Old, Dead, Irrelevant ITL (Do not use)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:37:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Old, Dead, Irrelevant ITL (Do not use)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Old, Dead, Irrelevant ITL (Do not use)  (Read 14953 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »

Final list of players for the 2016 Interactive Presidential Election Timeline (sign-ups are now closed; new registrations will not be accepted):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Twenty candidates total - 16 Republicans and 4 Democrats.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »

You know, I was really hoping I wouldn't have a competitive primary, and then the only other West Virginian on Atlas forum comes along and decides to play as Bill Gates. Tongue

This should be fun.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »

Awesome that you have returned! Excited to get this going. Smiley
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2015, 07:51:44 AM »

Yeah, I'm hyped about this!

Obviously I'd rather win myself, but part of me wants to see Trump vs. Gates. Just for the fun of it.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »

I hope to have the next round up tonight, but it will be pretty hard TBH...

Being the moderator for one of these interactive TLs is a lot more work than it seems. Tongue
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2015, 12:07:34 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2015, 12:12:01 PM by Southern Legislator darthebearnc »

IMPORTANT POST

Hi, guys. Throughout the timeline, I will use quite a few maps to help you visualize where your candidate stands in the primaries. Due to the nature of these maps (multiple candidates have to be recognized on the map in each state), I can't use colors and will instead use a single-letter code for each of the candidates. The codes are listed below; please remember yours for future reference:

Thanks! Cheesy
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2015, 03:17:42 PM »

I just finished grading the GOP speeches, and let me just say that they're all extremely impressive. I genuinely feel bad having to give some of them scores lower than 5.

Expect the final results and the Round 2 introductory post within the next two hours.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2015, 03:26:42 PM »

I just finished grading the GOP speeches, and let me just say that they're all extremely impressive. I genuinely feel bad having to give some of them scores lower than 5.

Expect the final results and the Round 2 introductory post within the next two hours.
Ok, thanks!!! So excited!!! Cheesy
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2015, 03:29:47 PM »

I'm not gonna lie, the Democratic speeches were in general like 2x better than the Republican speeches. Tongue And that has nothing to do with how much I agree with them.

But that's not to say the GOP speeches weren't great; they all were. Cheesy
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2015, 03:32:54 PM »

Expect the Round 2 introductory post (final grades included) within an hour.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »

FIRST PART OF ROUND 2 INTRODUCTORY POST

Hi guys! Cheesy

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has entered this race for doing so, and I really appreciate your support & willingness to participate! I will certainly try to make this timeline as detailed and interesting as I possibly can. Smiley

Now that the candidate sign-up part of the election is over, we can get to the real fun - the primaries. Before I explain how the primaries work, I will provide the grades for your acceptance speeches. To be honest, it was really hard to grade these, as they’re all awesome and pretty impressive. I feel bad having to give some of you lower grades than others because they all have great quality, but let me just point out that if they were graded on a 100-point scale, all of the speeches would be at least in the upper 90s. If you get a grade you are unhappy with, please consider that there will be many future opportunities to make up lost ground and do not become discouraged. I would prefer that you not PM me to complain about a bad grade, though if you sincerely believe you deserve a better grade and have actual reasons for believing so, you may contact me with your concerns (though do not assume that I will necessarily change your grade due to your complaint). Once more, do not be discouraged by a bad grade, as you will have ample opportunities to get ahead as the timeline continues. Anyway, here they are (note that the letter next to your name is not your grade; it is the single-letter code that will be used to represent your candidate on election maps used in this timeline):

As I said earlier, your acceptance speeches each get a grade on a scale of 1-5 based off of their effectiveness, the amount of detail put into them, and the amount of effort used when making them. I hope you guys are all happy with your grades, and I apologize for any wrongdoings you think I have committed. Tongue I can’t stress this enough - if you get a grade you are unhappy with, do not fret, as you will have a variety of chances to improve your standing in the future rounds.

As I explained earlier, the grades given for the acceptance speeches are vital in the primary stage of the campaign. You will soon figure out why this is. First however, here is a little review of how the primaries work from my first post:

The primaries in this interactive timeline will be much simpler than those in real life, with all states awarding their delegates on a winner-take-all basis and only three major primary debates (one on social policy, one on economic policy, and one on foreign policy). The delegate count is as follows:

GOP Nomination: 2,470 total delegates; 1,236 needed to win

Democratic Nomination: 4,483 total delegates; 2,242 needed to win

There is no difference between a delegate and a super-delegate in this timeline - essentially, the winner of each state's primary wins all of that state's delegates and the winner of the overall party nomination must merely win the majority of the nationwide delegates.

Information on the amount of delegates per state for the primaries can be found here:

GOP Nomination:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/R-Alloc.phtml

^For the GOP nomination, scroll down to the first graph on the page and look at the last column ('Total Delegates') to find the amount of delegates per state/territory.

Democratic Nomination:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/D-Alloc.phtml

^For the Democratic nomination, scroll down to the last graph on the page titled "Estimated Allocation Sorted Alphabetically" and look at the last column ('Total Delegate Votes') to find the amount of delegates per state/territory.

All primaries will be held on the same day.

The primary campaign for this interactive timeline is divided into five rounds. In each of the five rounds of the primaries, 'Candidate Points' (CPs) are dispersed among the states in order to improve a candidate's primary performance in that state. For example, if Rand Paul has ten candidate points in the fourth stage, Rand Paul can, during his turn, disperse his candidate points throughout the United States in order to increase his performance in each of these states. Rand Paul can put all ten candidate points in one state, put one candidate point each in ten states, or come up with whatever combination he wants to in order to maximize his efficiency as a candidate.

However, CPs can also be used to negatively affect another candidate. For example, Rand Paul can use one or more of his CPs to attack Chris Christie. From now on, CPs used to advance yourself will be called Positive Candidate Points (PCPs), while CPs used to harm others will be called Negative Candidate Points (NCPs). Each PCP has the exact same value as an NCP, though, of course, the two have opposite effects. For example, if Chris Christie has two PCPs in South Carolina, but Rand Paul has used two NCPs in South Carolina against Chris Christie, Chris Christie now has a net total of 0 CPs in South Carolina (the NCPs cancel out the PCPs). A candidate can also have a negative net total of CPs in a state, which will certainly hurt that candidate during the primaries.

The first round (Round 1) of the primaries has already been determined. Round 1 was based solely off of qualities each candidate has that you cannot change. Each candidate has already been given PCPs in certain states based off of that candidate’s qualities. The three qualities that have been used to determine where each candidate has been given their first PCPs are listed below:

1. Home State - Each candidate gets 10 PCPs in their home state. The home state is the state that the candidate has most recently held government office in. For example, Hillary's home state is New York, not Arkansas, as she has most recently held government office in New York. For the four candidates (Carly Fiorina, Ben Carson, Donald Trump, and Bill Gates) that haven't held government office before, Carly Fiorina's home state is California, while Ben Carson's is Maryland. Bill Gates’ home state is Washington, while Trump's is New York. Here is a map to show which candidates get 10 home state PCPs in each state:

GOP Nomination:

(Clarifications: A 'C' is in New Jersey and an 'E' is in Maryland.)

Democratic Nomination:

2. Ideologically Similar States - Each candidate gets 3 PCPs in states that generally have similar political ideologies to that candidate. For example, Bernie Sanders gets 3 PCPs in New Hampshire, as New Hampshire Democrats are ideologically similar to Bernie Sanders. I have tried to make each candidate get the same amount of PCPs for ideologically similar states in order to keep things fair (Republicans each get eight states and Democrats each get twenty-nine states). Here is a map to show where each candidate gets PCPs for ideological similarity (sorry if things are a bit 100% off, I’m not the best at analyzing state politics):

GOP Nomination:

(Clarifications: A 'J' is in LA, an 'X' is in WV, 'P' and 'E' are in MD, 'E' and 'C' are in DE, 'E', 'C', and 'P' are in NJ, CT, and MA, 'E' and 'C' are in RI, 'B' and 'C' are in VT, 'F' and 'M' are in HI, and 'P', 'X', and 'G' are in NH.)

Democratic Nomination:

(Clarifications: 'GCS' in HI, MD, DE, and NJ; 'GS' in MA, CT, RI, and VT; 'GWS' in NH.

3. Bordering States - Generally, candidates will do better than usual in states that are in the same general region as their home state. Because of this, each candidate gets 3 PCPs in states that border their state. For example, Bernie Sanders gets 3 more PCPs in New Hampshire because New Hampshire borders Vermont. Candidates will also get 3 extra PCPs in states that aren't their home states but that they are generally politically affiliated with to a significant extent. For example, Hillary Clinton gets 3 extra PCPs in Arkansas. Here is a map to show where each candidate gets PCPs for bordering states:

GOP Nomination:

(Clarifications: 'DP' in VT, MA, and CT; 'DPS' in NJ; 'CES' in DE; 'S' in MD; 'SEXK' in WV (LOL)).

Democratic Nomination:

(Clarifications: 'W' in MD; 'C' in NJ and CT; 'CS' in MA.)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »

SECOND PART OF ROUND 2 INTRODUCTORY POST

The second round (Round 2) of the primaries is based off of your acceptance speeches. In order to see how many CPs you have, multiply your grade by six. For example, if you got a grade of four, you get twenty-four CPs in this round. You may put your CPs in whatever states you would like and may disperse them however you would like. In your next post, please indicate where you would like to use your CPs. Indicate how many CPs go to which states, and indicate whether the CPs will be used as PCPs or NCPs. If they will be used as NCPs, indicate which candidate you would like to attack. Here is an example of what Lincoln Chafee might do, if he has thirty CPs this round (and if he was stupid):

"I would like 10 PCPs in Maine, and I would like 20 NCPs for Hillary Clinton in Nevada."

Obviously, no sane person would do that^, but that is an example of what you can do nonetheless. Note that a candidate can have a negative net total of CPs in a state if somebody uses enough NCPs against them.

To indicate where you would like to put your CPs for this round, please post within the next 48 hours. If you do not post within the next 48 hours, I will PM you and give you 12 more hours to post. If you post after the time limit ends or do not post, your turn will be skipped and your CPs for this stage will be thrown into the Volcanic CP Pit of Shame.

The amount of Candidate Points you get for rounds 3-5 will be determined based off of your performances in the three debates (one on social policy, one on economic policy, and one on foreign policy). Stage 3 (social policy debate) will begin after Stage 2 ends.

After Stage 5 is concluded, the results of the primaries will be posted. You get all of the delegates in each state that you win. The primary results in each state will pretty much be determined based solely off of the amount of CPs each candidate has in each state.

Some Final Notes:

1. At the national conventions for each party, it is likely that nobody will achieve the required number of delegates to win the nomination and we will see brokered conventions in both parties. If this is the case, I will use an algorithm based loosely off of the alternative vote in order to determine who wins the nomination. Essentially, the last place candidate (least amount of delegates) will be eliminated and their delegates will go to the candidate who won second place in each state that the delegates came from. For example, if Carly Fiorina has the least delegates and all of her delegates come from Kansas and Mississippi, she will be eliminated. Then, the Kansas delegates will go to the second-place finisher in Kansas and the Mississippi delegates will go to the second-place finisher in Mississippi. This process will continue until one candidate per party gets a majority of the delegates.

2. Please note that you can (and should) also spend your CPs on the District of Columbia, U.S. Territories, etc. though no initial CPs have been allocated to those places (except for a few in DC).

3. The endorsement process is TBD. Sorry about that! Sad It's quite hard being a moderator and I am still in the process of figuring out how endorsements will work.

4. You can drop out of the race any time you want by simply posting your intention to do so. However, for the billionth time, do not be discouraged by a bad announcement speech grade because you will have ample time to get ahead once more.

5. I have a few extra CPs to award this round! Here they are (when you post your Round 2 CP allocations, please tell me of any extra CPs I gave you here so I don't accidentally accuse you of cheating):

- 3 extra to Rick Perry for a phenomenal announcement speech.
- 3 extra to Bobby Jindal for the extra speech he wrote.
- 1 extra to Donald Trump for announcing his campaign staff.
- 5 extra to everyone who did the extra credit from a while ago regarding inviting new participants and told me before this was posted.
- 3 extra to everyone who did a condolence announcement for George Pataki.
- 0 extra to anyone who purposely does extra stuff from now on in order to get extra CPs.

The Actual Final Note:

Remember, you have 48 hours to post your CP allocations for the second stage (you can't save CPs for future rounds; use them all now). If you have any questions regarding anything in this interactive timeline, feel free to contact me. Find the amount of CPs that you get by multiplying your acceptance speech score by six. After this round ends, I will post statistics and maps that detail how well each candidate is doing in each state. Good luck, and have fun! Cheesy
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »

Mod you have poll numbers or something to guide our decisions about CPs? I'm Bill Gates, I'll pay for an internal.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2015, 05:12:35 PM »

Mod you have poll numbers or something to guide our decisions about CPs? I'm Bill Gates, I'll pay for an internal.

I'll release them ASAP
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »

I'll release them ASAP

For all 50 states?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2015, 05:26:51 PM »

Campaign Staff
Campaign Manager  Matt Rhoades
Deputy Campaign Manager  Adam Brandon
Finance Director   Foster Friess and David Koch
Director of African American Outreach  Herman Cain
Director of Hispanic Outreach  Congressman Raùl Labrador
Veterans Coalition Director   Lt. Colonel Oliver North
Director of Democratic Outreach  Jim Matheson
Polling Director Scott Rasmussen

The Santorum Campaign would also like internals polls paid for by our Finance Directors for all 50 states, If possible???

Those are all MAJOR people joining your team - Rasmussen, Matheson, North, Labrador, Cain, Koch - and equate to big endorsements. I object to being able to claim anyone you want on your team.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »

This is very thorough. Excited to get started!
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »

Campaign Staff

The Santorum Campaign would also like internals polls paid for by our Finance Directors for all 50 states, If possible???

Those are all MAJOR people joining your team - Rasmussen, Matheson, North, Labrador, Cain, Koch - and equate to big endorsements. I object to being able to claim anyone you want on your team.

It would probably best to go with the campaigns' actual staffs then. Except for Bill Gates, of course.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2015, 05:34:29 PM »

Campaign Staff

It would probably best to go with the campaigns' actual staffs then. Except for Bill Gates, of course.

I support this
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »

Also Santorums staff isn't posted online. Like many lesser polling candidates
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »

Campaign Staff
Campaign Manager  Matt Rhoades
Deputy Campaign Manager  Adam Brandon
Finance Director   Foster Friess and David Koch
Director of African American Outreach  Herman Cain
Director of Hispanic Outreach  Congressman Raùl Labrador
Veterans Coalition Director   Lt. Colonel Oliver North
Director of Democratic Outreach  Jim Matheson

I object to both DKrol and DimpledChads ideas. For starters, DimpledChad that means that you would have all of the big name Democrats and that is basically unfair to all Democratic Oponents of yours and DKrol, it wasn't a rule beforehand about that and you can also basically take anybody else you want.

I'm indifferent TBH. Darthebearnc should rule on this though. As in, clearly state how staff should be selected.
AelroseB

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »

I'd like to use 3 PCP's in West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee each, 10 PCP's in Texas and 3 NCP's in Texas against Clinton.  Additionally, 2 PCP's in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas. Finally, 1 PCP each in Indiana, Puerto Rico, Iowa, and New Hampshire.
Also, you gave me 5 extra credit CP's for bringing Beaver2.0, as well as 3 for my eulogy for Pataki  Cry .  So, 38 in total if my arithmetic is correct.

General Questions:

1.  We can make extra speeches/campaign posts for fun, right?

2.  Can there be negative CP's, due to extensive NCP's used against you?

Also can I make up my staff, and give them fake backstories?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2015, 06:09:14 PM »

NEW STAFFING POLICY

While I understand that some of you would like to choose and announce your campaign staff, I also agree with DKrol's analysis that it would be unfair to allow people to do so because that's essentially choosing your own endorsements (the endorsement policy, while TBD, will not involve allowing people to be endorsed by whomever they want Tongue).

Due to these concerns, I ask that all participants keep their campaign staff private. While I did give Trump an extra CP for announcing his staff due to creativity, that was before this controversy began. Trump can keep his extra CP for creativity, though due to the controversy, I don't think it's a good idea for people to choose/announce their own campaign staff anymore because that would be pretty unfair. Unfortunately, that means that I can't recognize the announced campaign staff of Trump and Santorum as actually being real.

Also, please remember that even though I gave out extra CPs earlier for including extra information (given to Jindal, Trump, etc.), I will no longer be doing this so it's kinda pointless to announce things like these anyway.

I apologize for the conflict and hope that everyone is able to accept the new policy. Thanks! Cheesy

NEW POLLING POLICY

You can now spend 3 CPs every round to get exclusive polling information for all fifty states. These polls will include the percentages for each candidate in each state, as well as maps that represent those percentages. The polling data is based solely off of CP allocations in each state, so you could technically calculate all the data yourself, though I don't recommend doing so because it's REALLY HARD (trust me it took me like an hour to do the Dems and will probably take me a whole lot longer to do the GOP). If you would like to buy the exclusive polls for the end of Round 1, please post your intention to buy in this thread and I will PM you with the polls as soon as possible.

I have already finished the Dem polls and am working on the GOP.

Thanks and have fun! Cheesy

-darthebearnc
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »

I'd like to use 3 PCP's in West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee each, 10 PCP's in Texas and 3 NCP's in Texas against Clinton.  Additionally, 2 PCP's in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas. Finally, 1 PCP each in Indiana, Puerto Rico, Iowa, and New Hampshire.
Also, you gave me 5 extra credit CP's for bringing Beaver2.0, as well as 3 for my eulogy for Pataki  Cry .  So, 38 in total if my arithmetic is correct.

General Questions:

Smiley

Thanks for being the first to post your allocations! I'm pretty sure that you did the arithmetic correctly (I'll check for sure when I calculate the Round 2 allocations at the end of the 48 hours) and yes, you can do extra speeches and campaign posts if you would like, though they will no longer be worth any extra CPs.

If enough NCPs are used against you, you can have a negative net total of CPs (e.g. if 10000 NCPs are used against a candidate that candidate will be in the negatives in that state).

You may create fictional staffers and talk about them if you so choose (I put that in bold so everyone will see it).

Thanks! Cheesy And feel free to ask any more questions.
AelroseB

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »

General Questions:

Smiley

Thanks for being the first to post your allocations! I'm pretty sure that you did the arithmetic correctly (I'll check for sure when I calculate the Round 2 allocations at the end of the 48 hours) and yes, you can do extra speeches and campaign posts if you would like, though they will no longer be worth any extra CPs.

If enough NCPs are used against you, you can have a negative net total of CPs (e.g. if 10000 NCPs are used against a candidate that candidate will be in the negatives in that state).

You may create fictional staffers and talk about them if you so choose (I put that in bold so everyone will see it).

Thanks! Cheesy And feel free to ask any more questions.

Great to know, thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies