Presidential Survivor (ROUND 14)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:12:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Presidential Survivor (ROUND 14)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Presidential Survivor (ROUND 14)  (Read 15272 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2005, 10:28:06 AM »

FDR, he was such a terrible jerk to Herbert Hoover.

This front page of the New Yorker was canceled because of the failed assasination of FDR a week before. Too bad, because this is the best example of what a jerk FDR was:

Redefeatbush04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2005, 10:36:11 AM »

George W. Bush
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2005, 10:52:16 AM »

You shall pay for this Sam. Wink
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2005, 11:19:09 AM »

As much as I hate to, I am going to vote for Franklin D. Roosevelt.

It's a shame that the Democrats have started this aggressive campaign to get rid of the current president, when there's plenty of dead wood left that should be culled first.  I think it's premature to get rid of recent/current and highly consequential presidents, but if the Democrats want to push the issue, we have no choice but to fight back.  That's the only reason I voted for LBJ in the last round, and the only reason I'm voting for FDR now.

The Democrats didn't start this!  What do you mena fight back?  The Republicans have been on the offensive all game.  We've had our modern presidents knocked off one by one for a number of rounds now.  How many recent Republicans have lost?  I think we should be knocking off deadwood, but we have to unite to save a truly great president, and GWB seem to be the ony candidate we can unite around.   
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2005, 11:25:07 AM »

There was no concerted Republican attempt to go after a consequential Democratic president like LBJ or FDR until the Democrats started with this premature campaign against Bush. 

This is just plain false.   The Republicans almost got FDR kicked off in Round 4, completely unprovoked.
DanimalBr

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2005, 11:28:26 AM »

I guess I'd be wasting my breathe to remind everyone that is is JUST A GAME!!!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2005, 11:30:32 AM »

I guess I'd be wasting my breathe to remind everyone that is is JUST A GAME!!!

I think we all know it's just a game...but if we can't argue about it then what fun is it?
DanimalBr

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2005, 11:32:29 AM »

Ehhh, you got a point.   

DanimalBr

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2005, 11:40:36 AM »

Well, after 10 rounds of a fairly cooperative part to get rid of the dead wood, the volcano has finally errupted and we have an out right war going on.   I'm just gonna do my job and count the votes.   SO here's how it stands so far:

FDR - 14

George W. Bush - 12

Abraham Lincoln - 1

Herbert Hoover - 1

Chester A. Arthur - 1

Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2005, 11:47:46 AM »

It's a shame that the Democrats have started this aggressive campaign to get rid of the current president, when there's plenty of dead wood left that should be culled first.  I think it's premature to get rid of recent/current and highly consequential presidents, but if the Democrats want to push the issue, we have no choice but to fight back.  That's the only reason I voted for LBJ in the last round, and the only reason I'm voting for FDR now.

The Democrats didn't start this!  What do you mena fight back?  The Republicans have been on the offensive all game.  We've had our modern presidents knocked off one by one for a number of rounds now.  How many recent Republicans have lost?  I think we should be knocking off deadwood, but we have to unite to save a truly great president, and GWB seem to be the ony candidate we can unite around.   
FDR, for the same reasons as dazzle.

This partisanship has gotten out of hand.  I suggest a cease-fire: for the next three rounds let's all agree not to join in concerted* efforts to eliminate the following:
FDR (if he survives this round)
Truman
JFK
Reagan
Clinton
George W. Bush (if he survives this round)

Note that I left three Republican presidents off the list, but no Democrats.

* Concerted means concerted.  Individuals can still vote for whomever they like, but they should refrain from jumping on a partisan bandwagon simply to protect their own.  If the majority of voters agree to back off for three rounds, then the minority can still express their personal hatreds without starting a war.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2005, 11:50:54 AM »

Also:
It looks like one party is going to be really pissed off after this round: either FDR or W is going to leave.  That's why this cease-fire is so important.  It would be a real shame to see Reagan or Clinton go next round simply out of revenge.
DanimalBr

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2005, 11:54:02 AM »

I ain't gonna be pissed if W goes this round.   I'm happy he's lasted as long as he had given that at one point it looked like he was gonna be the first to go.   
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2005, 12:10:49 PM »

FDR, for the same reasons as dazzle.

This partisanship has gotten out of hand.  I suggest a cease-fire: for the next three rounds let's all agree not to join in concerted* efforts to eliminate the following:
FDR (if he survives this round)
Truman
JFK
Reagan
Clinton
George W. Bush (if he survives this round)

Note that I left three Republican presidents off the list, but no Democrats.

* Concerted means concerted.  Individuals can still vote for whomever they like, but they should refrain from jumping on a partisan bandwagon simply to protect their own.  If the majority of voters agree to back off for three rounds, then the minority can still express their personal hatreds without starting a war.

It's nice that the Republicans want to claim "bipartisanship" now that they will have eliminated FOUR modern Democratic presidents, while not a single Republican has been eliminated.  If you really want to be bipartisan, after you knock off FDR, let the Democrats knock off one president (whoever they want), and then we can talk.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2005, 12:11:27 PM »

FDR
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2005, 12:11:51 PM »

Also, I wouldn't care if you guys were targeting Clinton.  I think that would be a fair fight against GWB.  But FDR?  That's just wrong.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2005, 12:16:10 PM »

Also, I wouldn't care if you guys were targeting Clinton.  I think that would be a fair fight against GWB.  But FDR?  That's just wrong.

He'll win the game if he survives to the later rounds!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2005, 12:20:17 PM »

No he won't.  The simple fact that you can can eliminate him with a majority of all votes cast right now indicates that you basically have the power to get rid of him whenever you want.  Why now?
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2005, 12:24:07 PM »

No he won't.  The simple fact that you can can eliminate him with a majority of all votes cast right now indicates that you basically have the power to get rid of him whenever you want.  Why now?

He'll get to the final rounds and people will like him more than the alternative.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2005, 12:25:46 PM »

It's a shame that the Democrats have started this aggressive campaign to get rid of the current president, when there's plenty of dead wood left that should be culled first.

That's what I've been saying all along. Hell, I wanted people to vote for James Garfield, but almost no one did. g partisanship. If you people don't grow up, someone like Harrison is going to win.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2005, 12:31:26 PM »

Here's a ceasefire proposal that's fair: Every single Republican votes for W next round. After that, the good candidates are off limits until the deadwood is gone. If that doesn't happen, maybe it'll be best to boycott this game from now on.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2005, 12:57:12 PM »

why doesn't everyone vote on who they feel and not have to worry about other sides to the equation.  Democrats-choose W if you want to, but don't bitch if he's not getting off this round.  If you feel your being unfairly treated, convince more Democratic forumites to join the game.  Republicans, don't take voting off W as something personal.  You've done a good job uniting to get Wilson and Lyndon Johnson off, but don't get cocky, and don't bitch if W does get off this round.

I guess we need to vote off only the people we dislike (or we know won't do well on this island).  Up until the last few rounds, it was pretty nonpartisan, we should try to keep it that way.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2005, 01:04:05 PM »

Everyone Republican complaining about partisanship still voted for FDR.  If you guys want a cease fire, you have to be willing to give up something.   The Dems have already lost four modern presidents.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2005, 01:08:44 PM »

It's a shame that the Democrats have started this aggressive campaign to get rid of the current president, when there's plenty of dead wood left that should be culled first.

That's what I've been saying all along. Hell, I wanted people to vote for James Garfield, but almost no one did. g partisanship. If you people don't grow up, someone like Harrison is going to win.

That's what I'm afraid of - that we'll eliminate all the good choices because they're controversial, and can attract enough opposition to eliminate them at this relatively early stage.

The only reason I voted for LBJ was because the Democrats were voting for W, and it was the only way to save him at this stage.

I could well support a Democrat at the end.  My sense of partisanship fades the further back in history we go.

The only reason I voted FDR this round is because voting for him was the only chance to save W.  I don't necessarily oppose his elimination at some point, but I think it's crazy to be voting off recent presidents, for whom we don't have a good historical perspective, when there's still so much dead wood left.

Ideally, I'd like to see the consequential presidents go head-to-head after the dead wood has been cleared out.  But at the rate we're going, there won't be anybody good left after a few more rounds.

If the Democrats really want to eliminate a Republican, Nixon would be a better choice, and he's highly comparable to LBJ in certain ways.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2005, 01:47:56 PM »

How is Nixon comparable to FDR?  And if you wanted to see the consequential presidents head-to-head at the end, why wouldn't you support getting rid of GWB before FDR?
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2005, 02:01:02 PM »

FDR
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies