Re: An update on the life of your in-house Reverend :) 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 06:31:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Re: An update on the life of your in-house Reverend :) 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 144
Author Topic: Re: An update on the life of your in-house Reverend :) 2  (Read 28757 times)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: August 19, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »

Hell, I should have moved to Oklahoma.. although I'd probably rather shoot myself first. It took me a year and a half to find a full time position after being laid off. I have a degree, and was Director of Accounting for 3 years. Luckfully, I have my own political consulting and support job, so it helped me bring in some extra cash.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #451 on: August 19, 2010, 04:13:07 PM »

While one job fell through today, I did pick up 3 more interviews in the pipeline.  I've got one tomorrow morning at 9:00, one Monday at 2:00, and another Wednesday at 1:30.  Not to mention, I still have that job that may call me tomorrow telling me to start Monday.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #452 on: August 19, 2010, 05:34:03 PM »

...the type of jobs and pay scales are a bit different, but the amount of interviews he is getting seems a bit odd.

Yes I find his ability to get interviewed very quickly to be the dead giveaway that his story is false.  I think if you apply for jobs, drop off resumes, etc., it will usually take at least a few weeks and often a few months before anything happens in response such as a call in for an interview (I can't say for sure as I have never done such things, but I would guess).

I also agree that the pay scales he mentions seem very high for Oklahoma.. I find it hard to believe that there are many jobs there paying above minimum wage, and those that are would presumably have hundred and hundreds of applicants, so again the callbacks seem very unlikely.

I don't believe it either.  I know myself I was in a high average demand field of Accounting, relatively speaking, and I didn't get interviews this easy.

These are very different kinds of jobs, though. Especially something like call center work, that is going to have a volume of positions and candidates.

Agreed, but the amount of interviews (and now with three more) seem a bit absurd.  The only way I could see it, would be is if most of these were commission based sales jobs, but even that would be a stretch.

I have had the basic thought no one can be creative enough to make the drama that is Bushie's life up, but the amount of interviews just doesn't pass the smell test.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #453 on: August 19, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »

I've learned that most call center or loan officer type positions have very high turn over rates. About 6 months ago, I was offered a position as Associate Director of HR for a international modeling agencys office here in CT. I looked into it, and found that with the exception of Sr. Directors and photographers, most call center and customer service reps leave within 3 months (for not reaching quota), and others leave within 6 months. I wasnt going to be training new people all the time as a job.

Also, I'm not an idiot. I looked into the company and it sounded like it ripped off quite a few people, so I decided not to take it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #454 on: August 19, 2010, 05:44:11 PM »

I still think government work is the best thing to do here Bushie.  Telemarketing isn't steady employment.  Nobody buys sh**t off the phone anymore.  Internet has it beat.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #455 on: August 19, 2010, 06:13:02 PM »

I still think government work is the best thing to do here Bushie.  Telemarketing isn't steady employment.  Nobody buys sh**t off the phone anymore.  Internet has it beat.

I'm staying away from telemarketing.  I know the difference between call centers and telemarketing.  Call centers deal primarily in the area of customer support for the business they serve.  Telemarketing interrupts people's dinners and just want to take money out of the pocket of the victim.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #456 on: August 19, 2010, 07:10:24 PM »

I still think government work is the best thing to do here Bushie.  Telemarketing isn't steady employment.  Nobody buys sh**t off the phone anymore.  Internet has it beat.

I'm staying away from telemarketing.  I know the difference between call centers and telemarketing.  Call centers deal primarily in the area of customer support for the business they serve.  Telemarketing interrupts people's dinners and just want to take money out of the pocket of the victim.

A lot of places will call themselves call centers even though they are really telemarketers.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #457 on: August 19, 2010, 07:22:45 PM »

A lot of places will call themselves call centers even though they are really telemarketers.

This is true, but I'm pretty good at picking apart the differences.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #458 on: August 19, 2010, 07:27:10 PM »

I still think government work is the best thing to do here Bushie.  Telemarketing isn't steady employment.  Nobody buys sh**t off the phone anymore.  Internet has it beat.

Agreed.  Even though a lot of it is mindless, it's the best thing going right now other than nursing/medical fields.  The Feds are probably the best bet now and for the next 2-3 years.  
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #459 on: August 19, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »

This is true, but I'm pretty good at picking apart the differences.

Between leaving ONG for ON-Company and the Ameriscam stuff, there isn't any evidence to support your statement.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #460 on: August 19, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »

Okie, find a good grocery chain and work your way up. It's a stable industry and you can move up.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #461 on: August 19, 2010, 09:16:42 PM »

I think I'd prefer hard labor to a call center job
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #462 on: August 19, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »

but it's not because Oklahoma is somehow lagging behind the rest of the nation.

Actually, it is, in almost every possible statistic.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #463 on: August 19, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »

Hey I work a call center job. It's not so bad. Though we take only incoming calls granted.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #464 on: August 19, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »

Hey I work a call center job. It's not so bad. Though we take only incoming calls granted.

Maybe I'm just equating it to the Dell customer service calls I make to India where the person is forced to ask me questions like "is your computer plugged in?"  Not I look down on such people, they probably have obtained higher educational degrees than me, it just seems frustrating.

I'm not sure what your job is, but I imagine Oklahoma, due to an extremely low cost of living, is probably an ideal place for a generic American call center.  I'm not sure how Minnesota factors into thatt
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #465 on: August 19, 2010, 10:37:48 PM »

but it's not because Oklahoma is somehow lagging behind the rest of the nation.

Actually, it is, in almost every possible statistic.

I was tempted to dig into a bunch of statistics to prove you wrong (gun ownership, animal-to-person ratio, etc.) but it was way too much work Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #466 on: August 19, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »

Show and tell, just a game I play when I wanna say...  I love this thread.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #467 on: August 19, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2010, 10:55:07 PM by A Tree For Trials »

Maybe I'm just equating it to the Dell customer service calls I make to India where the person is forced to ask me questions like "is your computer plugged in?"  Not I look down on such people, they probably have obtained higher educational degrees than me, it just seems frustrating.

I'm not sure what your job is, but I imagine Oklahoma, due to an extremely low cost of living, is probably an ideal place for a generic American call center.  I'm not sure how Minnesota factors into thatt

I'm senior tech support. No script, no flowcharts, none of that. It's all in my head. Those idiots you sometimes get calling in who clearly are following some script and don't know what they're doing really won't be there very long, there's a lot of turnover and attrition at first. However we keep hiring and hiring even during this recession, so for all that quit we get plenty of replacements. I see BushOklahoma as the type who wouldn't last long. Quite frankly someone who believed that ON Company and Ameriplan were fantastic career opportunities isn't someone I want helping me edit my computer's registry.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #468 on: August 19, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2010, 11:27:12 PM by Died in Arcade Fire »

Maybe I'm just equating it to the Dell customer service calls I make to India where the person is forced to ask me questions like "is your computer plugged in?"  Not I look down on such people, they probably have obtained higher educational degrees than me, it just seems frustrating.

I'm not sure what your job is, but I imagine Oklahoma, due to an extremely low cost of living, is probably an ideal place for a generic American call center.  I'm not sure how Minnesota factors into thatt

I'm senior tech support. No script, no flowcharts, none of that. It's all in my head. Those idiots you sometimes get calling in who clearly are following some script and don't know what they're doing really won't be there very long, there's a lot of turnover and attrition at first. However we keep hiring and hiring even during this recession, so for all that quit we get plenty of replacements. I see BushOklahoma as the type who wouldn't last long. Quite frankly someone who believed that ON Company and Ameriplan were fantastic career opportunities isn't someone I want helping me edit my computer's registry.

Except you work for Aqua Buddha.  There aren't any legitimate companies in Oklahoma for a call center unfortunately.  Microsoft still has a Windows 95 Support Help center for residents in Tulsa, but otherwise that's it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #469 on: August 19, 2010, 11:09:46 PM »

Carly Fiornia does not approve of keeping these jobs in the US.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #470 on: August 20, 2010, 12:08:53 AM »

...the type of jobs and pay scales are a bit different, but the amount of interviews he is getting seems a bit odd.

Yes I find his ability to get interviewed very quickly to be the dead giveaway that his story is false.  I think if you apply for jobs, drop off resumes, etc., it will usually take at least a few weeks and often a few months before anything happens in response such as a call in for an interview (I can't say for sure as I have never done such things, but I would guess).

I also agree that the pay scales he mentions seem very high for Oklahoma.. I find it hard to believe that there are many jobs there paying above minimum wage, and those that are would presumably have hundred and hundreds of applicants, so again the callbacks seem very unlikely.

Oh, stop with the minimum wage baloney ... I'm not quite sure about the truthiness of BushOK's stories, but when I was looking for a new job in 2008, I'd been interviewed and offered a very good position within two weeks.

The types of ads he's responding to are not the most lucrative positions in the world, by any means, but it's not surprising for entry-level jobs in the Great Plains to start between $24,000 and $30,000, which seems like where his range is.

I'm not surprised at the volume of interviews, either -- he's responding to anything and everything listed.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #471 on: August 20, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »

A recap of this Friday's activities.  I had two interviews this morning, nothing spectacular, but I filled out a couple applications, and I just filled out a third application just now.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #472 on: August 20, 2010, 07:21:11 PM »

A recap of this Friday's activities.  I had two interviews this morning, nothing spectacular, but I filled out a couple applications, and I just filled out a third application just now.

How's your little lady doing?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #473 on: August 20, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »

Don't reopen this pandora box.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #474 on: August 20, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »

Don't reopen this pandora box.

Too late!

This thread needs a little life injected into it anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 144  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies