Worst 2005 UK General Election Slogan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:49:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Worst 2005 UK General Election Slogan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Worst 2005 UK General Election Slogan  (Read 1916 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2005, 05:27:40 PM »

I had been thinking that it was, “Are you thinking,what we’re thinking?’  but Labours’s latest saloe of “If 1 in 10 Labour voters don't vote, the Tories win.” has taken that honour now.  Unless Labour’s internal polls are showing something far different than the public polls, then even if that did happen, Labour would still retain the government.  So the slogan is either dishonest or desperate, neither of which it is good to be seen as if you are in politics.

Anyway, does anyone have their own preference for worst slogan and would be willing to say way?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 05:41:55 PM »

I nominate "Vote Blair - Get Brown". Not something I'd be advertising based on how well Labour is polling with Brown as leader.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 06:34:03 PM »

I nominate "Vote Blair - Get Brown". Not something I'd be advertising based on how well Labour is polling with Brown as leader.

Yes, this is easily the worst slogan. Had the Tories actually run with this, I would probably have voted Labour rather than help the Greens out of sympathy.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 06:52:28 PM »

Yes, this is easily the worst slogan. Had the Tories actually run with this, I would probably have voted Labour rather than help the Greens out of sympathy.

Are we to infer from your choice of tense that you chose to use the infamous postal vote? Smiley
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 06:56:58 PM »

Are we to infer from your choice of tense that you chose to use the infamous postal vote? Smiley

You can infer that I've been drinking and therefore my grammar ain't perfect. I'm yet to vote, though I'm effectively decided on Green to help them with the deposit issue.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 07:00:40 PM »

"Vote Blair - Get Brown" and "Are you thinking what we're thinking" are both awful, as is "Britain forward, not back."

But my vote goes to Plaid Cymru's simply atrocious slogan, "Blair Lied Vote Plaid."
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 07:22:20 PM »

I had to check prononications to make that work. That is atrocious.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 12:05:31 AM »

"Vote Blair - Get Brown" and "Are you thinking what we're thinking" are both awful, as is "Britain forward, not back."

But my vote goes to Plaid Cymru's simply atrocious slogan, "Blair Lied Vote Plaid."

Darn, and all this time I have been pronouncing it "plad". Oh well, at least I know how to pronounce Cymru. "Cum-ree" right?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 03:24:21 AM »

Labours’s latest saloe of “If 1 in 10 Labour voters don't vote, the Tories win.” has taken that honour now.  Unless Labour’s internal polls are showing something far different than the public polls, then even if that did happen, Labour would still retain the government.  So the slogan is either dishonest or desperate, neither of which it is good to be seen as if you are in politics.

Ah but we never said on a uniform swing did we Wink
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 03:34:06 AM »

Labours’s latest saloe of “If 1 in 10 Labour voters don't vote, the Tories win.” has taken that honour now.  Unless Labour’s internal polls are showing something far different than the public polls, then even if that did happen, Labour would still retain the government.  So the slogan is either dishonest or desperate, neither of which it is good to be seen as if you are in politics.

Ah but we never said on a uniform swing did we Wink

If 1 in 1000 Bush voters had voted differently, Kerry would have won.  (or 1 in 500 hadn't voted)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 04:19:22 AM »

I think that slogan is aimed at constituencies in danger of falling to LDs, Respect, a certain Independent. It's pure scaremongering.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 04:35:01 AM »

I think that slogan is aimed at constituencies in danger of falling to LDs, Respect, a certain Independent.

Doubt it; there aren't many constituencies like that. It's aimed more at (say) Finchley & Golders Green or Gillingham.
And I've no idea at all who that Indepedent might be. Why you make no sense at all Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True (that's more or less what all the parties have done this election...) but it's kind of catchy all the same Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies