NE2: Competitive Elections Amendment (passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:45:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Competitive Elections Amendment (passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NE2: Competitive Elections Amendment (passed)  (Read 1117 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:12:06 AM »
« edited: July 18, 2015, 05:14:07 AM by northeast speaker evergreen »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

sponsor: evergreen

Debate will end at 08:15EST on July 14th, unless an extension is required.
Debate will end at 20:15EST on July 15th, unless further extensions are required.
Voting will end at 05:00EST on July 18th.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:14:08 AM »

The Northeast has historically had trouble finding enough candidates to fill all five Assembly seats. This amendment is necessary to guarantee a competitive election and to alleviate the activity problems that are affecting all of Atlasia.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 09:32:33 AM »

Unless it's covered elsewhere, let me suggest this:

Or would we want 3/3?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 10:23:22 AM »

i mean a majority in a three-seat assembly is automatically gonna be at least a 2/3 majority Tongue

but that does remind me we should probably add something along these lines as well:

2. Article II, Clause 14 of the Northeast Constitution shall be amended to read:
[/quote]
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 12:04:17 PM »

^^ Okay, yeah, 3/3 for an override in a 3-seat situation would be best. Sounds good.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 09:43:43 PM »

Both the amendments are fine with me...
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 11:10:03 PM »

I don't quite get why this is necessary. We have a decent number of candidates for the Assembly every year, and we have people who are willing to step up to the plate to run even now.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 09:07:59 AM »

I don't quite get why this is necessary. We have a decent number of candidates for the Assembly every year, and we have people who are willing to step up to the plate to run even now.

i believe there are currently no candidates for the special election to replace castro.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 11:24:32 AM »

i believe there are currently no candidates for the special election to replace castro.

We just had a competitive Assembly election. And I'll tell you from private correspondence that there's someone who's willing to fill this position.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 11:57:39 AM »

good to know. fact remains that over the past year there have been three regular assembly elections where, effectively, any nut could write themselves in and get elected.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 12:52:01 PM »

good to know. fact remains that over the past year there have been three regular assembly elections where, effectively, any nut could write themselves in and get elected.

So what? I'm still opposed to this because it's an unnecessary change that's to the detriment of the Northeast.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »

it's not unnecessary when, de facto, only a third of our elections have more than five candidates on the ballot, and i have no idea in what way you think it's detrimental.

in my humble opinion, governor sawx, this kind of stubborn refusal to even consider trimming the size of the game is exactly what is killing atlasia.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 02:22:45 PM »

it's not unnecessary when, de facto, only a third of our elections have more than five candidates on the ballot, and i have no idea in what way you think it's detrimental.

in my humble opinion, governor sawx, this kind of stubborn refusal to even consider trimming the size of the game is exactly what is killing atlasia.

Because it's not necessary and the current system in the Northeast (not Atlasia, but the Northeast) is fine.

I'd like to counter that your condescending, combative attitude is what's killing Atlasia (see: Barnes resigning).
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »

Because it's not necessary and the current system in the Northeast (not Atlasia, but the Northeast) is fine.

I'd like to counter that your condescending, combative attitude is what's killing Atlasia (see: Barnes resigning).

with all due respect, the northeast is part of atlasia. you can't bury your head in the sand and say "let the other regions worry about it, things are fine here". and again, things aren't fine here, either. you can't have an interesting elections game without interesting elections, and we've had a grand total of two unsuccessful candidates for assembly over the past year. three if you count dempgh.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »

Okay, I mean you can be against this, that's fine, but I don't see that it's a problem or unnecessary. It gives flexibility in case we're down to literally handing out assembly seats, which I think you can argue should not be the point. I suppose something like this could always be done after the fact, like we had to do in the Pacific, but it might also encourage people to seek office to avoid dropping to three, IDK. But if we want to have five seats just because we can find five bodies to occupy them, then it might take a little of the fun out of it. 
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 04:25:54 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2015, 04:28:14 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

with all due respect, the northeast is part of atlasia. you can't bury your head in the sand and say "let the other regions worry about it, things are fine here". and again, things aren't fine here, either. you can't have an interesting elections game without interesting elections, and we've had a grand total of two unsuccessful candidates for assembly over the past year. three if you count dempgh.

Then that's the job of party leaders - only a few of which seemed to be encouraging their zombies to run and participate in the game.

Not going to even give a response to you ignoring (and continuing to use) a SirNick-esque lack of decorum since Day 1. Or the fact that you're saying that "any nut could write in an election" when you're literally advocating to ban calamari in the Northeast.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 05:39:25 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2015, 08:33:59 PM by northeast speaker evergreen »

Then that's the job of party leaders - only a few of which seemed to be encouraging their zombies to run and participate in the game.

again, we can't keep handing the responsibility over to others. sure, there are other ways to alleviate atlasia's inactivity problems, but that doesn't mean we should dismiss this one.

a frankly insulting comparison. i was a vocal opponent of sirnick since day one. and ofc his problem had nothing to do with a "lack of decorum".

edit: should be noted, also, that sirnick was strongly opposed to this proposal the last time it was being discussed

♪♫just because something is a (relatively) common practice doesn't mean it's okay♪♫
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 09:58:33 AM »

gonna extend debate an additional 36 hours
pikachu
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 04:11:47 PM »

Even though we have gotten 6 candidates on then ballot last 3 elections, I feel like there's a dearth of campaigning b/c the sixth normally some guy who just entered Atlasia...More pertinent to amendment itself, what would happen if a candidate accepts write-ins on the day of the election? Do we consider him/her as a 'candidate on the ballot' or do we just ignore that? 
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 04:17:23 PM »

Even though we have gotten 6 candidates on then ballot last 3 elections, I feel like there's a dearth of campaigning b/c the sixth normally some guy who just entered Atlasia...More pertinent to amendment itself, what would happen if a candidate accepts write-ins on the day of the election? Do we consider him/her as a 'candidate on the ballot' or do we just ignore that? 

yeah, if they're not listed on the ballot, they wouldn't count
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 05:10:12 AM »

we will now proceed to a final vote.

2. Article II, Clause 14 of the Northeast Constitution shall be amended to read:
[/quote]

The Northeast has historically had trouble finding enough candidates to fill all five Assembly seats. This amendment is necessary to guarantee a competitive election and to alleviate the activity problems that are affecting all of Atlasia.

representatives have 48 hours to vote.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 05:10:37 AM »

aye
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 05:05:34 PM »

Yes.

Okay, I understand the opposing arguments, but it just makes sense to me to introduce a measure like this. The thing is, this is not irrevocable. If there would be, like, an explosion in activity, we could expand the Assembly. But right now, that's not the trajectory we're on. So I'm not a pessimist, just a realist.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 02:13:52 AM »

NAY

Even when we had very few official candidates, we've been able to fill all 5 seats. So this amendment looks unnecessary. And I think I'm being realistic: I stick to the facts. Smiley
pikachu
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 06:25:59 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies