Transableism.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:05:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Transableism.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Transableism.  (Read 2650 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:40:23 PM »

So this is a thing I just discovered as real.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/becoming-disabled-by-choice-not-chance-transabled-people-feel-like-impostors-in-their-fully-working-bodies

I'm more interested in reading thoughts about this, particularly from certain posters, because I don't quite know what to make of this, personally.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 11:42:50 PM »

My immediate reaction to this is to take deep personal offense.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:16:35 AM »

My initial impression was that this was some ridiculous, offensive mental exercise attacking transgender people.

Anyhow, people have full ownership of their bodies and should be free to "modify" them however they want to.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:25:12 AM »

My mom became disabled and eventually bed ridden before she finally died from said complications.

She wished every day she could have her mobility back.  I hope these weirdos do too.

I mean...what I want to say would be infracted.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:34:13 AM »

Isn't this the definition of body integrity identity disorder?
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 12:54:56 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2015, 12:58:53 AM by Reluctant Republican »

I recall studying this in college and being struck with some similarities. It's a tough issue. As the article says, The folks who struggle with it seem not to want treatment. They often claim they know that the limb in question does not belong or feel right on their body. I seem to recall Doctor Vilayanur Ramachandran, a pioneer in dealing with phantom limps and pain, was able to use therapy with mirrors to sort of trick the brain into accepting the limb somewhat. It helped alleviate the discomfort of the sufferers. But even then, they still expressed  a desire to remove the limb.

It fascinates me, and is really a rather interesting ethical dilemma. I'm interested in some of the hostility towards this condition. Their seem to be enough people that suffer through it where it seems very real, though it is easy to conflate it with a fetish. It's probably  a touchy subject, given this seems rather insane to someone not suffering through it, and many of the people who do have it try to conflate it with Transsexualism(I hope that's the correct term) in general.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 01:43:48 AM »

One thing both theology and psychoanalysis should have taught us by now is that self-destructive urges are a common feature of human life. These people are not so strange for feeling this way, it is just one manifestation of a universal problem. A much, much larger portion of the population, I would bet, feels this urge in some sense, but manage somehow not to let it control them so much that they seek out amputation.  I worry about this idea that hacking off healthy limbs constitutes treatment, because it concedes all the power to the urge and the feeling of not-rightness, the exact opposite of what is prescribed in cognitive-behavioral treatment for OCD and other mental illness.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 07:28:50 AM »

This is utter f**king insanity.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 08:19:55 AM »

Looks like a psychological pathology to me. It should be treated, but certainly not encouraged.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »

Seems like an odd case of phantom limb (or the reverse, I guess) to me.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 12:00:31 PM »

Neurologists have tentatively concluded there is a real and tangible difference between the brains of men and women, which can explain much of the symptoms we call "gender dysphoria". This is not a factor in people wishing they have only one arm.

I mean, pschyatrists should determine whether these people are best treated or whether it's best to allow them to go through with such a procedure, but it is a different kettle of fish...
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 12:43:31 PM »

These people are very clearly severely mentally ill. I get that anyone who is disabled or knows someone who is would be incredibly offended by this, but these people need help.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 12:51:17 PM »

Are we going to siphon off every peculiarity into an "ism" that has its own rights and interests? It seems that every mental illness wants to be a demographic, and every strange characteristic wants to be a mental illness.

I mean, a compulsion to chop off your leg does seem like the thing that probably belongs in a psychiatrist's hands, though...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »

Looks like a psychological pathology to me. It should be treated, but certainly not encouraged.
This. This man has to be mentally ill.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 07:50:28 PM »

Neurologists have tentatively concluded there is a real and tangible difference between the brains of men and women, which can explain much of the symptoms we call "gender dysphoria". This is not a factor in people wishing they have only one arm.

I mean, pschyatrists should determine whether these people are best treated or whether it's best to allow them to go through with such a procedure, but it is a different kettle of fish...

But isn't the difference between folks with one arm and folks with two arms the most fundamental division in our society? Wink
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 09:22:06 PM »

Are we going to siphon off every peculiarity into an "ism" that has its own rights and interests? It seems that every mental illness wants to be a demographic, and every strange characteristic wants to be a mental illness.

That is the inevitable consequences of a) putting great emphasis on personal autonomy and freedom of choice with b) arguing that certain human characteristics are beyond choice and that c) these may be differ in individuals (i.e. there is a natural variation in human characteristics, our differences are who are we are).

Given this there is no really intellectual consistent way that these people can be considered any more 'ill' than the transgendered (neither can otherkin fwiw) no matter what we may feel otherwise.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 09:23:51 PM »

...yes, this is blatantly a mental illness.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 09:32:01 PM »

What makes this more of a mental illness than claiming you are a woman when you have an XY Chromosone? What consistent system defines one as a mental illness and the other as not? Especially as both may involve surgery.

Of course you may argue that both are mental illnesses in which case all I say is that these people exist, now what are you going to do about it?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 09:34:30 PM »

What makes this more of a mental illness than claiming you are a woman when you have an XY Chromosone? What consistent system defines one as a mental illness and the other as not? Especially as both may involve surgery.

Of course you may argue that both are mental illnesses in which case all I say is that these people exist, now what are you going to do about it?

I am admittedly unsure about much of...anything related to the psychology of gender dysphoria, so I'll pass.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 11:12:31 PM »

This. This man has to be mentally ill.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 09:37:43 AM »

This is indicative of a very profoundly disturbed individual who needs help. I wonder if that couldn't even be some kind of schizophrenia?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 09:42:07 AM »

That is the inevitable consequences of a) putting great emphasis on personal autonomy and freedom of choice with b) arguing that certain human characteristics are beyond choice and that c) these may be differ in individuals (i.e. there is a natural variation in human characteristics, our differences are who are we are).

Given this there is no really intellectual consistent way that these people can be considered any more 'ill' than the transgendered (neither can otherkin fwiw) no matter what we may feel otherwise.

I'm going to disagree with you here. We can see, and it is generally hypothesised ,that there are real and tangible differences between the neurology of men and women. When such differences contradict the reality of the body the brain is located in (ERROR: VAGINA NOT FOUND) for whatever reason, the brain reacts by producing the symptoms labeled as gender dysphoria. These symptoms are best treated by allowing the individual to 'transition'.

This is different from so-called 'otherkin'. A developing embryo, depending on hormones and such, can either develop into a man or a woman, normally based on the influence of the 'sex chromosomes'. An embryo cannot develop into a chicken. A human can not have the brain of a Sasquatch or a dolphin. It is biologically impossible.

Likewise, one cannot have the 'brain of a one-armed individual'. There is no consequential neurological difference between people born with differing amount of limbs. This strikes me more of 'Body Dysmorphic Disorder', where people pick up on a percieved fault in their body and become obsessed with it. doctors generally advise against allowing these individuals to change themselves, because normally BDD continues after the fault is 'fixed', normally because the patient has an underlying issue (like OCD).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »

I'm going to disagree with you here. We can see, and it is generally hypothesised ,that there are real and tangible differences between the neurology of men and women. When such differences contradict the reality of the body the brain is located in (ERROR: VAGINA NOT FOUND) for whatever reason, the brain reacts by producing the symptoms labeled as gender dysphoria. These symptoms are best treated by allowing the individual to 'transition'.

This is different from so-called 'otherkin'. A developing embryo, depending on hormones and such, can either develop into a man or a woman, normally based on the influence of the 'sex chromosomes'. An embryo cannot develop into a chicken. A human can not have the brain of a Sasquatch or a dolphin. It is biologically impossible.

Likewise, one cannot have the 'brain of a one-armed individual'. There is no consequential neurological difference between people born with differing amount of limbs. This strikes me more of 'Body Dysmorphic Disorder', where people pick up on a percieved fault in their body and become obsessed with it. doctors generally advise against allowing these individuals to change themselves, because normally BDD continues after the fault is 'fixed', normally because the patient has an underlying issue (like OCD).

That makes sense as a distinction, though it is also the case then that there is nothing stopping BDD from manifesting itself as gender dysphoria, making the diagnosis very tricky.
RTX
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2015, 10:54:43 AM by RTX »

I see no difference between this guy wanting to cut off his arm and another guy wanting to mutilate himself between the legs because he feels like a woman. Both probably have some sort of chemical imbalance that is not yet well understood.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »

I see no difference between this guy wanting to cut off his arm and another guy wanting to mutilate himself between the legs because he feels like a woman. Both probably have some sort of chemical imbalance that is not yet well understood.

i see no difference between you and a bucket of elephant turds, but you don't hear me complaining about that
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies