Mississippi not taking gay marriage ruling well
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:33:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi not taking gay marriage ruling well
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mississippi not taking gay marriage ruling well  (Read 4863 times)
Panda Express

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:34:04 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/politicalledger/2015/06/26/bryant-gay-marriage/29327433/
http://www.newsweek.com/following-supreme-court-decision-mississippi-may-stop-issuing-any-marriage-347740
CountryClassSF

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 12:36:50 AM »

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/29417351/attorney-general-jim-hood-the-supreme-courts-decision-is-not-immediately-effective-in-mississippi

Please refer all inquiries to Jim Hood (D-MS). 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:39:30 AM »

Mississippi still an embarrassment? Surprising.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 12:43:12 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2015, 12:46:02 AM by shua »

If they do a careful reading of the SCOTUS opinion, I think they will find it creates a precedent that says there is a fundamental right to a marriage license or certificate.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 12:43:18 AM »

LOL. Eliminating civil marriage licensing entirely would be far more destructive to the insitution of marriage than the legalization of SSM is.

Still, nice to see a democrat that respects the word of god.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 01:25:56 AM »

He may be the last one left.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 01:48:55 AM »

Pretty sure the word of God is to not be a tool.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 01:59:34 AM »

He may be the last one left.

Nah.

Per http://thehill.com/homenews/house/291097-bucking-the-trend-the-house-democrats-who-oppose-gay-marriage

* = defeated/retired in 2014

DEMOCRATS WHO OPPOSE GAY MARRIAGE:

Rep. John Barrow (D-Ga.)*

Rep. Sanford Bishop (D-Ga.)

Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas)

Rep. Bill Enyart (D-Ill.)*

Rep. Pete Gallego (D-Texas)*

Rep. Gene Green (D-Texas)

Rep. Dan Lipinski (D-Ill.)

Rep. Jim Matheson (D-Utah)*

Rep. Mike McIntyre (D-N.C.)*

Rep. Collin Peterson (D-Minn.)

Rep. Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.)*

DEMOCRATS WHO HAVEN’T TAKEN A DEFINITIVE POSITION ON GAY MARRIAGE:

Rep. Jim Costa (D-Calif.)

Rep. Filemon Vela (D-Texas)

Rep. Ron Kind (D-Wis.)

Rep. Cedric Richmond (D-La.)

Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.)

Rep. David Scott (D-Ga.)

Rep. Terry Sewell (D-Ala.)

Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.)

Rep. Pete Visclosky (D-Ind.)

Other notable ones include Sen. Joe Manchin and Former Rep. Travis Childers.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 02:04:40 AM »

You're aware that the bible is 100% written by man and is a compilation and synthesis of various parallel narratives over the course of hundreds of years, right? There is no word of god; she has been quite mum on the issue.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 02:07:12 AM »

You're aware that the bible is 100% written by man and is a compilation and synthesis of various parallel narratives over the course of hundreds of years, right? There is no word of god; she has been quite mum on the issue.

First of all, the Christian god is male. 2nd, the bible was directly inspired by the spoken word and guidance of god.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 02:11:05 AM »

First of all, the Christian god is male. 2nd, the bible was directly inspired by the spoken word and guidance of god.

Much of the Bible was written hundreds of years after the events they were writing about.

Ample time for messages to be misremembered.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 02:12:56 AM »

^^This. This so hard.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 02:22:59 AM »

“For a long time I [God] have kept silent, I have been quiet and held myself back. But now, like a woman in childbirth, I cry out, I gasp and pant.” (Isa. 42:14)

“As a mother comforts her child, so will I [God] comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem.” (Isa. 66:13)

“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I [God] will not forget you!” (Isa. 49:15)

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 02:49:48 AM »

Yes, I'm sure that's what your preacher told you. It's much more convenient to just buy into what he said and never critically look at the bible's origins, is it not?

The bible is not directly inspired or the direct spoken word of god at all. It is a compilation of oral tradition, poetry, legends, myths, and bronze age legal structure over a 500-1,000 year span. Evidence suggests that the compilation was catalyzed by the need to create a script that could preserve the culture of a nation of exiles, to act as a glue to keep them together and to inculcate their values on their children. The old testament is the combination of four major narratives (the documentary hypothesis). This is why the old testament is riddled with contradictions and repetitions. This is why various parts of the bible don't show up in the archaeological record at all. This is why it is quite clear that books like Exodus are evidently works of fiction. When read in ancient hebrew, it no longer  monotheism but monolatry (and makes numerous passages make a lot more sense).

Moreover, even if it was "divinely inspired," NYMillenial hits the issue on the head here. Various authorships and translations have transformed the stories and added, removed, or modified narratives when it was politically expedient to do so. It would be impossible to determine which sections were "divinely inspired" and which were not.

The bible is cruel, misogynistic, homophobic, slave-abiding, intolerant, and inconsistent not because god is, but because it is a reflection of the authors and its time.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 03:18:48 AM »

* = defeated/retired in 2014

DEMOCRATS WHO OPPOSE GAY MARRIAGE:

Rep. John Barrow (D-Ga.)*

Rep. Sanford Bishop (D-Ga.)

Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas)

Rep. Bill Enyart (D-Ill.)*

Rep. Pete Gallego (D-Texas)*

Rep. Gene Green (D-Texas)

Rep. Dan Lipinski (D-Ill.)

Rep. Jim Matheson (D-Utah)*

Rep. Mike McIntyre (D-N.C.)*

Rep. Collin Peterson (D-Minn.)

Rep. Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.)*

I like how most of them lost last year.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 08:19:35 AM »

DEMOCRATS WHO HAVEN’T TAKEN A DEFINITIVE POSITION ON GAY MARRIAGE:

Rep. Jim Costa (D-Calif.)

Rep. Filemon Vela (D-Texas)

Rep. Ron Kind (D-Wis.)

Rep. Cedric Richmond (D-La.)

Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.)

Rep. David Scott (D-Ga.)

Rep. Terry Sewell (D-Ala.)

Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.)

Rep. Pete Visclosky (D-Ind.)

The two guys in bold above are not in sync with their district's opinion, and way out of sync with the Dem primary voters I would think. I suspect that they will make clear that they support SSM now.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 09:11:31 AM »

Jim Hood has always been a stickler for technicalities. Not sure whether I'm surprised by this, because he has used technicalities to support gay rights before.

I guess Hood thinks if he can delay gay marriage by a few days it doesn't really matter in the long run, but it will help him win votes in November. If this does drag on longer than a few more days, he'll lose my vote, obviously.

ETA: Kinda unfair to single out Mississippi when we aren't the only state in non-compliance, isn't it?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 09:34:35 AM »

Step 1: Republicans abolish marriage altogether in a sore loser fit.
Step 2: When no one is getting married anymore, Republicans claim they were right all along about a gay marriage decision destroying the institution of marriage.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 09:38:20 AM »

A lot of them actually took it pretty well, but there are those who I knew would go into a tantrum, and this appears to be one.

Any word out of Roy Moore? I haven't seen anything. No orders to ignore the Supreme Court ruling?

You're aware that the bible is 100% written by man and is a compilation and synthesis of various parallel narratives over the course of hundreds of years, right?

+10, yes exactly.

Even if people are to go back to religion in these debates I like to think like Francis Bacon: Better to have no opinion of God than one that is unworthy of him.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 09:48:49 AM »

Actually, surprisingly sensible. Government should not be in the business of regulating sexual intercourse.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 08:14:05 PM »

After the Brown v. Board of Education decision, Virginia decided to try a strategy to shut down their public school systems, rather than have integrated schools.  Same idea:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_resistance

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 08:17:45 PM »

After the Brown v. Board of Education decision, Virginia decided to try a strategy to shut down their public school systems, rather than have integrated schools.  Same idea:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_resistance

And one time two friends and I were playing Chinese checkers and one was losing so she swiped the board off the table.  That's not massive resistance, though it is what Mississippi is doing here.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 09:44:28 PM »

Jim Hood has always been a stickler for technicalities. Not sure whether I'm surprised by this, because he has used technicalities to support gay rights before.

I guess Hood thinks if he can delay gay marriage by a few days it doesn't really matter in the long run, but it will help him win votes in November. If this does drag on longer than a few more days, he'll lose my vote, obviously.

ETA: Kinda unfair to single out Mississippi when we aren't the only state in non-compliance, isn't it?

Clarification could be as simple as "the ruling applies nationwide". A stickler for legal technicalities will comply with a definitive statement by the US Supreme Court.

Will of the People
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »

Make no mistake.  Although our courts have just legalized Sodomy in all fifty states, marriage between same sex partners will NEVER be sanctioned as Holy by the Lord and Creator God and Jesus Christ.  The Lord I serve calls marriage between man and woman SACRED AND HOLY.  Governmental legislation can NEVER sanction what is profane and call it holy.  Same Sex Marriages are unclean and vile in the sight of a Holy Lord.  May God have mercy on your souls.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 07:09:05 PM »

Make no mistake.  Although our courts have just legalized Sodomy in all fifty states, marriage between same sex partners will NEVER be sanctioned as Holy by the Lord and Creator God and Jesus Christ.  The Lord I serve calls marriage between man and woman SACRED AND HOLY.  Governmental legislation can NEVER sanction what is profane and call it holy.  Same Sex Marriages are unclean and vile in the sight of a Holy Lord.  May God have mercy on your souls.

god is a lesbian.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies