2008: Clark vs. Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:14:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: Clark vs. Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins in this Realigning Electiomn?
Wesley Clark (AR)/ John Kerry (MA) (Democratic)
Mitt Romney (UT)/ Bobby Jindal (LA) (Republican)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: 2008: Clark vs. Romney  (Read 1061 times)
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »

Who wins?  Discuss with maps.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 06:46:07 PM »

√ Romney: 356 (53%)
Clark: 182 (46%)
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 07:40:12 PM »

No Republican is winning in 2008, especially Romney. Both VP picks are pretty terrible.

Clark/Kerry 54% 360EV
Romney/Jindal 44% 178EV
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:42:07 PM »

I'm not sure any White Democrat beats Obama in 2008...looking back (Sorry Hillary)

So how would Clark have earned the nomination?
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 08:50:50 PM »

In addition to the OTL "third term for Bush" rhetoric, Clark manages to paint Romney as a member of the Wall Street class responsible for the recent financial crisis.

Clark/Kerry - 379
Romney/Jindal - 159
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 09:22:31 PM »

Clark/Kerry-400
Romney/Jindal-138

The economy collapses, Romney is painted as the world's most out of touch candidate, and his campaign collapses as Clark runs on his experience in the military on an anti-war economically populist agenda which endears him to Americans across the country, especially in the South, where he wins such states as Georgia and his home state of Arkansas.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 02:24:44 AM »

I don't see Kerry being the VP candidate here. He was the party leader the cycle before and no way he'd be second fiddle the next election. I can see him leading the Dems in Congress or being Sec of State though. See Clark picking either Obama, Tim Kane, or Evan Bayh. Hillary would prob just be a supporter but I could see her easily being SOS or in Congress like in RL.  Obama would give him charisma or star power, but I can see him picking Bayh too. But for this sake I'll keep Kerry in this scenario.

I say it would be a close race for most of the spring and early to mid summer. Clark does well with the Democratic base and moderates while Romney has the Republican base behind him and is fighting for the Indys. The Dems focus on the anti war effort, and attack Bush. Clark is modeled to look like an Ike esque candidate. People eat that up while Romney is portrayed as a Mr Burns type figure and scares people away. Clark has a least a 5 point lead until the conventions finish.

Then the economy collapses and Clark takes off. I don't see Romney making the "fundamentals of the economy is strong," gaffe or having Palin around but his gimmick and persona is as toxic. He behaves like he did in 2012 but struggles to attract the moderates and Indys due to his desire to cut more government. Clark meanwhile focuses on improving life domestically and ending the war. The Ike type persona calms the nation.   I say Clark wins all 3 debates (especially the 3rd where Romney embarrasses himself over foreign policy,) but the VP debate's a draw and Jindal does surprisingly well. Romney hits the negative side of the plate like McCain in RL but Clark rebuffs the attacks and the public grows tired of it.

Clark/Kerry-380

Romney/Jindal-158

Clark has the lead solid after the final debate and by election day his victory was guaranteed minus a couple of states. Clark demolishes Romney nationwide and runs deep in the south picking up 5 states that were solidly for Dubya. He barely lost Indiana and Tennessee as Romney pulls them off thanks to heavy campaigning there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies