Re: An update on the life of your in-house Reverend :) 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:55:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Re: An update on the life of your in-house Reverend :) 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 144
Author Topic: Re: An update on the life of your in-house Reverend :) 2  (Read 28506 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »

If you get a job as a car salesman, take it, but don't quit looking for jobs that match your skill set.  Obviously getting a job at a company where Google doesn't autocomplete the word "scam" for you after typing it into the search engine is a major upgrade, regardless.

The market is bad and I don't know how much you know/care about cars or people to convince people to buy cars they don't want or need.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2010, 07:12:55 PM »

Per wikipedia, Bell's palsy, seems to be associated with first contracting the herpes virus, and then stress. Well, the stress bit I guess we all knew about. And so it goes.

"Some viruses are thought to establish a persistent (or latent) infection without symptoms, e.g. the Zoster virus of the face[4]  and Epstein-Barr viruses, both of the herpes family. Reactivation of an existing (dormant) viral infection has been suggested[5]  as cause behind the acute Bell's palsy. Studies[6]  suggest that this new activation could be preceded by trauma, environmental factors, and metabolic or emotional disorders, thus suggesting that stress - emotional stress, environmental stress (e.g. cold), physical stress (e.g. trauma) - in short, a host of different conditions, may trigger reactivation."
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »

@Torie, wait, what?  Really?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2010, 07:15:11 PM »

If you get a job as a car salesman, take it, but don't quit looking for jobs that match your skill set.  Obviously getting a job at a company where Google doesn't autocomplete the word "scam" for you after typing it into the search engine is a major upgrade, regardless.

The market is bad and I don't know how much you know/care about cars or people to convince people to buy cars they don't want or need.

That's a good idea and will definitely take that to mind.  I want to hear more opinions, though!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2010, 07:18:07 PM »

Per wikipedia, Bell's palsy, seems to be associated with first contracting the herpes virus, and then stress. Well, the stress bit I guess we all knew about. And so it goes.

"Some viruses are thought to establish a persistent (or latent) infection without symptoms, e.g. the Zoster virus of the face[4]  and Epstein-Barr viruses, both of the herpes family. Reactivation of an existing (dormant) viral infection has been suggested[5]  as cause behind the acute Bell's palsy. Studies[6]  suggest that this new activation could be preceded by trauma, environmental factors, and metabolic or emotional disorders, thus suggesting that stress - emotional stress, environmental stress (e.g. cold), physical stress (e.g. trauma) - in short, a host of different conditions, may trigger reactivation."

Yeah, I looked it up on Web MD earlier about the herpes virus that causes cold sores.  I also believed it had to be stress related, although when we talked this last Tuesday, she sounded a lot calmer, but I guess the outside appearances can be deceiving.  If Bell's Palsy starts out being mistaken for a stroke, and a stroke is partly caused by stress, then I just put two and two together considering what she's been through really since middle July.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »

Oooooooooops.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #281 on: August 14, 2010, 07:20:29 PM »

Oooooooooops.

It's the cold sore type herpes per Web MD, so no need to be alarmed..
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #282 on: August 14, 2010, 07:32:42 PM »

I know you worked in some similar capacity before, but I don't see you as much of a car salesman ... although you just said the interview was at a dealership and didn't specify what the position would be. I'm going to assume it's a sales position, since you didn't correct Lunar.

I've said this before: sales is very, very difficult. There are very few people who are "good" at it, who can do it consistently and who can make a career out of it. There are many people who try and fail miserably, and there are many, many others who have no desire to ever be in a position where they have to sell something.

I would say that step one for accepting a job like that is to assess whether or not you're any good at selling.

On the "positive" side, that's going to take charisma, enthusiasm, an ability to read people and adapt to varying situations and quick thinking. On the more "negative" side (at least what people view as negative traits of salespeople), it takes craftiness and the ability to turn negatives into positives. People always want to "beat" salesmen, so you have to anticipate that and either disarm them immediately or craft your pitch differently so that later concessions aren't actually damaging to your sale.

And secondly, even if you are good at "sales," do you have any interest whatsoever in the product that you'll be selling?

The positive traits of a salesperson shine and the negative traits become almost unnecessary when they have a deep-seated interest in what they're selling. If you don't have a passion for automobiles (or don't think you could develop one), then it may very well not be a good choice of profession. Salespeople who do not believe in what they're selling often fall flat.

They say they offer a base salary, and before I sign anything, I'm going to get that IN WRITING.  What is this forum's opinions of working for car dealerships?  I'm interested in hearing your opines over the next 2 1/2 days.

Ummm, yeah -- why don't you actually do that this time. I (and several others) told you to do that with Ameriplan, and since you've ignored all questions relating to the "$600 a week base salary" (and haven't PMed anyone who has inquired in order to set the record straight), my guess is you blew off our advice and didn't do it.

I don't know what commission is like for car salesmen, so make absolutely sure you have a full understanding of the base salary and the quota expectations ... because if you aren't successful, you'll be out on your ass pretty quick.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #283 on: August 14, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »

"Some viruses are thought to establish a persistent (or latent) infection without symptoms, e.g. the Zoster virus of the face[4]  and Epstein-Barr viruses, both of the herpes family. Reactivation of an existing (dormant) viral infection has been suggested[5]  as cause behind the acute Bell's palsy. Studies[6]  suggest that this new activation could be preceded by trauma, environmental factors, and metabolic or emotional disorders, thus suggesting that stress - emotional stress, environmental stress (e.g. cold), physical stress (e.g. trauma) - in short, a host of different conditions, may trigger reactivation."

Even if you were interpreting what Wikipedia is saying correctly (and you're not; it's saying it's been implicated as one possible cause of Bell's palsy, whereas you're implying that herpes causes every case), it's still not the kind of herpes you're implying it is; like BushOK has been saying repeatedly, it's HSV-1, i.e. cold sore herpes, that's being implicated.  Zoster is shingles; Epstein-Barr is mono.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #284 on: August 14, 2010, 07:46:06 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2010, 07:51:37 PM by Lunar »

And secondly, even if you are good at "sales," do you have any interest whatsoever in the product that you'll be selling?

Indeed.  While anything, even if they fire you in two weeks, is better than AmeriPlan, when it comes down to sales, it seems to me like you have to either love your product or be manipulative to be able to market it well.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #285 on: August 14, 2010, 07:58:33 PM »

If you get a job as a car salesman, take it, but don't quit looking for jobs that match your skill set.  Obviously getting a job at a company where Google doesn't autocomplete the word "scam" for you after typing it into the search engine is a major upgrade, regardless.

According to what he wrote on FB, he's not even looking to replace Ameriplan.  Getting a real job is something he hopes to do to survive until Ameriplan starts making him enough $ to live off that exclusively....srsly
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #286 on: August 14, 2010, 08:01:45 PM »

Indeed.  While anything, even if they fire you in two weeks, is better than AmeriPlan, when it comes down to sales, it seems to me like you have to either love your product or be manipulative to be able to market it well.

I think I can be a good salesman.  It'll be tough, but if I just follow their system, I should be alright.  I also need to focus on what will best meet my customer's needs.  I'm kind of looking forward to it.  Like I said, I'm going to get the base salary in writing as well as what I have to do to just get that.  We'll see, though.  Their website also says they offer the standard benefits, Medical, Dental, 401(k) with match, and paid holidays and paid vacation.  I'm going to make sure I get that in writing as well.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #287 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:22 PM »

Even if you were interpreting what Wikipedia is saying correctly (and you're not; it's saying it's been implicated as one possible cause of Bell's palsy, whereas you're implying that herpes causes every case), it's still not the kind of herpes you're implying it is; like BushOK has been saying repeatedly, it's HSV-1, i.e. cold sore herpes, that's being implicated.  Zoster is shingles; Epstein-Barr is mono.

OK, thanks for the info. I am not an MD.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #288 on: August 14, 2010, 08:04:08 PM »

I think I can be a good salesman.  It'll be tough, but if I just follow their system, I should be alright.  I also need to focus on what will best meet my customer's needs.  I'm kind of looking forward to it.  Like I said, I'm going to get the base salary in writing as well as what I have to do to just get that.  We'll see, though.  Their website also says they offer the standard benefits, Medical, Dental, 401(k) with match, and paid holidays and paid vacation.  I'm going to make sure I get that in writing as well.

Dear Jeff,

I'm a little bit drunk right now, but I don't want to write anything that would give me infraction points.

Thus, I'll just say this: spare us

Sincerely,
The Internets
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #289 on: August 14, 2010, 08:06:27 PM »

According to what he wrote on FB, he's not even looking to replace Ameriplan.  Getting a real job is something he hopes to do to survive until Ameriplan starts making him enough $ to live off that exclusively....srsly

Srsly?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2010, 08:12:01 PM »

I think I can be a good salesman.  It'll be tough, but if I just follow their system, I should be alright.  I also need to focus on what will best meet my customer's needs.

Don't you have Tourette's? Or am I thinking of someone else?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »

I can see it.

Interviewer: "Do you have any experience in sales"
Bushie: "Uhhh, ummm, I sold some scam insurance to my own parents and grandmother"
Interviewer: "When can you start?"
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2010, 08:17:19 PM »

OK, thanks for the info. I am not an MD.

Me neither, so if you find something to contradict let us know Smiley
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: August 14, 2010, 08:19:10 PM »

I think I can be a good salesman.  It'll be tough, but if I just follow their system, I should be alright.  I also need to focus on what will best meet my customer's needs.

Don't you have Tourette's? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes, I do have Tourette's, though it is very minimal right now.  I have a slight speech impediment in stressful situations, but when I'm focused and relaxed at the same time, I do fine.  It's when I'm not focused that i have problems.  i actually think that might be an advantage for me as the customers might see me as someone who has a handicap just like many of them, and might be willing to listen to be a little more.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #294 on: August 14, 2010, 08:29:53 PM »

Probably not best do a sales job that depends on commission then.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #295 on: August 14, 2010, 09:05:41 PM »

Just to make it clear, bells palsy is usually brought on by lyme disease, or a cold sore. I've been living with it for nearly 4 years now. I spent about 5 months with the left side of my face paralyzed, thus why people think stroke. It is something you can end up living with the rest of your life with, but the face regains muscle strength anywhere from a week, to a few months after yÓu get it. Its not something that will disable you... You just take steroids to try and get the muscles working.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #296 on: August 14, 2010, 09:10:15 PM »

Just to make it clear, bells palsy is usually brought on by lyme disease, or a cold sore. I've been living with it for nearly 4 years now. I spent about 5 months with the left side of my face paralyzed, thus why people think stroke. It is something you can end up living with the rest of your life with, but the face regains muscle strength anywhere from a week, to a few months after you get it. Its not something that will disable you... You just take steroids to try and get the muscles working.

You're a trooper sir.  I grew up in a rural area with a lot of ticks, and it's most certainly a real thang
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #297 on: August 14, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »

Just to make it clear, bells palsy is usually brought on by lyme disease, or a cold sore. I've been living with it for nearly 4 years now. I spent about 5 months with the left side of my face paralyzed, thus why people think stroke. It is something you can end up living with the rest of your life with, but the face regains muscle strength anywhere from a week, to a few months after you get it. Its not something that will disable you... You just take steroids to try and get the muscles working.

You're a trooper sir.  I grew up in a rural area with a lot of ticks, and it's most certainly a real thang

I know someone who had it really bad for 2 years, but then mostly or completely (I'm not sure) recovered.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #298 on: August 14, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »

I didn't talk to her today, I wanted to give her time to rest, but I'll try to talk to her tomorrow and see how she's doing.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #299 on: August 14, 2010, 10:46:41 PM »

I met someone down in Dallas who used to be on this forum sometime ago.  This person went by the screen name "texaslefty".  She said she would be glad to counsel Susan and me should we need it!!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 144  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies