New Mexico - Montana Regional Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:38:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New Mexico - Montana Regional Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: New Mexico - Montana Regional Bill  (Read 11221 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2005, 02:41:52 PM »

I open debate on the following legislation, originally proposed by Senator WMS and now sponsored by Senator Sam Spade

The New Mexico - Montana Regional Bill

Clause I

The State of New Mexico shall henceforth be located in the Pacific Region.

Clause II

The State of Montana shall henceforth be located in the Midwest Region.

Clause III

This bill shall take effect following the next Regional election upon approval by the Senate.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 02:47:31 PM »

I propose this amendment.

The following will be added:

Clause IV
The Senate approves the transfer of the states of Virginia, Kentucky, and Oklahoma to the Southeast Region.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 02:52:14 PM »

Clause IV
The Senate approves the transfer of the states of Virginia, Kentucky, and Oklahoma to the Southeast Region.

It would seem to me that this amendment would make this bill address two entirely separate matters, which is prohibited under current resolutions, but as I can't do anything at the moment unless I get elected as PPT again, that's up to Peter for now.  Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 02:52:49 PM »

Well, I'm no Senator, but

A. Why bother?
B. Where is the Senate granted the power to define the regions?
C. I think this is unconstitutional by Article 1, Section 6, Clause 7 of the Constitution, as this bill forces the regions to cede land.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 02:53:43 PM »

Clause IV

If by some miracle it is found to be constitutional, I strongly urge the Senate to kill this amendment.  I won't sit back and watch my region get eaten away by land-hungry Southerners.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 02:56:31 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2005, 02:58:13 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

Clause IV

If by some miracle it is found to be constitutional, I strongly urge the Senate to kill this amendment.  I won't sit back and watch my region get eaten away by land-hungry Southerners.

I believe that, for regions to exchange, take, or give up land, it requires the approval of all governors whose regions are affected as well as the approval of the Senate.  Both governors have approved of the New Mexico - Montana exchange, but given that you're currently the governor of the Mideast, all you have to do to make Cosmo Kramer's amendment not abide by the Constitution is to say "no".

It's mainly for this reason that I say that Cosmo Kramer's amendment would make this bill deal with two entirely different matters.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 02:57:41 PM »

Clause IV

I believe that, for regions to exchange, take, or give up land, it requires the approval of all governors whose regions are affected as well as the approval of the Senate.  Both governors have approved of the New Mexico - Montana exchange, but given that you're currently the governor of the Mideast, all you have to do to make Cosmo Kramer's amendment not abide by the Constitution is to say "no".
Yes, that is what I intended.  I am fufilling the Senate part of the deal by proposing we approve the transfer, not nessicarily we are forcing it.  If it fails, it fails.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 02:59:19 PM »

Clause IV

I am not proposing the Senate force the transfer.  In fact it is required by the constitution that any changes have Senate approval.  I am anxious for the Southeast to have these states so I'm going ahead and proposing those changes. 
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 03:01:08 PM »

Clause IV

I am not proposing the Senate force the transfer.  In fact it is required by the constitution that any changes have Senate approval.  I am anxious for the Southeast to have these states so I'm going ahead and proposing those changes. 

I highly doubt you'll be getting those states from another region without giving them something in return.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 03:01:17 PM »

I suppot Clause I but not Clause II, Montana should still be in the Pacific Region.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 03:02:23 PM »

I'll try to address some of the issues here:

1. The Senate must consent or give permission for Region changes, and it can give pre-emptive consent also.
2. The Regions involved must themselves agree; The Constitution does not specify how they give this consent, and it is generally left to them to work this out for themselves. Failure to consent scuppers the transfer.
3. The States involved in the transfer may veto their transfer and effectively scupper the transfer.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 03:03:39 PM »

OK fair enough.  I'll be keeping an eye on this bill, but I'll also let it run its course.

For the record, I'm not going to be bull-headed about this.  I plan to involve the citizens of the affected states in my decision.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 03:06:25 PM »

OK fair enough.  I'll be keeping an eye on this bill, but I'll also let it run its course.

For the record, I'm not going to be bull-headed about this.  I plan to involve the citizens of the affected states in my decision.
That's fine.  You must realize though, that in Kentucky, both Ian and Southpark Republican have supported the transfer of Kentucky to the southeast region.  I don't know about Virginia, but the only people who have responded on the matter, AuH20 and A18 have supported it, to the best of my knowledge.  As well, Oklahoma's only resident, BushOklahoma, supports it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 03:11:23 PM »

That's fine.  You must realize though, that in Kentucky, both Ian and Southpark Republican have supported the transfer of Kentucky to the southeast region.  I don't know about Virginia, but the only people who have responded on the matter, AuH20 and A18 have supported it, to the best of my knowledge.  As well, Oklahoma's only resident, BushOklahoma, supports it.

As far as I am actually permitted to do so, I plan to discount Ian's opinion on this, considering he does not have a legitimate interest in the affairs of Kentucky.  I guess the same rule would apply to the people who are actually from Virginia.

In any case, it's all well and good having the citizens of those three states wanting to join the most conservative region - considering they're all Republicans.  What if, about a year down the line, the majority of those states' populations happen to be liberals more inclined to the North?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 03:13:13 PM »

As far as I am actually permitted to do so, I plan to discount Ian's opinion on this, considering he does not have a legitimate interest in the affairs of Kentucky.  I guess the same rule would apply to the people who are actually from Virginia.

In any case, it's all well and good having the citizens of those three states wanting to join the most conservative region - considering they're all Republicans.  What if, about a year down the line, the majority of those states' populations happen to be liberals more inclined to the North?
Ian is not conservative.  Neither is BushOklahoma, in particular.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 03:14:19 PM »

Folks, the law with regards to Regions is laid out in Article IV in the New Constitution.  The method by which a state is transferred is laid out in Section 2 of the New Constitution.

Please read your Constitution before you post here.

http://www.progressnj.com/atlaswiki/index.php/Second_Article_IV

For what it's worth, this New Mexico to Montana trade will have the support of WMS and I assume, the support of True Democrat.

Then if both Regional officials approve, which I think they will, there is nothing to worry about.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 03:23:10 PM »

Folks, the law with regards to Regions is laid out in Article IV in the New Constitution.  The method by which a state is transferred is laid out in Section 2 of the New Constitution.

For what it's worth, this New Mexico to Montana trade will have the support of WMS and I assume, the support of True Democrat.

Then if both Regional officials approve, which I think they will, there is nothing to worry about.

Actually, this switch does not have my approval.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 03:24:07 PM »

What would you rather have then?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 03:26:08 PM »

Didn't know that.  Thanks for clarifying.  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2005, 03:28:44 PM »

WMS:

Looks like you're going to have to find another state to switch with in this situation.

I think I know True Democrat's reason, but I could always be wrong on that.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2005, 03:29:58 PM »

So, with the only resident of Montana planning to scupper the transfer outlined in Clause 2, and me planning to scupper the transfer in the proposed Clause 4, is this bill really worth all the trouble?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2005, 03:35:28 PM »

So, with the only resident of Montana planning to scupper the transfer outlined in Clause 2, and me planning to scupper the transfer in the proposed Clause 4, is this bill really worth all the trouble?
Probably not.  As well, this was proposed by WMS.  He is no longer a Senator.  Is this bill still valid, anyway?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2005, 03:37:14 PM »

I will continue to push it for my old friend and fellow former Senator WMS, who hates being in the Midwest and wants to be in the Pacific.

If Montana doesn't want to be moved and this involves giving New Mexico to the Pacific without anything in return, I will push it also, for all Midwest Regional officials should understand the concern they will face going against the "Swing Voter from Hell".

Of course, if WMS wants to change his mind and continue his stay in the Midwest, I will respect that also.

I am curious as to what he wants right now, that will govern my actions on this legislation.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 03:38:13 PM »

Probably not.  As well, this was proposed by WMS.  He is no longer a Senator.  Is this bill still valid, anyway?

I am sponsoring this bill for WMS, because of long-standing want of leaving the Midwest.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2005, 03:54:07 PM »

As far as the existing bill goes (without the proposed amendment), does it seem fair that someone who doesn't actually live in Montana (and therefore doesn't have much of a vested interest in the state's affairs) should decide what happens to another state whose resident does actually live there?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies