his position couldn't be more unpopular among wide sectors of the field, something Harris, McGovern and Muskie took full advantage of.

In the end, and to the surprise of pundits and the general public, it was Senator Muskie who was considered the debate winner by surpassing Yorty, McGovern and Harris's weaknesses. His campaign damaged over recent losses, Senator Muskie was perceived to have successfully aimed for the unclaimed center of the field, striking a very reasonable tone on defence. Liberals were also positively surprised on his strong pitch on healthcare and his perceived victory against Yorty on Vietnam (as the "Genghis Khan" comment was taken by virtually all as a joke, reflecting badly on Yorty's "overreaction), which allowed Muskie to finish strong by stating that he was learning from his mistakes.

All in all, it's an event that shows the strength and weaknesses of the various candidates in the field, which may have different results across the nation. All in all, pundits guess the largest effects will be felt on the Michigan Primary (where Yorty is expected to rise and Harris to suffer) and across the Pacific and Northeastern states, where Muskie might be able to stage a late comeback).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #793 on: October 11, 2015, 03:19:33 PM »

May 9th:

Democratic Nebraska Primary:

George McGovern: 47.22% (12)
Fred Harris: 18.56% (5)
Sam Yorty: 18.13% (5)
Ed Muskie: 13.90%
George Wallace: 2.19%

Democratic West Virginia Primary:

Fred Harris: 27.83% (12)
George Wallace: 26.79% (12)
Sam Yorty: 24.75% (11)
George McGovern: 12.65%
Ed Muskie: 7.98%

Democratic Connecticut Caucus:

Ed Muskie: 30.76% (20)
George McGovern: 30.02% (19)
Morris Udall: 19.01% (10)
Fred Harris: 13.32%
Sam Yorty: 5.06%
George Wallace: 1.83%
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #794 on: October 11, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2015, 03:36:17 PM by Kingpoleon »

Will there be another debate before the Convention Debate?

Also, do you have a list of days for the primaries & caucuses? I only found Rhode Island's and assumed Connecticut's was on the same day.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #795 on: October 11, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »

Will there be another debate before the Convention?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #796 on: October 11, 2015, 03:37:57 PM »

May 16th:

Democratic Michigan Primary:

Sam Yorty: 31.02% (49)
George McGovern: 22.22% (36)
George Wallace: 20.19% (32)
Ed Muskie: 15.13% (25)
Fred Harris: 6.12%
Morris Udall: 5.32%

Democratic Maryland Primary:

George Wallace: 25.32% (18)
Sam Yorty: 24.42% (18)
George McGovern: 23.11% (17)
Ed Muskie: 11.45%
Fred Harris: 9.13%
Morris Udall: 6.57%

Democratic Washington Caucus:

George McGovern: 36.29% (20)
Ed Muskie: 18.71% (11)
Morris Udall: 18.29% (10)
Sam Yorty: 17.52% (10)
Fred Harris: 7.58%
George Wallace: 1.61%
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #797 on: October 11, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »

May 23rd:

Democratic Rhode Island Primary:

George McGovern: 30.13% (8 )
Ed Muskie: 24.44% (6)
Fred Harris: 17.19% (5)
Morris Udall: 15.23% (3)
George Wallace: 13.01%

Democratic Oregon Primary:

George McGovern: 39.39% (16)
Sam Yorty: 23.48% (9)
Morris Udall: 17.72% (5)
Ed Muskie: 16.54% (4)
Fred Harris: 7.66%
George Wallace: 5.21%
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #798 on: October 11, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »

Note: Nixon won all but 13 delegates for Goldwater and a minor slate of 21 unpledged delegates in Michigan.

RICHARD NIXON WINS GOP NOMINATION!
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #799 on: October 11, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »

Prediction:

Texas was hard; I think McGovern will eventually pull ahead after Wallace and Harris split the conservative vote.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies