Repeal of Family Planning Amendments of 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:43:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Repeal of Family Planning Amendments of 2004
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Repeal of Family Planning Amendments of 2004  (Read 4690 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2005, 06:45:40 PM »

It's not as if this is any huge sum of money. 34 million dollars won't do much in terms of deficit cutting. Being the world's superpower, we have a responsibility to provide the services section A entails.

At least do not eliminate this under the false facade of deficit cutting, it is clearly a pro-life measure.

Why exactly do we have the "responsibility" to use American tax dollars to kill babies overseas?

It's contraceptive services Jake, not free abortions.

We already kill babies overseas, go to Iraq. (I don't blame the military for that, most of the time it can't be helped)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2005, 06:47:25 PM »

Well I applaud this momentous decision. I'm glad I was a part of repealing the Child Butchery Amendments of 2004 [that's what I call them anyway.]
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2005, 06:47:38 PM »

You have a spine on this, however...
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2005, 06:50:07 PM »

Akno are you stating that my Conservative views on abortion that made me vote for this have caused me to lack courage. If I was less of gentleman I would be insulted by this. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2005, 06:55:15 PM »

Well I applaud this momentous decision. I'm glad I was a part of repealing the Child Butchery Amendments of 2004 [that's what I call them anyway.]

Um, the UNFPA, according to Wikipedia, helps people to do the following things:

* Plan their families and avoid unwanted pregnancies
    * Undergo pregnancy and childbirth safely
    * Avoid sexually transmitted infections
    * Combat violence against women
    * Promote the equality of women

I've looked through this entire article on the UNFPA and have found exactly nothing claiming that they do anything with regards to abortion.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2005, 06:55:29 PM »

Akno are you stating that my Conservative views on abortion that made me vote for this have caused me to lack courage. If I was less of gentleman I would be insulted by this. Smiley

No, I'm hoping certain moderates don't go overboard trying to raise their approval ratings.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2005, 07:01:44 PM »

I see no reason to continue to give money to the UN over anything, much less crap like this. 
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2005, 07:04:40 PM »

Ah how far we have fallen. All the supposed great legislation of the first few sessions have now been wiped out. I suppose it was inevitable however, given the makeup of the forum.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2005, 07:07:59 PM »

There have been too many contradicting statements in this debate.  I change my vote to Abstain out of confusion.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2005, 07:59:40 PM »

I see no reason to continue to give money to the UN over anything, much less crap like this. 

Well, that's where we're going to have to disagree. Smiley  Given that the projected savings from this bill amount to approximately 0.005% of our deficit, and considering that I feel that the goals of the UNFPA, if realized, will eventually reduce the need for foreign aid, I consider it a worthwhile expenditure.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2005, 08:54:44 PM »

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2005, 08:55:16 PM »

Well, that's where we're going to have to disagree. Smiley 

Fair enough to me.

I might also note to the PPT that this has enough votes to pass at present, just in case he's forgotten.  Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2005, 09:47:04 PM »

Oh, right, whoops, I forgot that I was PPT again and that I have to take over now. Smiley

This legislation now has enough votes to pass; senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2005, 12:17:53 AM »

Aye
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2005, 03:17:57 PM »

Abstain
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2005, 05:04:19 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2005, 05:24:34 PM by Senator Sam Spade »

For all those who are abstaining or voting nay on this legislation, I might suggest they read Stephen Moore's article from the Cato Institute detailing the reasons why we shouldn't fund UNFPA.

http://www.cato.org/dailys/05-15-99.html

Specifically, I urge all those to note the UNFPA's fanatical support for the one-family, one-child policy of China, the most horrific population control program of this preceding century, imo.

It is no wonder then, that a person like migrendel proposed this legislation, being the noted supporter of infanticide that he was.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2005, 05:21:45 PM »

For all those who are abstaining or voting nay on this legislation, I might suggest they read Stephen Moore's article from the Cato Institute detailing the reasons why we shouldn't fund UNFPA.

http://www.cato.org/dailys/05-15-99.htm

Specifically, I urge all those to note the UNFPA's fanatical support for the one-family, one-child policy of China, the most horrific population control program of this preceding century, imo.

It is no wonder then, that a person like migrendel proposed this legislation, being the noted supporter of infanticide that he was.

Do you have any corroborating articles for this one?  I'm not discarding it outright, but I noted the great abundance of harsh descriptive language, which, to me, pretty much always lessens my impression of an article that's intended to inform.  In additition to that, the descriptive language seems to take the place of hard evidence, as I found nothing in the article that actually gives weight to its claims, which is, well, a further barrier for the article's credibility.

If you can give me an article that calmly presents evidence with an objective tone, I'd be more than happy to listen.

PS: Your link doesn't work; it should be "html", not "htm".
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2005, 05:35:24 PM »

http://www.cato.org/dailys/05-15-99.htm

Do you have any corroborating articles for this one?  I'm not discarding it outright, but I noted the great abundance of harsh descriptive language, which, to me, pretty much always lessens my impression of an article that's intended to inform.  In additition to that, the descriptive language seems to take the place of hard evidence, as I found nothing in the article that actually gives weight to its claims, which is, well, a further barrier for the article's credibility.

If you can give me an article that calmly presents evidence with an objective tone, I'd be more than happy to listen.

PS: Your link doesn't work; it should be "html", not "htm".

The fact is that if UNFPA is giving money to China regularly, the money is directly being used to support the one-family, one-child policy.

There are plenty of articles out there that show this is the case:

http://www.china.org.cn/english/2002/Jan/25148.htm
http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/mos/mos_14abortionchina.html

This is the original article that describes the reasons why the US pulled out of UNFPA.  The forced sterilization policy of China is the main reason.

http://www.state.gov/p/io/rls/rm/2002/13677.htm
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2005, 04:22:20 PM »

Can we present this to the President please?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2005, 07:55:51 PM »

With eight votes in favor to one against, and with one abstaining, this bill has passed.

I hereby present it to the president for his signature.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2005, 03:20:27 PM »

So...
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2005, 03:39:09 PM »

I am, myself, pro-life, but I do not feel that it is appropriate to allow personal views to get involved with what I believe is entirely legal. Like it or not, abortion is illegal under Atlasian laws. Thus, I do not really find restricting knowledge of something that - while you could argue is morally deplorable - is regarded as legal.

Senator Gabu has presented an excellent argument here, one which I cannot see too significant of a counter-argument for. Dislike of the U.N. aside, I have seen little proof that this minute amount of money relative to the overall budget is misused or misappropriated enough to be worth getting rid of.

I do, however, encourage more research to be made into the connection between this and China. If proved, this is absolutely unacceptable. I encourage the Senate to seek to create some sort of investigative body to assure that the UNFPA is not overstepping its bounds.
Is this a veto?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2005, 03:51:58 PM »

Frankly, I don't see how a connection between UNFPA and China has not been proven, since it's on the public record everywhere.  I have more links where those came from. 

This has more to do with their support of China's one-couple, one-child policy and abortion in general.  It also has to do with forced sterilization and infanticide subsidized and essentially promoted by these types of organizations through their support of China's stringent population control laws.

If anything, Gabu's links are quite vague and are the ones up for "interpretation".

Nonetheless, if the President decides to veto it, I will call for a veto override.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2005, 03:57:23 PM »

Frankly, I don't see how a connection between UNFPA and China has not been proven, since it's on the public record everywhere.  I have more links where those came from. 

This has more to do with their support of China's one-couple, one-child policy and abortion in general.  It also has to do with forced sterilization and infanticide subsidized and essentially promoted by these types of organizations through their support of China's stringent population control laws.

If anything, Gabu's links are quite vague and are the ones up for "interpretation".

Nonetheless, if the President decides to veto it, I will call for a veto override.
I'm all in support of a veto overide is Alcon vetos it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2005, 03:59:07 PM »

I'm all in support of a veto overide is Alcon vetos it.

So am I, though I hope Alcon decides to sign this instead of going that route.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies