The Pentagon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:04:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Pentagon
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Pentagon  (Read 1981 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2005, 03:48:57 PM »

The Pentagon
This thread will be used for announcements relating to the Department of Defense (or Defence).
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 08:43:51 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The military of the Republic of Atlasia suffers from the taint of discrimination, since the law permits the discharge of a member of the armed forces solely on the grounds of sexual orientation. Such a policy is an absolute injustice, and should be ended as soon as possible.

I find no convincing arguments in favor of this policy. It has been argued that some members of the armed forces may not wish to serve with those of a different orientation. However, others may not wish to serve with those of a different gender, or those of a different race. It has also been proposed that the inclusion of gays would damage morale or good order. This notion, however, is grounded not in logic or reason but in bias and prejudice.

Some say that the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy is a suitable compromise. Under this policy, one's orientation is not an impediment to service, unless manifested by "homosexual conduct" (for instance, an open admission of homosexuality). But I wish to say that even this policy is intolerant. There is no logical reason for which an individual should be discharged from the military merely because he reveals his sexual orientation.

Unfortunately, it is not within the power of the Secretary of Defense to change this policy, which has been enacted into law. As a result, I call on any Senator to introduce a bill to end this inequitable practice.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 04:40:09 PM »

Mr. Secretary, would you care to comment on the new bill that I introduced today regarding the building and funding of new combat helicopters?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 05:12:06 PM »

Mr. Secretary, would you care to comment on the new bill that I introduced today regarding the building and funding of new combat helicopters?
It is my view that the acquisition of new attack helicopters is very wise. The procurement of new AH-64D Apache Longbow helicopters, which are among the most advanced in the world, is especially welcomed. Consequently, the Defense Department supports the bill.

As to the AH-1Z Cobras, I wish to make one minor point. The bill, as it currently stands, would provide Cobras to both the Marines and the Army. However, I believe that the Army uses the AH-64 Apache as the principal attack helicopter instead of the Cobra. The Marines are the primary users of Cobra helicopters. I think that the bill could be slightly changed by allocating the Cobras chiefly, or even solely, to the Marines.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 06:08:34 PM »

It is my view that the acquisition of new attack helicopters is very wise. The procurement of new AH-64D Apache Longbow helicopters, which are among the most advanced in the world, is especially welcomed. Consequently, the Defense Department supports the bill.

As to the AH-1Z Cobras, I wish to make one minor point. The bill, as it currently stands, would provide Cobras to both the Marines and the Army. However, I believe that the Army uses the AH-64 Apache as the principal attack helicopter instead of the Cobra. The Marines are the primary users of Cobra helicopters. I think that the bill could be slightly changed by allocating the Cobras chiefly, or even solely, to the Marines.

Hmm, thank you Mr. Secretary. I'll look into whether to allocate all AH-1Z's to the Marines, and if necessary I'll change the bill to read so.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 06:09:37 PM »

I asked in another question why procurement of new helicopters is needed. Did we suddenly lose a few marine attack squadrons?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 06:12:37 PM »

I asked in another question why procurement of new helicopters is needed. Did we suddenly lose a few marine attack squadrons?
No, but several attack helicopters have been shot down in Iraq and have yet to be replaced.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 06:13:47 PM »

Hmm, thank you Mr. Secretary. I'll look into whether to allocate all AH-1Z's to the Marines, and if necessary I'll change the bill to read so.

I will update the bill to allocate 40 AH-1Z's to the Marine Corps, and 10 to the Army.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 06:18:09 PM »

No, but several attack helicopters have been shot down in Iraq and have yet to be replaced.

I think procuring 50 new attack helicopters to replace a handfull lost is excessive. Besides, the supplemental covers combat loss replacements AFAIK

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 06:24:41 PM »

I think procuring 50 new attack helicopters to replace a handfull lost is excessive. Besides, the supplemental covers combat loss replacements AFAIK

Yes, they will be replacing shot down and lost copters. But, helicopters are also essential in the War on Terror, and they are good for guarding borders and close quarter combat. They are also sent in before ground troops to cover them. These are just some reasons why the AH-1Z and AH-64D are needed. Also Jake, whats AFAIK?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 06:37:06 PM »

Unless I see a really good reason for the need of these helicopters (and Jake's comment about the supplemental taking care of these things rings true to me), I see no reason to spend more money that we don't have towards something that really isn't necessary.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 06:42:48 PM »

Unless I see a really good reason for the need of these helicopters (and Jake's comment about the supplemental taking care of these things rings true to me), I see no reason to spend more money that we don't have towards something that really isn't necessary.
As one could probably tell from my confirmation hearing, I also feel that defense expenditure should not be allowed to rise excessively. However, in this case, there exists no Atlasian appropriations act that permits the replacement of lost helicopters. As a result, I find myself in support of this bill.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 01:28:36 AM »

I'll wait until the Senate opens debate on MAS's bill before going into it, but only Section II of his legislation is worth considering.  Section III would be opposed by the Army as they do not use the Cobra, and Section I is unnecessary due to the billions I redirected towards reviving the Commanche program.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 06:28:25 AM »

I'll wait until the Senate opens debate on MAS's bill before going into it, but only Section II of his legislation is worth considering.  Section III would be opposed by the Army as they do not use the Cobra, and Section I is unnecessary due to the billions I redirected towards reviving the Commanche program.

I have modified the bill to give all 50 Cobras to the Marines.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 04:12:44 PM »

Agreed.  I'd much rather spend the money to balance the budget or on counter-terrorism efforts.  If it can be proved that these helicopters are urgently needed to fight terrorism or that these helicopters are so exceedingly effective in millitary operations, then I may vote against the bill.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 04:17:40 PM »

Agreed.  I'd much rather spend the money to balance the budget or on counter-terrorism efforts.  If it can be proved that these helicopters are urgently needed to fight terrorism or that these helicopters are so exceedingly effective in millitary operations, then I may vote against the bill.

These are used for counter terrorism efforts.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 04:29:53 PM »

I suggest that the Senate hold a committee hearing on the bill, so that individual Senators would be able to get more information.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 04:46:59 PM »

I suggest that the Senate hold a committee hearing on the bill, so that individual Senators would be able to get more information.

All questions will be answered during the debate session for this bill.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 05:07:08 PM »

All questions will be answered during the debate session for this bill.

Yep.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 02:12:40 AM »

Responding to the people questioning the need for enw marine helicopters, I agree with Senator MAS.  The Marines use older helicopters that have been put to heavy use and this has worn the aircraft down.  They do need new helicopters, my only complaint is that we're already spending a large sum on the Comanche, which is a next generation technology that will entirely replace the Cobra, and its now not necessary to make to great an investment in new Cobras.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 04:47:15 PM »

Mr. Secretary, will Atlasia be recognizing BRAC's base closure rulings?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 09:09:44 PM »

Mr. Secretary, will Atlasia be recognizing BRAC's base closure rulings?
The Base Realignment and Closure Commission's recommendations are generally sound. Many of the suggestions will help save money without compromising security. For example, closures of Finance and Accounting Service Centers does not harm the defense of Atlasia. Also, the closure of a few unnecessary reserve centers is also warranted. The proposed realignments are also helpful. Thus, in general, I accept BRAC's suggestions.

I do think, however, that the closures of various forts, naval bases, and shipyards (as opposed to, for example, reserve centers) should be re-examined closely. These may potentially have a much greater impact on the defense of the republic; hence, they should be considered much more carefully.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 09:12:49 PM »

Responding to the people questioning the need for enw marine helicopters, I agree with Senator MAS.  The Marines use older helicopters that have been put to heavy use and this has worn the aircraft down.  They do need new helicopters, my only complaint is that we're already spending a large sum on the Comanche, which is a next generation technology that will entirely replace the Cobra, and its now not necessary to make to great an investment in new Cobras.

If that's the case, wouldn't we be better off replacing the cargo helicopters that saw service in Vietnam rather than the attack helicopters. I mean, the CH-46/CH-53 models are getting up there in years.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies