New Mexico - Montana Regional Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 06:10:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New Mexico - Montana Regional Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: New Mexico - Montana Regional Bill  (Read 11620 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2005, 06:29:36 PM »

Gabu and I were talking and now I am curious to see what would happen if I were to introduce this filibuster amendment:

"Clause XXX: Homosexual acts within 100 feet of a Christian church in Atlasia shall be considered a crime against humanity."

Clearly this Amendment has nothing to do with the subject of State transfers; It is thus rejected under the SPR on Multiple Issue Bills.

I'd also point out that it would be rabidly unconstitutional on so many levels.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2005, 12:22:01 AM »

There will be no "trading" of states while I am around here.

Nay
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2005, 04:41:52 AM »

Ok, thanks Peter.  All clear to me now.

I would like to propose an amendment to strike Clause 2, and would also like to propose to amend Clause 3 to read:

Clause III

This bill shall take effect at the next scheduled Regional election upon approval by the State of New Mexico by plebescite and by the Midwest and Pacific Regions, as specified by Article 4, Section 2 of the Constitution.

Now that this amendment has failed, I would like to remind the PPT of my Amendment posted here as being the next in line.

I am still hopeful that True Democrat will change his mind on the Montana thingy, but until he does, I have no choice but to push this Amendment.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2005, 03:12:30 PM »

Nay
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2005, 03:17:00 PM »

Alright let me give my thoughts on this bill. First off I think it would be wiser for the two Governors in questions, Misters Wildcard and CheeseWhiz, to meet either in IM or converse through PMs about what they would want to do about this problem. If Cheesewhiz acquiesce to giving up New Mexico for nothing in return than that settles the issue otherwise the two governors will work together and with the people of there states for a compromise. Only after this happens though should the Senate become involved. The Senate should only rubber stamp the decisions of the regions and the citizens of Atlasia. We should not force anything upon the regions. If Mr. Wildcard and Mr. Cheesewhiz get together and come up with a compromise that is acceptable to both parties and the citizen effected than a Senator will propose a bill making this transfer legal.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2005, 03:28:44 PM »

With 3 votes for and 7 votes against, the Cosmo Kramer amendment has failed.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2005, 04:14:33 PM »

Colin, I think this is a wonderful idea, since I have serious objections to giving something for absolutely nothing.  But I don't have IM, so I'll have to PM him.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2005, 04:57:03 PM »

Fair enough y'all.

But remember this:  I won't rest until WMS is in the Pacific Region.

Smiley
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2005, 04:58:12 PM »

Fair enough y'all.

But remember this:  I won't rest until WMS is in the Pacific Region.

Smiley

Oh I'm sure some deal can be worked out Sam.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2005, 06:19:58 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2005, 06:23:55 PM by King »

Alright let me give my thoughts on this bill. First off I think it would be wiser for the two Governors in questions, Misters Wildcard and CheeseWhiz, to meet either in IM or converse through PMs about what they would want to do about this problem. If Cheesewhiz acquiesce to giving up New Mexico for nothing in return than that settles the issue otherwise the two governors will work together and with the people of there states for a compromise. Only after this happens though should the Senate become involved. The Senate should only rubber stamp the decisions of the regions and the citizens of Atlasia. We should not force anything upon the regions. If Mr. Wildcard and Mr. Cheesewhiz get together and come up with a compromise that is acceptable to both parties and the citizen effected than a Senator will propose a bill making this transfer legal.

I believe we already have regional and full public support of the Montana-New Mexico trade and any efforts to stop it in the name of negotiations are in vain, but the Southeast-Mideast deals are still in escrow. 

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2005, 06:25:26 PM »

I believe we already have regional and full public support of the Montana-New Mexico trade and any efforts to stop it in the name of negotiations are in vain, but the Southeast-Mideast deals are still in escrow. 

No, True Democrat, who lives in Montana, does not approve of the trade.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2005, 06:54:03 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2005, 06:57:34 PM by King »

Why does the Midwest even need to get something in return?  They currently have more people than the Pacific so losing a state would not hurt and we have to face the facts:  there is no state that wants to leave the Pacific, there is one that wants to join the Pacific, and there cannot be a compromise with the Midwest.  We must also remember that regionalism isn't about equal land size, it's about culture.  It's obvious that Montana and New Mexico residents feel more culturally tuned with the Pacific than the Midwest and we must accept that.

If Governor CheeseWhiz does not have a problem with it, I propose this amendment to give NM and MT to the Pacific:

"Clause II is hereby stricken from the New Mexico - Montana Regional Bill"
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2005, 06:58:42 PM »

Why does the Midwest even need to get something in return?  They currently have more people than the Pacific so losing a state would not hurt and we have to face the facts:  there is no state that wants to leave the Pacific, there is one that wants to join the Pacific, and there cannot be a compromise with the Midwest.  We must also remember that regionalism isn't about equal land size, it's about culture.  It's obvious that Montana and New Mexico residents feel more culturally tuned with the Pacific than the Midwest and we must accept that.

Cheesewhiz stated on this thread that he wouldn't accept nothing from the Pacific. He wants a fair trade between the two regions. Since True Democrat does not want to become part of the Midwest any movement of Montana from the Pacific into the Midwest would be unconstitutional, since I believe True Democrat is the only person registered in Montana. We cannot force these things upon the regions and we cannot force our edicts upon people who do not want them. This is why further negotiations between all parties in any exchange will be needed before any swapping or changing of regional boundries is done.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2005, 06:59:55 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2005, 07:02:47 PM by King »

Cheesewhiz stated on this thread that he wouldn't accept nothing from the Pacific. He wants a fair trade between the two regions. Since True Democrat does not want to become part of the Midwest any movement of Montana from the Pacific into the Midwest would be unconstitutional, since I believe True Democrat is the only person registered in Montana. We cannot force these things upon the regions and we cannot force our edicts upon people who do not want them. This is why further negotiations between all parties in any exchange will be needed before any swapping or changing of regional boundries is done.

That is why I am asking CheeseWhiz to face the facts, no PAC-MW border state wants to be in the Midwest!  I'm sure we can come up with  a compromise that would benefit the Midwest economically for their loss (which, if you look at the financial stats for New Mexico, is really not a huge loss).
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2005, 07:59:36 PM »

Can we just get this bill withdrawn and wait before the Regional governments agree before the Senate deals with the matter?  There's more pressing business we need to attend to.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2005, 08:00:23 PM »

I am asking for both sides to wise up and remember it's not smart to piss off the "swing voter from hell" over this.

Also, King.  I already proposed an amendment which is like what you proposed.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2005, 08:03:05 PM »

Can we just get this bill withdrawn and wait before the Regional governments agree before the Senate deals with the matter?  There's more pressing business we need to attend to.

As WMS is a good friend of mine and has been wanting this for ages, including running a write-in Senate campaign on it, I will not withdraw it, as I see no reason to withdraw it.

I would still at least like a vote on my amendment and on the legislation as a whole, regardless of what happens.

Then y'all can face the consequences as you may.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2005, 08:13:31 PM »

I'd have to agree with Sam: Give them a day or so to see if they can come to some sort of amicable comprimise, and then if they do, hopefully approve it. If not, then we should move on - but we should certainly let them try at this point.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2005, 08:14:23 PM »

If nothing else works, the state of Utah is okay with joining the Midwest if it means that WMS will finally be able to realize his dream. Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2005, 08:22:34 PM »

If nothing else works, the state of Utah is okay with joining the Midwest if it means that WMS will finally be able to realize his dream. Smiley

I would be fine with that compromise.  Smiley  I would also hope the other sides would be also.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2005, 10:25:20 PM »

As WMS is a good friend of mine and has been wanting this for ages, including running a write-in Senate campaign on it, I will not withdraw it, as I see no reason to withdraw it.

I would still at least like a vote on my amendment and on the legislation as a whole, regardless of what happens.

Then y'all can face the consequences as you may.

I thank the Honorable Senator Sam Spade for his staunch support for Freedom for New Mexico. Smiley I have been pushing this for a while, although I got delayed by the new Constitutional debate...geez, when did I start this, last October? Wink

And thanks to Gabu for offering Utah in sacrificetrade. Smiley

I'm sure we can come up with  a compromise that would benefit the Midwest economically for their loss (which, if you look at the financial stats for New Mexico, is really not a huge loss).

Hey! We have a larger economy than many other countries! Granted, they're all Third World countries that are either miniscule or hellholes, but still! Grin
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2005, 10:34:09 PM »

Ok, thanks Peter.  All clear to me now.

I would like to propose an amendment to strike Clause 2, and would also like to propose to amend Clause 3 to read:

Clause III

This bill shall take effect at the next scheduled Regional election upon approval by the State of New Mexico by plebescite and by the Midwest and Pacific Regions, as specified by Article 4, Section 2 of the Constitution.

Ok, Gabu.  With your acceptance of the deal and WMS', I'm going to withdraw the Amendment quoted above and propose a new revision to the legislation.

I motion to revise Clause 2 and 3 to read as follows:

Clause II

The State of Utah shall henceforth be located in the Midwest Region.

Clause III

This bill shall take effect at the next scheduled Regional election after approval by the State of New Mexico and the State of Utah by plebescite and by the Midwest and Pacific Regions, as specified by Article 4, Section 2 of the Constitution.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2005, 12:26:21 AM »

I really did not want to trade Utah. Its a state that holds great deal of sentlementle value for me.

Here's a question why can't True Democrat just move?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2005, 12:37:56 AM »

I really did not want to trade Utah. Its a state that holds great deal of sentlementle value for me.

Here's a question why can't True Democrat just move?

I just moved to Montana.  If worst comes to worst I will give up Montana and just move as soon as I can.  I don't want to stop the business of the Senate.  I would like this to be worked out without trading Montana, but if you have to, I am open to a trade.
Lt. Gov. Immy
Immy

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2005, 03:01:57 AM »

If giving up Utah means giving up Gabu then I won't stand for it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies