2000 Without Nader? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:56:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000 Without Nader? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000 Without Nader?  (Read 3019 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 12, 2015, 02:40:39 PM »

Gore wins. All it would have taken is a net of 1% of the FL Nader vote to go to Gore, for example 97% don't vote, 2% vote Gore, and 1% vote Bush.

Gore 292
Bush 246

However, that is not the whole story. Nader may have energized enough WA voters to vote in Maria Cantwell, so she probably would have lost, making the Senate 51 R - 49 D even with Gore President. Interesting whether Jeffords would have abandoned the GOP in that scenario.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2015, 02:45:51 PM by mathstatman »

I don't know that a Gore administration would be more likely to actively prevent 9/11. But it's entirely possible it would not have happened, or would have happened substantially differently, just due to random chance.

If I recall correctly, the date was moved up when Moussaowi was caught. Maybe a different date would have been selected. I know they wanted a Tuesday, and there's probably some reason they picked 9/11 specifically, but those reasons might have been different if a whole other slew of events have happened in the last 10 months.

It's also possible that a different set of planes may have been delayed that morning. Remember, everybody's lives would have had at least slight variances in the last year. A given delay has a cause of course, but overall there is some randomness to it. (e.g. the weather that day, and leading up to that day, across the country would be completely different due to the butterfly effect.) The White House or Capitol Building may be gone, if the Pennsylvania plane wasn't delayed. Or maybe one (or both) of the towers would still be standing, if one of those planes were delayed.

Maybe a different pilot would have been caught early. Or maybe additional plotter would have been caught (e.g. wrong place, wrong time). The additional information may have led somebody, somewhere on the right path to unravel the entire plot.

My guess is 9/11, more or less, would have still happened. But there's really no way to know.
Interesting speculation. And would that poor girl have been near Gabby Giffords on 1/8/11 if her DoB had no real significance. Harrowing and sad at the same time. The butterfly effect is real.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies