Jim Gilmore will run for president; formal announcement to come 1st week of Aug.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:14:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jim Gilmore will run for president; formal announcement to come 1st week of Aug.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jim Gilmore will run for president; formal announcement to come 1st week of Aug.  (Read 3716 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 05:57:51 PM »

Christie's antics are not too liberal, besides, when all comes to all, Trump is probably more liberal than Christie is. Just because Trump says that all immigrants are rapists or than Obama was definitely not born in the US, doesn't actually equate that he actually thinks so himself. He's smart enough to use the tea party energy to lift him up, though unlike Cruz, he's not stupid enough to actually let himself brainwash by all their garbage. Trump used to be a Democrat, and I still think he's a moderate, if you shave off all that nasty rhetoric of his. But will Republican voters actually realize this before it's too late? I'm not so sure. If The Donald were to reach the general, he would most probably shake off all his awful right wing rhetoric, at least most of it.

Trump is the most liberal candidate running on the Republican side, he's a protectionist who once championed a wealth tax and socialized medicine. But, Chris Christie's a big government Republican who expanded medicaid under Obamacare, supported tax breaks for a off-shore wind farm, and has presided over record corporate welfare.

Trump will fade, last time Perry, Bachman, and Cain all had similar polling numbers and it was ultimately a race between Romney, Gingrich, and Santorum.

Why is supporting tax breaks for an off-shore wind farm worse than what 99.99% of Republican politicians love to do, namely give enormous tax breaks to huge oil, gas and coal companies? Just because it doesn't contribute to global warming, it's officially morally wrong from a conservative point of view? Colour me surprised.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2015, 09:18:24 PM by dudeabides »

Christie's antics are not too liberal, besides, when all comes to all, Trump is probably more liberal than Christie is. Just because Trump says that all immigrants are rapists or than Obama was definitely not born in the US, doesn't actually equate that he actually thinks so himself. He's smart enough to use the tea party energy to lift him up, though unlike Cruz, he's not stupid enough to actually let himself brainwash by all their garbage. Trump used to be a Democrat, and I still think he's a moderate, if you shave off all that nasty rhetoric of his. But will Republican voters actually realize this before it's too late? I'm not so sure. If The Donald were to reach the general, he would most probably shake off all his awful right wing rhetoric, at least most of it.

Trump is the most liberal candidate running on the Republican side, he's a protectionist who once championed a wealth tax and socialized medicine. But, Chris Christie's a big government Republican who expanded medicaid under Obamacare, supported tax breaks for a off-shore wind farm, and has presided over record corporate welfare.

Trump will fade, last time Perry, Bachman, and Cain all had similar polling numbers and it was ultimately a race between Romney, Gingrich, and Santorum.

Why is supporting tax breaks for an off-shore wind farm worse than what 99.99% of Republican politicians love to do, namely give enormous tax breaks to huge oil, gas and coal companies? Just because it doesn't contribute to global warming, it's officially morally wrong from a conservative point of view? Colour me surprised.

I never said I supported tax subsidies for big oil etc.

President Obama and Chris Christie agree on tax breaks for wind, corporate welfare, medicaid expansions, and throwing more money at expensive failing schools. Christie should run as a Democrat against Hillary Clinton and seek Obama's endorsement, he'd probably get it.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »

Gilmore must know he won't get anywhere.  What's in this for him?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 09:26:37 PM »

Gilmore must know he won't get anywhere.  What's in this for him?

You could ask him the same thing in 2007.  Just like you could have asked Duncan Hunter the same question.  Or Tommy Thompson.  Or Chris Dodd.

Many of the "third tier" candidates in presidential races are "message" candidates who know they can't win, but want to promote their pet issues.  But then you have people like Gilmore and Pataki, who are just offering the usual party orthodoxy already being advocated by a dozen other candidates.  I've never understodd why such people run.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »

There is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 11:13:27 PM »

I seriously bet he is just running because he is bored. It's like, what else is he going to do?
Krago
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2015, 11:22:42 PM »

Anyone heard from Bob Ehrlich lately?  With 18 candidates, the Republicans could put on a baseball game.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2015, 11:39:40 PM »

Anyone heard from Bob Ehrlich lately? 

A few days ago, he posted this on Facebook about Obama being "the most anti-Israel president in my lifetime":

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153463300499044&id=12251529043

I think we should start spamming his Facebook page with the question "When are you going to announce your candidacy?"  Maybe that'll prompt him to answer.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 12:17:35 PM »

Who the hell is that? *Checks Wikipedia*
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »

Who the hell is that? *Checks Wikipedia*

The man who popularized the phrase "Rudy McRomney":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/18/AR2007051801800.html
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 10:59:15 AM »

After getting crushed in that Senate race by Mark Warner? lol

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, what experience is that? Losing a Senate race by 30 points?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2015, 11:01:07 AM »

Anyone heard from Bob Ehrlich lately?  With 18 candidates, the Republicans could put on a baseball game.

Two Baseball games, actually...you only need nine on the field at a time.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 12:58:53 PM »

Not really "popularized" so much as happened to say it at some point when a camera was near him but no one was really listening anyway.
DS0816
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 08:12:22 AM »

I seriously bet he is just running because he is bored. It's like, what else is he going to do?

The Republican Party presidential primaries is a good PR move for has-beens and never-was "candidates." In this trash heap, a nominee will eventually emerge.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies